Which of these set ups would be better for defensive solidarity AND effective counter attacks?

So having read a lot of different threads on this forum, I have tried to apply what I've learned to a couple of potential formations:

image.png.8634e8b410bce76b413ee6e4c878f41e.pngimage.png.13744efd6ea361ea4bc6c46c32d66e88.png

The one on the left is filled with support duties for a more fluid team shape. From my understanding this should help with players getting back to defend as a unit in line with the team mentality of defensive but also get forwards in support of the lone striker when a counter attacking situation is on. Would this possibly be too blunt with just a single attacking duty and the low mentality?

The one on the right is, alternatively, strikerless and filled with attacking duties for players ready to burst into the space in behind of a defense tempted to push higher. Would this possibly be too defensively vulnerable with the amount of attacking duties as they may be unwilling to get back?

My idea with the roles I've chosen is to have a player attacking each of the 5 vertical zones (WB, IF, PF/SS, MEZZ, W respectively from left to right). Giving me sort of the following shape:

image.png.f2f4038311b259fdc04fbcf4f16728d4.png

There are currently no PIs on either tactic but I thought of possibly adding Mark Tighter and Mark Specific Position to both my AML and AMR to encourage them to follow marauding opposition full/wing backs.

I've always been better at creating possession based tactics so was hoping the tactical gurus on this forum might be able to offer some advice on any glaring mistakes I've made with either set up that would mean I'd still get torn apart defensively and still have no joy going forwards?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Chevie

4 minutes ago, Chevie said:

The one on the left is filled with support duties for a more fluid team shape. From my understanding this should help with players getting back to defend as a unit in line with the team mentality of defensive but also get forwards in support of the lone striker when a counter attacking situation is on.

Team Fluidity just counts how many support duty players you have, that's all.  What you're talking about above is the old "Team Shape" tactical setting where we could choose between Very Fluid to Highly Structured.  We don't have that in game any more and is not the same thing as Team Fluidity.

6 minutes ago, Chevie said:

Would this possibly be too blunt with just a single attacking duty and the low mentality?

Not necessarily but have a think about where you want your attack duty player(s) to be.  Is having just your striker with an attack duty going to help your other players get up quickly in advanced positions to help him?

The best thing you can though is actually try things out.  See what works and what doesn't.  Make adjustments accordingly and if you get stuck then ask for advice :thup:.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

Team Fluidity just counts how many support duty players you have, that's all.  What you're talking about above is the old "Team Shape" tactical setting where we could choose between Very Fluid to Highly Structured.  We don't have that in game any more and is not the same thing as Team Fluidity.

Yeah, sorry, my bad there. Meant to say team fluidity rather than shape! My brain is clearly still stuck in about 2016! Haha

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Not necessarily but have a think about where you want your attack duty player(s) to be.  Is having just your striker with an attack duty going to help your other players get up quickly in advanced positions to help him?

I like the idea of my forward being the one to break in behind the central defenders to get on the end of those early crosses so the attack duty here does make sense to me in that instance.

5 minutes ago, herne79 said:

The best thing you can though is actually try things out.  See what works and what doesn't.  Make adjustments accordingly and if you get stuck then ask for advice :thup:.

Sure, this is my plan. I'm just in mid-season of a network game so not able to tweak and try the same game over and over :lol: will check how the next few matches go though :thup:

I was just hoping for a little advice of anything GLARINGLY stand out wrong that I might have missed having not tried to set up a tactic like this before.

Thanks a lot for the swift reply though @herne79 - much appreciated!