The Unofficial French League Superthread FM2021

Apologies for not posting any updates for a while but ive been away for a week.

2nd season with Lyon is becoming very interesting. I will do a full update at the end of the season, im heading into the final third of the campaign and im currently 6 points clear of PSG at the top. My only defeat was away at PSG (4-3!). PSG have suffered a couple of shock defeats, including a 2-1 defeat away at Amiens who are currently rock bottom on approx 12 points.

I got through a Champions League group which included Real Madrid and Salzburg. I got through the group and drew Benfica in the 1st knockout round, Ive still got the 2nd leg to play but Ive got a 3-0 lead to take to Lisbon.

Im also into the cup final where I will play Rennes so hopefully a great chance to win my first piece of silverware.

On the transfer front I signed Moukoko in January, could have signed him for free if I waited till June but I decided to pay £1 million to buy him straight away in January. Also got Adam Hlozek coming in June on a free. Just paid £15 million for a Brazilian 16 year old, may be a massive risk but he looks good.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

da0349d8d052f35f9d5295760e6afe4e.png

Thanks ****! Knocked out the holders :cool: They knocked me out in Semi final last season and quarter final the previous season.

They also done the bayern way like in real life, signing players to weaken the rivals.....

72e32e08d352924e70665712dea778ac.png

Sadly, I missed out on signing him for free, ended up signing new contract with Dortmund but went to Bayern for 81M next season.

Just had one of the most exciting games on this years FM. After beating Benfica in the first knockout round of the Champions League I was drawn against Man City. A poor first leg at the Etihad resulted in a 2-0 defeat. 2nd leg we started strongly and midway through the 2nd half we had a 3-1 lead. We were still going out on away goals but we scored another with not long to go until City were given a penalty in the 89th minute after a challenge from Lodi (who got sent off). This was the dream over or so I thought and they missed it!. I shut up shop and went ultra defensive and held on for a 4-3 aggregate win!

My reward? Man Utd in the semi final.

In the league, I am currently 9 points clear of PSG with 5 games to go and got a cup final against Nice. Its looking like a successful season unless I suffer a monumental bottle job.

5 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

Just had one of the most exciting games on this years FM. After beating Benfica in the first knockout round of the Champions League I was drawn against Man City. A poor first leg at the Etihad resulted in a 2-0 defeat. 2nd leg we started strongly and midway through the 2nd half we had a 3-1 lead. We were still going out on away goals but we scored another with not long to go until City were given a penalty in the 89th minute after a challenge from Lodi (who got sent off). This was the dream over or so I thought and they missed it!. I shut up shop and went ultra defensive and held on for a 4-3 aggregate win!

My reward? Man Utd in the semi final.

In the league, I am currently 9 points clear of PSG with 5 games to go and got a cup final against Nice. Its looking like a successful season unless I suffer a monumental bottle job.

Brilliant result against Man City :cool: Hopefully you can get past other Manchester too :D 

Hopefully to finish the season tonight :thup: Sadly I got knocked out by Spurs in Quarter Final :herman: Lost 3-2 at home and lost 1-0 away. *****. Also currently 7 points clear at the top.

On 18/06/2021 at 15:18, john1 said:

Brilliant result against Man City :cool: Hopefully you can get past other Manchester too :D 

Hopefully to finish the season tonight :thup: Sadly I got knocked out by Spurs in Quarter Final :herman: Lost 3-2 at home and lost 1-0 away. *****. Also currently 7 points clear at the top.

Unfortunatly not. I lost 1-0 in the home first leg and then had to go to Old Trafford where it was a far more entertaining game. I went 1-0 and 2-1 up before they grabbed a equaliser in the 2nd half. Moukoko went on an amazing run and smashed a shot against the bar late on which would have put us through on away goals but it wasnt to be. Utd went straight up the other end and scored making it 3-2 on the night and 4-2 on aggregate. Still, I got further than I expected. Ended up as league and cup winners though.

3rd season has just begun and after losing the French version of the community shield on penalties to PSG (of course!) I ve won 4 straight in the league, joint top with 12 points with PSG and St Ettiene.

On 25/06/2021 at 13:02, Mackem742 said:

Unfortunatly not. I lost 1-0 in the home first leg and then had to go to Old Trafford where it was a far more entertaining game. I went 1-0 and 2-1 up before they grabbed a equaliser in the 2nd half. Moukoko went on an amazing run and smashed a shot against the bar late on which would have put us through on away goals but it wasnt to be. Utd went straight up the other end and scored making it 3-2 on the night and 4-2 on aggregate. Still, I got further than I expected. Ended up as league and cup winners though.

3rd season has just begun and after losing the French version of the community shield on penalties to PSG (of course!) I ve won 4 straight in the league, joint top with 12 points with PSG and St Ettiene.

Wow Saint Ettiene?! They struggles past few seasons on mine.

Have you noticed that PSG tends to overstock players in midfielders and attacking areas? On mine they spent hell alot in those areas even Mbappé, hardly starting alot of games! :eek:

Just calculated their spending they have spent just over 1 billion in 5 seasons!

Edited by john1

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Have you noticed that PSG tends to overstock players in midfielders and attacking areas? On mine they spent hell alot in those areas even Mbappé, hardly starting alot of games! :eek:

Just calculated their spending they have spent just over 1 billion in 5 seasons!

Yeah, in my Monaco save, they bought players for redicilous sums and then gave them a few games before adding them to the transfer list.
I bought quite a few players off them that way. 

0984b1091430c0ee78b1ef31b9363d2f.png 

a598d7af1cdc39b31cc8fa3c17eeaa2c.png 
Get in Karama :cool: Frustrating he haven't been capped by France yet, despite being called up ffs.

244416ca84c898a2b21f26e3ed3b46c6.png 

Good to see Karama in XI and Papetti on the subs :cool: 

Edited by john1

Good to see other players picking up awards elsewhere :cool: 

a03ec8488603bf7d63883f0e9cf92d14.png 

2036f766e066a10ca5370124d8bea8a3.png 

299fe9f7bba81ec37de07810b8b7c192.png 

He was kind of last minute buy and seems to be improving well at Ulsan. Not sure if I will sell him on for profit or send him out on loan again to get game time.

514bc377e4924c7d1d8f676a9d47b214.png 

Currently in his 4th season on loan to us from Liverpool. Been sensational at the back.

On 26/06/2021 at 14:10, john1 said:

I havent taken much notice of who they have actually signed but in the last transfer window they signed 3 payers, all for at least £80 million! How I managed to win the league in that 2nd season is beyond me when I had £20 million to spend. Ive currently got £24 million sat in the transfer budget as I cant remember signing anyone of note in the summer transfer window.

4 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

I havent taken much notice of who they have actually signed but in the last transfer window they signed 3 payers, all for at least £80 million! How I managed to win the league in that 2nd season is beyond me when I had £20 million to spend. Ive currently got £24 million sat in the transfer budget as I cant remember signing anyone of note in the summer transfer window.

I do noticed that PSG tends to have a blip during the season :brock:  

Got few games left to finish my season, currently 12 points clear at the top :cool: PSG seems to be hit and miss this season, drawing against teams like Nice or Angers :lol:

Also knocked out PSG in Champions League Quarter Final :cool: 4-1 at home and 1-0 win away \o/

Edited by john1

8f6eecc289bbc553a98c5951a7618c0d.png 

You can see amount of players they have got, especially the players they got on subs... This was their team against me, when I won 1-0 away.

Edited by john1

On 02/07/2021 at 18:53, Geordieboy52 said:

After 3 straight 2nd place finished the board upgrade my Rennes ground to 38k and after another one they build a new 48k stadium

How is your save going?

Decided to fire up my save. My scout found this guy during scouting Eastern Europe.

eec93b9427264800a8e53adf63f1e705.png 

Spent 14.75M on him. Decided to to do this against PSG in Trophee des Champion on his first start :eek: 

a03f5a88e4d777749dd38bc22a904361.png 

:brock:

Here was how PSG lined up

74389d585e053d551f6dc59e0c8f4258.png 

They spent 101M on Pedri, in the summer.

Edited by john1

5c09bce365cd4515dfb35700665ecbc6.png

166bdf52652b97be1eabce2bcc1eec08.png 
I have also signed this guy from Vizela, they do have few good youngsters in the squad, I would recommend checking them out ;) :thup: 

They got this guy in U's19

44736c754db0157bee8b336cb8b80492.png 

He is wanted by Inter, Juventus and Atlético Madrid. He looks pretty good.

On 05/07/2021 at 17:05, john1 said:

How is your save going?

Just hit 2030 and I’m retiring it now. Won back to back titles, just won the CL for the first time and won WCC too. Last season wasn’t even close, 108 points in league and 20 points clear. I might not leave the save just leave Rennes to their future glory without me.

On 08/06/2021 at 15:19, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I just started a new save with St.Etienne and I managed to get 6th place in the first season despite having the right firepower with on loan striker Anthony Modeste and free transfer signing Daniel Sturridge only getting 14 goals between the 2 of them so to rectify this issue in the summer I used all of my transfer budget for season 2 on signing a striker I have never heard of. His name is Boulaye Dia who is a Senegal Internation striker I signed from Reims for £8 million after he was Ligue 1 top scorer with 17 goals. I am hoping he can give me the much needed firepower to get top 4.

Boulaye Dia

@Jogo Bonito Have you ever heard of him. Is he any good in real life?

A very highly-rated player in France, got good reviews last season.

PSG are like a total cheat code on this. We have now played 20 games. After 18 games my record was W 15, D 2, L 1. PSG was W 18, D 0, L 0! My only defeat was against..... yep PSG.

PSG have now had a mini blip though and drew 2 games. I was 7 points behind them and starting to lose hope of ever catching them but with them drawing 2 games in a row and me winning my games im now only 3 points behind and Ive still got them to play at home.

After my successful Champions League run to the semi final last season I was hopeful for this years campaign. I cruised through the group stage and I drew Bayer Leverkeusen in the 2nd round. Not the worst draw and the away leg was first. Unfortunatly I lost Kaio Jorge, Moukoko and Aouar for the game and I found out about my squads lack of depth. I was 3-0 down after half an hour. Instead of just going defensive and performing a bit damage control I went ultra attacking and pulled a goal back before half time. However I totally collapsed in the 2nd half and the final score was....... 8-1! My heaviest ever defeat on this years game. I even felt ashamed when my wife walked past and said "Have you just lost 8-1??" :lol: Still have the home leg to play but the tie is all over. Im already planning to have a clear out for next season, or try and return to England.

6 hours ago, Mackem742 said:

PSG are like a total cheat code on this. We have now played 20 games. After 18 games my record was W 15, D 2, L 1. PSG was W 18, D 0, L 0! My only defeat was against..... yep PSG.

PSG have now had a mini blip though and drew 2 games. I was 7 points behind them and starting to lose hope of ever catching them but with them drawing 2 games in a row and me winning my games im now only 3 points behind and Ive still got them to play at home.

After my successful Champions League run to the semi final last season I was hopeful for this years campaign. I cruised through the group stage and I drew Bayer Leverkeusen in the 2nd round. Not the worst draw and the away leg was first. Unfortunatly I lost Kaio Jorge, Moukoko and Aouar for the game and I found out about my squads lack of depth. I was 3-0 down after half an hour. Instead of just going defensive and performing a bit damage control I went ultra attacking and pulled a goal back before half time. However I totally collapsed in the 2nd half and the final score was....... 8-1! My heaviest ever defeat on this years game. I even felt ashamed when my wife walked past and said "Have you just lost 8-1??" :lol: Still have the home leg to play but the tie is all over. Im already planning to have a clear out for next season, or try and return to England.

I feel SI gives PSG players steroids every season ffs :D  They buy players for stupid amount of money when they don't even need them at all :lol: 

And 8-1 loss?! :eek: 

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya I am thinking of starting a new French league save. I want to try pick a team that I can replicate Brentford/Barnsley's transfer policy. I am looking for a team that doesn't have Developing Youth in their Club DNA. 

After looking at a few teams I have a list of teams I like the look of and I was just curious what others in here thought and give me some pro's and cons if possible.

Clermont 
Dijon 
QRM  - Only cos I really like their kits.
SC Bastia
Le Mans FC 
US Orleans

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it.

23 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Hiya I am thinking of starting a new French league save. I want to try pick a team that I can replicate Brentford/Barnsley's transfer policy. I am looking for a team that doesn't have Developing Youth in their Club DNA. 

After looking at a few teams I have a list of teams I like the look of and I was just curious what others in here thought and give me some pro's and cons if possible.

Clermont 
Dijon 
QRM  - Only cos I really like their kits.
SC Bastia
Le Mans FC 
US Orleans

If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it.

Angers?
Bordeaux?

@Ronaldo Beckham

Clermont would be a good team to be a seller without a Youth System.  The team is decent and a few of the players can be trained into gems (Nael Jaby) . This based on my experience with them in FM20. You can attract decent talent and train them up for sale easily enough especially if you get promoted.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

@Ronaldo Beckham

Clermont would be a good team to be a seller without a Youth System.  The team is decent and a few of the players can be trained into gems (Nael Jaby) . This based on my experience with them in FM20. You can attract decent talent and train them up for sale easily enough especially if you get promoted.

Yeah I remember your great save you had with them on FM2020. The thing that puts me off them is you already managed them and I usually like to try manage teams other people aint posted a career on. 

I will look at Clermont as well as Angers as possible French team options. 

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone interested in starting from ligue 2 level, there is an online game that we re currently playing (Toulouse and Guingamp) -middle of the 1 st season. Unlike the most online games, we have some time for hands-on approach -no rush. PM or just join the game (ligue 2 server, no password).

This is how it looks.
obraz.png.0ed6d0ae9ecacf13d34af9d1cbe47ac3.png
Initial weeks of the season really bad for the TFC, but after a spell of a good form i'm in the playoffs zone and even managed to win vs Bordeaux in the cup. Picked  le TFC as have a soft spot for them, 20 yrs ago attended their opening game of the season vs Bastia and remember their recent history with mixed fortunes ( From National to Champions League).

Some interesting signings so far (sortitoutsi update from the last week -Messi at PSG) , including TImo Kadewere on loan from Lyon, Zeljko Gavric from Ferencvaros and Perr Schuurs from Ajax (loan). Antiste, Adli, Rouault and Diakite -great prospects who already featuring in the first squad.

Edited by Kostropaty

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped I may have time for one last FM21 game, but really wanted a break from EFL after several seasons with Ipswich.

I looked at clubs in various parts of Europe with transfer updates, and even started with Sheriff in Moldova as I was really impressed by them in a couple of live European qualification games on TV recently. However, there were a few issues with them and the financial side made it a bit tough to add any players. Instead I'll just sign a few of their better players when FM22 comes out.

Clubs in Sweden, Greece, Scotland and Italy were all considered (might try a few of them on FM22) and I already have plans for a decent Belgian club career on the new version too. I also didn't want to overload myself managing in Belgium now as I wanted it to feel 'fresh' when the time comes.

So to my own surprise I've ended up in France. I haven't managed there on FM21 and hadn't planned to, but 'c'est la vie' as they say in....France!

I've found a Ligue 1 club that I have never managed before (a feat in itself). In fact they are rarely - if at all - mentioned in these pages. The final decision remaining is whether to just update in here or make my own FMCU thread, but I think it's more likely to be here actually. Pre-season has been completed, so it's time to start the serious business. 

On 07/09/2021 at 23:13, Jogo Bonito said:

After due consideration, I've decided to post in the FMCU pages as I can keep track of my progress easier in there.

Please feel free to view and/or contribute if interested. Cheers.

I look forward to your journey with Montipeller. Have they still got that 40 year old player at the club?
It will be nice to see if you can help them win the French league and see you sign loads of African unknown players.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I look forward to your journey with Montipeller. Have they still got that 40 year old player at the club?
It will be nice to see if you can help them win the French league and see you sign loads of African unknown players.

Thanks. No that player has just left, I think he was about 42.

I'm trying to do different things to my previous Lorient save, so my initial thought is to try (may fail) not to sign players directly from Africa.

• 4 weeks later...

Toulouse FC, November 2020

For what will probably be my last save in FM21, I decided to try my hand in la belle France, a country I don't have a lot of experience in. I did a short save with FC Lens last year and enjoyed it, winning promotion to L1 at the first time of asking. This time around I decided to take on a similar challenge with Toulouse. Another promotion is expected, but the pressure is on as the board demands nothing but the L2 title.

Transfer business

At first sight, the squad should be good enough but there are a couple of holes that need filling, but as is usually the case in these straitened times, there is no money. The club had done a considerable amount of business before I arrived, raising more than £12m in outgoings and investing just £2m for replacements (the remainder presumably going to pay off debt). Among the outbound players were some well-known names, perhaps the biggest being Ibrahim Sangare, who joined PSV for £8.25m; diminutive striker Corentin Jean, whose loan to FC Lens was made permanent; and former FM wonderkid Yaya Sanogo who joined Huddersfield on a free.

In return, the club had picked up a number of free signings, including capable GK Isak Pettersson from Norkoping, and attacking LB Deiver Machado from Gent. The biggest fee paid was £1.1m to MK Dons for striker Rhys Healey. The major hole in the squad was at LB where Machado was really the only choice, but I wasn't happy with the options in wide attacking roles. AMR Firmin Mubele was already transfer listed, so an offer of £145k from Ajaccio was quickly accepted, and I moved on AML Wesley Said, who joined Amiens for £600k.

Those deals pretty much made up my mind to play a narrow wingerless system, so I set up my preferred 4312 (from an earlier Ipswich save), which created a need for a couple of central midfielders, particularly at AMC. My first signing was Algerian playmaker Victor Lekhal, who joined from Le Havre for £300k (possibly rising to £500k); while at AMC I brought in Brentford's Emiliano Marcondes on a season-long loan. Since I couldn't find a likely candidate for the LB spot, I promoted youngster Moussa Diara who looked like a capable backup.

Early form

We started the season with a bang, and just kept on going...

image.png.81a93640129aec813794697a00156548.png

Ten games, played, ten games without defeat and just the two away draws - couldn't have been much better. The system uses a targetman/poacher strikeforce and Koulouris (TM) and Healey (P) have combined well, with Bayo coming in as backup to either role. Antiste and Marcondes rotate at AMC, and are supported with twin mezallas, typically two of Spierings, Dejaegere and van den Boomen. My first-choice 11 looks like this (except Spierings would normally replace Lekhal):

image.png.0ddb9ac91dcab8d725c0625e57e6be32.png

Probably no surprise after that start that we sit comfortably at the top of L2:

image.png.10301c44a2657ca5dbc1250836b5cb53.png

Healey leads the scoring charts with 6 goals from 10 starts, but Koulouris has 5 goals and 3 assists. Dejaegere and Spierings have 7 goal contributions each, the former with one more goal, the latter with one more assist. We have the best attacking and defensive records in the league, as well as the best passing percentage. So far, so good!

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Promotion and the title is yours 'tou louse' my friend :cool: 

:lol: Having seen the new Bond movie last week, I did consider calling it No Time to Lose. We're now unbeaten in 15, but No Games to Lose might be tempting fate.

Toulouse FC, February 2022

After winning all 5 league games in October, I was hoping we could maintain that form and open up a bit of a lead at the top of the division. In the event, we couldn't keep up the winning form although we did extend our unbeaten run:

image.png.8665e4f062167103e2a2e783ad3fcbdf.png

Just to mix things up a little, we won our away game and succumbed to draws at home. Against Clermont we were lucky to grab a point as it took a late, late equaliser from Spierings in added time. December proceeded in similar but reversed fashion as we struggled to away draws while looking more convincing at home. The 6-0 thrashing of lowly Agde in the cup was a morale booster.

A two-week break over Christmas and New Year was needed as fixtures came thick and fast and I expected to suffer but, with the exception of the cup defeat on penalties to Montpellier, we kept up our strong league form:

image.png.45e61f346de20c110010ab8cb7e2da4c.png

Having dropped quite a few points in November and early December, our lead at the top was cut to goal difference as Havre FC pushed us hard. But with 4 wins from 5 league games in January while Havre slipped to defeat in a couple of their own matches, we have re-established a 6pt lead:

image.png.78e1dd9739db790b2700827df01089a4.png

Healey continues to lead both the club and league scoring charts, while van den Boonen and Dejaegere have 7 assists each (in the league).

The transfer window threw up some problems - RB Kelvin Amian, one of our best prospects, had his head turned by Schalke and eventually left for £2.7m (rising to £3.5m). First choice LB Machado took the hump over that deal and I promised Amian would be replaced, a promise I thought I'd met with the signing of Lorenzo Dickman from SPAL for £2.5m. Unfortunately, it transpires that Machado considered Amian a CB and is now pushing for a new signing there. With 3 days of the transfer window to go, finding a suitable candidate has been difficult but I have a deal agreed with Chilean Guillermo Maripan, who wants out of Monaco. Unfortunately, he's also wanted by a couple of Portuguese L1 clubs and I'm not confident he'll join us, doubtless causing additional grumpiness from Machado. You'd think 23 games unbeaten might earn you a little trust and respect... :seagull:

Edited by warlock

2 hours ago, warlock said:

I expected to suffer but, with the exception of the cup defeat on penalties to Montpellier, we kept up our strong league form

I was going to say well done, but in fact I should say very well done after seeing this!

Looking very strong and I have no doubt you can hold off Le Havre. They're a really good outfit usually, but your squad has the edge.

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Looking very strong and I have no doubt you can hold off Le Havre

Cheers :thup: Apart from the constant fear of one of "those" FM months, the only real concern would be a couple of serious injuries. It's quite a small squad with thin cover for a few positions. Losing Healey for a month would make life very difficult, as would a similar injury to either of van den Boonen or Dejaegere who make up our creative engine in midfield. So I'm rotating and generally trying to keep workloads down as much as possible. Thankfully we're now back to one game a week, which helps :onmehead:

Toulouse FC, March 2021

It turns out there was (a) time to lose - Saturday, February 20th in fact. And to make matters worse, we lost to rivals Le Havre. And we lost at home. After going 25 games unbeaten in the league, it was a reminder that nothing lasts forever:

image.png.8eaeaf58c9fff52f7c642caa446862f2.png

It wasn't a bad performance - possession was split 50:50, they had 5 shots on goal, we had 17, but the result came down to one thing: they had 2 shots on target and scored while of our 17 shots, only 3 were on target and we didn't score. No need to resort to conspiracy theories, or a broken match engine, or any other nonsense... the simple fact is that our attacking unit had a really, really bad day:

image.png.bed2e6db3dd67c429567218247e734b0.png

More important is what happened next: we put things right and won the next game away at Guingamp, and won it in style. No tactical changes required - why change a tactic that had worked so well for so long? And our season is still on track:

image.png.66138607d83b0baff16a24092b2fad9a.png

With 9 games to go we have a 10pt lead and the title is ours to lose. Onwards and upwards!

Very good. It's a clear indicator that despite losing at home to your nearest rivals, you still have a significant 10 point gap to them.

I expected Healey to score, he's been a really good player in FM 'at his level' for years. But that's almost a 1:1 goals to games ratio, so very impressive.

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

that's almost a 1:1 goals to games ratio, so very impressive

He's been very good - even in games where he hasn't scored he's made a fair few assists. Only in a couple of games, like the Le Havre match, has he had an all-round poor performance. Be interesting to see how he gets on in L1 (counting chickens :eek:)