No way should this be happening

I know a lot of you won't care and the others will just give their usual excuses why the game is not scripted or is fine. Well the game is not fine, it's either really poor engine or it really is completely scripted. I just have to get this off my chest as I am really annoyed by it. I played for couple of seasons only and I've had this happen multiple times in important games every season. But this time in CL final I just couldn't handle it... Summary: I am dominating the game but only manage to score one then after harmless situation my well composed and best CB in the world, VVD, smashes the ball onto his own post, it deflects to Gomez who's for some reason running towards it and it ends up own goal. It was proper FM own goal, only my players behaved like Sunday league footballers and not best in the world. In extra time, as usual my highly rated penalty kick taker misses a penalty. After I make my last substitution De Jong gets injured and have to play last few minutes with 10 men. It really feels that game does everything to stop my far superior team from winning. Not about penalties, they happen very often and I always manage to lose them and it's same scenario like here. Opponents weak penalty takers manage to score but my high rated ones just keep missing. Everyone's morale, dressing room atmosphere, managerial support, team talk, literally everything is delightful. If it was isolated case then I'd understand that those things happen but when it just keeps happening then there's no good explanation and I have to call it scripting. This is also a team that in first 17 PL games had 17 wins with around 40 goals scored and 0 conceded. It's just feels so poor that no matter how strong your team is and what you do that you'll still often keep losing to bullshittery...
spacer.png

Ye I know the stance of moderators even tho I am here for the first time. Didn't even think it was worth mentioning the amount of "these games" These are 2 in a row but with the amount of games this happens like every other game which is actually insane to claim it's how it should be. There is obviously a script that doesn't allow you to score despite creating great chances. So I have players like Salah, Mane, Mbappe, Haalaand, Firmino etc, constantly missing multiple sitters in games. Ofc opponents goalkeepers always highly rated. If it's not scripts the game is just beyond broken, it allows you to create **** ton of chances but then to make up for it it implements a system where it makes sure you don't use them even if all logic says that those chances should be finished.1234.png.fb98a486e8bd4144beaed16c6518d325.png
123.jpg.6e6161cadb7e9f2d787e7cb8d14da91d.jpg

36 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

There is obviously a script that doesn't allow you to score despite creating great chances. So I have players like Salah, Mane, Mbappe, Haalaand, Firmino etc, constantly missing multiple sitters in games. Ofc opponents goalkeepers always highly rated. If it's not scripts the game is just beyond broken, it allows you to create **** ton of chances but then to make up for it it implements a system where it makes sure you don't use them even if all logic says that those chances should be finished.

You haven't shown very much, tbf. You showed that you have more shots than the opposition in those games. Provide context to these? What's the xG, for instance, as that will give an overview of the quality of the shots you've had.

--

By the way, the ME does not (and can not) distinguish between human and AI. Just thought that might help.

It's FM 2020 don't think there is xG thingy. I am not in a court here, I just posted the most recent happenings since it's not worth going through all the "evidence" and compile it here because I know that few will care and even fewer engage. There's no much context, I play quick football, fast balls forwards to fast players. There's at least 5-6 one on ones in those chances, and it's players that are highly rated in those that keep missing them. I know those things happen but my problem is how consistently it happens. So it's not scripted against human it's just generally messed up engine 

Just now, Scarecroww said:

It's FM 2020 don't think there is xG thingy. I am not in a court here, I just posted the most recent happenings since it's not worth going through all the "evidence" and compile it here because I know that few will care and even fewer engage. There's no much context, I play quick football, fast balls forwards to fast players. There's at least 5-6 one on ones in those chances, and it's players that are highly rated in those that keep missing them. I know those things happen but my problem is how consistently it happens. So it's not scripted against human it's just generally messed up engine 

Okay, even if you don't have xG, you still have CCCs and HCs to look for to give you a quick overview. You can manually analyse chances too and there are things to look for - does the chance fall onto his favoured foot? If not, how good is he with the other foot? Is it a tight angle or are there defenders close by that could affect his composure and/or leading him to snatch at the chance? Is it a chance on the turn or at full speed and if so, what's his Balance attribute in combination with the usual suspects, Composure and Finishing? Is it a shot or a headed chance as headed chances have a much lower conversion % when comparing the two from the same position the shot was taken from.

Yeah, really looks like you create a lot of low quality chances. You can see that from the raw number of shots and the fact of relatively low possession. Players properbly most likely rush forward and shoot from anywhere. Or counter attacks from deeper areas against relatively defensive team which doesn’t work either.

eventhough im quite sure that players like mbappe don’t really have a Problem with that, there Is a hidden stat about how players perform in big matches. You can see that from scout report. 

Also I noticed that way better teams kinda underestimate the other team from time to time and simply don’t play that Good. 

I know my football and I know which things will and should affect how good player does in a chance. Yes there is a lot of low quality chances but there is a great amount of SITTERS as I said. I just posted photos as to give some light to what is happening but the reason why I even came here to vent out is because I watched with my own eyes during matches some of the worlds best forwards miss sitter after sitter. And you could make the case that the match video is not really accurate but it's not that bad. Take a look at goals scored and conceded in first 4 league seasons. The chances are good, the players score. But constantly bottle it in cups and random league games. Take a look at that defence and then go back to original post and see what keeps happening to throw me out of cups. Literally my whole squad have Consistent performer and Relishes in big matches attributes. It literally just looks like game has script that blocks total domination.
Edit: ye I messed up one SS, actual SS of the league is really close to the last one
League.png.93117893a29aa539740ae04b0d9aaf67.png

Edited by Scarecroww

38 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

I know my football and I know which things will and should affect how good player does in a chance. Yes there is a lot of low quality chances but there is a great amount of SITTERS as I said. I just posted photos as to give some light to what is happening but the reason why I even came here to vent out is because I watched with my own eyes during matches some of the worlds best forwards miss sitter after sitter. And you could make the case that the match video is not really accurate but it's not that bad. Take a look at goals scored and conceded in first 4 league seasons. The chances are good, the players score. But constantly bottle it in cups and random league games. Take a look at that defence and then go back to original post and see what keeps happening to throw me out of cups. Literally my whole squad have Consistent performer and Relishes in big matches attributes. It literally just looks like game has script that blocks total domination.
Edit: ye I messed up one SS, actual SS of the league is really close to the last one

I mean your team are performing quite good in the league. All the teams in the screenshot are pretty on par with your team so the results could have gotten either way TBH. Man united and Chelsea are not bad teams you know. Its not like you lost to Luton town or something. A 1-1 draw is a fair result if you ask me taking into account the match stats. And you play a rotated side against Celtic and it obviously backfired. So I do not really get what are you complaining

Edited by zyfon5

Matches aren't always going to go to plan. Your league form shows that for the majority of matches, it does go to plan, so it seems you do have consistent players and a consistent tactic that delivers.

IRL and in FM though, it's not going to be 100% of the time. That's where managers really earn their money - turning around a match like that where you're either a goal down or where you're stuck on 0-0 or 1-1 and need that winning goal.

This thread (for FM20 as well) is about the same thing really. Maybe some of the replies in there helps, maybe not. Myself and herne79 (others too) tried to engage users on this issue they find themselves in. Have a look on the first page, for example where a couple of us analysed a match that the OP uploaded and it was actually a closer match than it showed at first glance. 

In that same thread, I talk about my team and I give stats (so people can compare) of how I did. I never really looked at stats and trusted what I saw in matches instead, but it was very interesting looking at these stats and I learned quite a bit from that exercise. Now, I realise your issue isn't a general issue, so the chance creation stat etc will not mean a massive amount, but it's still worth looking into individual matches and analysing those.

The Celtic match, for instance - they scored first and I assume they were big underdogs. Scoring first, they would have been over the moon with that and would likely have gone quite defensive - maybe not immediately, but certainly after half-time. Did you put a lot of pressure on your team? How did they handle it - you can see this using the Body Language widget. If they started becoming nervous, they are more prone to making rash decisions or snatching at chances. I know you mentioned their Consistency and Important Matches, but ability to handle Pressure is another possible factor.

Another possibility is the tactic or the player selection. You do well in general, but do you still do as well when your 1-0 down against a team who has no need to attack very much anymore? In my FM20 save, I had 5 or 6 (at least) different options to use up front and different combinations of those options as well. One was creative, the other very fast. Another was a dominant force in the air. I had finishers who were more precise and others who just powered through and hit rockets at the keeper. Some were left footed and others right footed. That gave me a plan A, B, C etc etc. If my plan A coming into the match (my tactic was always the same, but how we played depended on who I selected) did not work, I looked for any possible weaknesses that another of my plans could exploit and then put that into action. Managed to turn quite a few matches around that way.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

By the way, the ME does not (and can not) distinguish between human and AI. Just thought that might help.

A bit of a politician's statement, that. No, the ME cannot distinguish which is the human and which is the AI controlled team, but the parameters passed to the ME to define the match parameters can. This was proved by the beta to full release change to rebalance the morale levels fed to the ME.

Now, I'm not going to side with OP and say that's what is causing their issues - in that case I favour cock-up rather than conspiracy. The big game pressure effect is probably overcooked making draws much too likely - certainly seems to be the case that games that can go to penalties do so rather too often.

I do think there are some areas where probabilities have been biased to create narrative - particularly cup draws (see the preponderance of draws selecting your next league opponent for details)

Edited by rp1966

10 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

A bit of a politician's statement, that. No, the ME cannot distinguish which is the human and which is the AI controlled team, but the parameters passed to the ME to define the match parameters can. This was proved by the beta to full release change to rebalance the morale levels fed to the ME.

Yes, which was a bug and fixed. Even when it was a bug, it had very minor effects. Regardless, the bug has been fixed, so none of this affects the OP in any way and the point was that the ME (and the tools to our disposal) is the same for AI and humans so there's nothing in the ME that would deliberately cause issues for a human manager. I mentioned it so that we can look at other factors and hopefully get to the bottom of the issue here.

2 hours ago, Scarecroww said:

This question might feel like I am being pedantic but I'm honestly not, genuinely interested.

You've lost 12 games in 152 domestically. As you said, your players score goals.  The three games you've posted screenshots and claimed the match engine is against you, you've drawn after 90 minutes - you haven't even lost.

I mean you are going to draw/lose some games where players have an off day. That is reflective of real life. If anything, losing just 12 games domestically is the issue here.

No doubt I am one of the "usual suspects" and although this might come across as inflammatory, I am really attempting to get an accurate gauge of your expectations - you appreciate that you're not going to win EVERY game, right....?

12 hours ago, Scarecroww said:

I know a lot of you won't care and the others will just give their usual excuses why the game is not scripted or is fine. Well the game is not fine, it's either really poor engine or it really is completely scripted. I just have to get this off my chest as I am really annoyed by it. I played for couple of seasons only and I've had this happen multiple times in important games every season. But this time in CL final I just couldn't handle it... Summary: I am dominating the game but only manage to score one then after harmless situation my well composed and best CB in the world, VVD, smashes the ball onto his own post, it deflects to Gomez who's for some reason running towards it and it ends up own goal. It was proper FM own goal, only my players behaved like Sunday league footballers and not best in the world. In extra time, as usual my highly rated penalty kick taker misses a penalty. After I make my last substitution De Jong gets injured and have to play last few minutes with 10 men. It really feels that game does everything to stop my far superior team from winning. Not about penalties, they happen very often and I always manage to lose them and it's same scenario like here. Opponents weak penalty takers manage to score but my high rated ones just keep missing. Everyone's morale, dressing room atmosphere, managerial support, team talk, literally everything is delightful. If it was isolated case then I'd understand that those things happen but when it just keeps happening then there's no good explanation and I have to call it scripting. This is also a team that in first 17 PL games had 17 wins with around 40 goals scored and 0 conceded. It's just feels so poor that no matter how strong your team is and what you do that you'll still often keep losing to bullshittery...
spacer.png

Sounds like the champions league final 2012. Can´t see an issue here.

Edited by Carambau

Btw, you wouldn't need to script a thing to simulate point drops.

All you'd need is an RNG (which the game has, and which you can't fully beat and shouldn't). Additionally, even the biggest chances in a match within that RNG should have a significant chance of being misses. A penalty after all is a ~76% chance of being a goal, average, and chances higher than 50% are rare. 

Therefore, point drops despite a de facto domination of a match should be happening. In football they are legion.

Think the the dudes on Fallout / Baldur's Gate 3 wondering how they could have missed a couple times in a row despite a chance of 95%+ to hit.

That's RNG; baby.

Be glad that the game has never simulated anything like this. ;) 

Borussia Dortmund's crisis isn't a crisis at all, and stats prove they will rebound (espn.com)

Edited by Svenc

13 hours ago, Scarecroww said:

spacer.png

To be blunt, because you aren't used to losing or even drawing, when it does happen you can't accept it. This leads you to make unfounded and ridiculous claims regarding scripting, the match engine and anything else that pops into your head to make you feel better about not winning. Stop acting like a petulant child, calm down, assess your tactics and move on.

Edited by joemez1193

Being unlucky is rarely if ever going to cost you a League title with a team like Liverpool, it would take lots of unlucky things to go against you. On pretty much most occasions the best team actually wins the league, Cup games on the other hand, you may just be having one of those games, where everything is going against you, every shot the opposition takes hits the back of the net, you make your subs and you get an injury. I have pretty much seen it all and been frustrated beyond belief. But believe me you will win more than you lose in these scenarios, you always only remember the bad times more, don't let it get to you and get back to another Champions League final and win it.

11 minutes ago, av3ry said:

17 games, 17 wins and 0 conceded is way more unrealistic than letting in a goal in the Champions League final.

But it's a known 100% fact that the only unrealistic things in FM are the things that are against you.  It's science.

You've lost 12 games in 152 matches if I've read right. I'd say you're doing just fine, and unfounded charges about scripting seem quite unreasonable the face of such results.

I'd argue the bigger problem here is that you're probably not losing or drawing enough. 17 games and no goals conceded?

On the face of it, think it's hard to anyone to reasonably see what the issue is here.

IRL Liverpool have recently lost to Southampton and drawn to Newcastle and despite having Salah, Mane and Firmino up front haven't scored in 3 league games now! In those games Liverpool have had more shots and possession but still not won the game. No one would have seen that coming after last season. These things happen. Football is unpredictable and that's what makes it so great. 

Imo your expectations are far too high and you need to accept you can't win them all. 

Also on the flip side and to show that there is no bias from the ME. This happened on my save. I was playing AFC Wimbledon away and was drawing 0-0 In the 92nd minute and then their GK makes this mistake :lol: got me the 1-0 win. 

What made it even more sweeter was that I signed Pigott from Wimbledon :lock:

13 minutes ago, freddieos said:

I've noticed as well that keepers often struggle with long throws on 21 @B3nnet7. I'd even say I score an unrealistic amount from long throws atm. 

Tbh I rarely score from them, I think 2/3 times all season, although I'm League one so my best long throw rating is 12 and I dont have too many players with good aerial attributes. I'm guessing it will become easier for me too the higher the leagues I go and the better the players I get 

To start with, since I can't really go through and reply to everything individually I just wanna say that I read everything above, so don't think I came just to complain and then don't even read what others have to say. Again, don't get too stuck in about those 2nd two screenshots, those were just games I played when I checked the forum. I am not talking just about stats, it was just the simpliest thing I could show. In terms of chances for example in that United game, Haalaand had 1v1 on his stronger foot with good amount of time, Salah missed an empty net and Ox missed I'd say it was 1v1 from 5 yards out. Those are the crazy ones that I can't believe were missed. But all that aside what all this bounds too is. Series of unlikely events constantly costing me cup games. So yes in League over 38 games that doesn't leave effects. But as I said, I keep loosing to nonsense happening. The CL final before, Mane got sent off in like 30th minute, and If you think it's because of the team instructions, well that was 1st red card in like 3 seasons. I constantly lose on penalties even tho I got much better penalty takers and everyone is happy with perfect morale. As I said team talks are always good and the team reacts greatly. At this point I can't go into any match with confidence as even tho the team is great, it just feels like gambling and just hoping that something stupid doesn't happen again. Yes winning first 17 games of the seasons without conceding a goal is broken in itself and that's the reason more to worry how the game tries to improvise in order to mess with how broken the team is. Also in the 18th game I conceded it was a penalty, it was Brighton's only shot on target for whole game. If it's possible I can provide evidence for anything I say here if you don't believe me. And again, I know these things happen, but seriously how does such a great team consistently **** things up. 

I agree: there is no way a team should lose only 12 matches in 4 seasons. Totally unrealistic. 2, maybe 3 season run of 90+ sure, but 4? City have done it twice, United during Fergie's run only did it 3 times total in all those years.

Also line breaks are your friend... well at least our friend, in trying to read the rants.

39 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

The CL final before, Mane got sent off in like 30th minute

Things like this happen. Such as a team giving away a stupid handball penalty within 45 seconds of kick off in a champions league final.

Or a player slipping on the halfway line which causes a team to concede a goal which goes on to cost them the title.

Seriously, I'm not sure you can control things to the degree you seem to think you can. You're picking out incidences of individual players missing one on ones across 4 seasons having won the league at a canter each time.

It's clear your tactics are good. The only thing that could possibly stop you winning every competition is the odd individual error. Which is happening sometimes. As it does when really strong teams with good tactics are built in the real world.

16 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

And much more than that in cup matches 

Well sure - statistically Cups are only a handful of matches a season. 12/152 in cup competitions would be even more unrealistic than in the league.

If you are having trouble in the cup, maybe a different/modified tactic is in order. Remember the stick Utd got all those years for not turning their domestic form into continental form, because their style of play didn't transfer.

And of course isolated incidents in cup competitions cost more dearly, because you don't have 37 other matches to make ammends for it. That's how you end up with Wigan in the FA Cup final or Porto vs Monaco in the CL final.

In my FM20 as Brighton save, Liverpool steamrolled the league for 6 straight years, just like you are doing, yet only won a single CL trophy in that time.

Edited by CaptCanuck

We need to stop going around in circles with "these things happen". I know they happen but my problem is how consistently it is happening. That united game could have been and will be a cup game and then I lose on penalties as it's usual routine. I got Chelsea away in league Cup soon, I can already tell what's gonna happen

10 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

We need to stop going around in circles with "these things happen". I know they happen but my problem is how consistently it is happening. That united game could have been and will be a cup game and then I lose on penalties as it's usual routine. I got Chelsea away in league Cup soon, I can already tell what's gonna happen

I've posted much more than 'these things happen'. Have you read it and looked at possible causes that could contribute to your problems? It's chance to move the discussion forward, but we do need your input on these things. :thup:

20 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

Most of your issue seems to be with cup matches which by their nature tend to be one off "winner takes all" type of affairs rather than a whole series of matches over an entire season.  Losing on penalties a lot is a bit of a red herring because you shouldn't often let things get to a "usual routine" of pens in the first place.

If the issue you are having is consistent for a certain type of match, other than scripting is there anything else that occurs to you which may be within your control to rectify?

12 hours ago, Scarecroww said:

I play quick football, fast balls forwards to fast players.

That's your starting point :thup:.

@Scarecroww out of interest - assuming you treat the community shield and the super cup like the glorified friendly games that they are, how many of the 12 cup competitions you were involved in did you win during the four seasons you won the league?

1 hour ago, Scarecroww said:

Practicing penalties in the lead up to important cup matches is one way to mitigate crap penalty taking.

I've had some wonky penalty results over the seasons, but actually did practice them before a tough QF (IIRC) and went 5/5. How much was down to that and just the RNG coming up all positives for me? IDK

This is a perfect example why we won't ever get a realistic, hard as real life game on FM series.

In four years only ten games had been lost, to already one of the strongest squad in the world, best two strikers alive have been added and there are still complaints saying that game is scripted against user....

Just go to in-game editor, make all your players perfect 20 and enjoy it than...

21 minutes ago, Ups81 said:

This is a perfect example why we won't ever get a realistic, hard as real life game on FM series.

In four years only ten games had been lost, to already one of the strongest squad in the world, best two strikers alive have been added and there are still complaints saying that game is scripted against user....

Hahah, true. :D Probably a legacy expectation, I'm afraid. In the glory days of CM, you presumably could totally smash the game 38-0-0. In parts because of weaker AI managers making worse decisions, because of match engine related stuff, player motivation/morale/consistency stuff and some more. Find the magic sauce formula, and you were set for eternity.

It's also a "football simulation" vs "game" expectation thing. Games can be "beaten" for life -- a sports as random as football evidently not. Does FM aim to to be the first or the latter, and what does that mean for players?

Edited by Svenc

@HUNT3R I did read and I think I responded to that multiple times. The latest post was a reply to others.

Look I don't want to waste you time in looking to explain what's happening. I have my belief why it's happening and it's based on big personal experience so unless I experience something different, you won't change my mind. For me the game is scripted in a sense that it pushes some events to create more "interesting" happenings and narratives even if it completely defies logic and just creates even more unlikely and unrealistic scenarios.

As I said, team talks, personal talks, shouts from the sideline, everything that is in my power goes greatly. The players are constantly "Fired up" and "Motivated". It's not about tactics and teams going defensive or whatever, I still get great chances and those chances fall to all the right players, putting more offensive and creative midfielders and switching up forwards with other world class ones also doesn't do anything. In those games that happen way too often, all my players just cocking up great chances for reason that is beyond my power. And I am certain it's just football manager making sure certain scenarios don't happen. 

@junkhead I won 3 Carabao cups, 1 FA cup and 2 Champions leagues. Funnily enough I played all 4 CL finals, ofc in 1 off game I am used to my chances being 50/50. 

6 hours ago, Scarecroww said:

I got Chelsea away in league Cup soon, I can already tell what's gonna happen

Take a guess of the final score

Cup.png

4 minutes ago, Scarecroww said:

@HUNT3R I did read and I think I responded to that multiple times. The latest post was a reply to others.

Look I don't want to waste you time in looking to explain what's happening. I have my belief why it's happening and it's based on big personal experience so unless I experience something different, you won't change my mind. For me the game is scripted in a sense that it pushes some events to create more "interesting" happenings and narratives even if it completely defies logic and just creates even more unlikely and unrealistic scenarios.

As I said, team talks, personal talks, shouts from the sideline, everything that is in my power goes greatly. The players are constantly "Fired up" and "Motivated". It's not about tactics and teams going defensive or whatever, I still get great chances and those chances fall to all the right players, putting more offensive and creative midfielders and switching up forwards with other world class ones also doesn't do anything. In those games that happen way too often, all my players just cocking up great chances for reason that is beyond my power. And I am certain it's just football manager making sure certain scenarios don't happen. 

@junkhead I won 3 Carabao cups, 1 FA cup and 2 Champions leagues. Funnily enough I played all 4 CL finals, ofc in 1 off game I am used to my chances being 50/50. 

Take a guess of the final score

Cup.png

2-1 Chelsea. Clear possession and passing advantage, with a much higher rating. They controlled the play and scored two well worked goals.

7 hours ago, freddieos said:

you need to start playing with the Smarter AI Managers mod @Scarecroww so that you get a bit more challenged. Can't be fun to blitz the league every year like that.

Can't expect much difficulty managing as Liverpool and still have haaland and tonali in your team

Exact score, it's really predictable. Yeah useless possession, as I said I play quick football and create a lot of chances, don't keep the ball for long. Don't play possession football so I have less possession in almost every match even vs weak opponents. The goals they scored was a set piece and poor sliding tackles from my team pushing the balls right where they want it. They were under the fire the whole game, only if my players could score. 

And the most recent happenings vs Wolves, after this they had one more shot on goal from a cross where they had 1 player in middle of my 5. It ended 2-1 for them. 
Don't forger Mbappe and De Jong. But there is still a challenge and it's the most difficult one, it's FM making sure to throw ******** like this at me literally constantly. Might be implementation in order for their own AIs not to snowball out of control with dominance. It's just crazy how often this **** happens to me
FMed once again, oh look