Thoughts on my tactic?

1 hour ago, ReadingFan82 said:

just wanted to get a second opinion on my tactic?

Struggling to understand what you are trying to achieve with so many attack duties, with even four of them being played next to one another.

The left flank looks like asking for trouble, given the combination of an attacking mezzala and attack-minded fullback role (no cover and no proper defensive help for the LB). 

Basically, in this (type of) formation you don't need an attack duty in central midfield anyway (regardless of the role). 

9 hours ago, ReadingFan82 said:

Hi all,

just wanted to get a second opinion on my tactic? Been using it for a few games and have been doing okay but just wanted to see what a few other people thought about it and if you saw any glaring problems with it.

Screenshot (107).png

Your opposition will definitely have a feast on the left flank. MEZA and WBS will go forward but who is going to cover them without opening up space in the middle?

Overlap Right may increase defensive risk on the right flank. He will be involved in attacks anyway.

Fast tempo+Positive+plenty of attack duties(means very quick plays without any patience) duties may not work against deep and narrow sides as there will be near to no space to exploit. 

Agree with everything that's been said. On a sidenote, there might also be an issue with squad building and dynamics. Five years in, you've literally replaced your entire squad except for DCL which is asking for trouble in terms of cohesion if you don't set up your training schedules correctly.

But then again, I sometimes feel the game is a little too lenient on people going overboard with signings, so you might just get away with it. And it certainly looks like you've been doing okay.

But as others have said, your tactic needs an overhaul, I'm afraid. What did your original tactic look like before you've introduced the new one?

Edited by Hartplatz

It doesn't need an overhaul, at all. Just a few minor changes. 

Only things I would tweak would be bumping the Mezzala and Complete Forward down to support duties and removing Overlap Right. 

With the AM(A) bursting into the box, the MEZ(A) is kinda redundant. On support, he can work together with the WB(S) to bring the ball up and the support the AF and AM(A). The CF(S) would drop and roam, dragging defenders away to make room for the AM(A), and he can link-up with the WB(A). The WB(A) naturally overlaps so you don't need the Overlap instruction on unless you really want your team looking for that pass every time.

With a set-up like this, you have to be very aware of your players' attributes and PPMs. The Mezzala in this kind of set-up must have high Work Rate and decent Bravery and Tackling because he has to get back into position and help defend his flank. The DLP(S) on the other side has to be a strong defender and shouldn't have any traits that encourage him to go forward. In this case, Van De Beek is probably not the best choice because he gets into the opposition area. Even with the Holds Position PI the DLP(S) naturally has, he's going to pop up in the box every now and then, abandoning his defensive duties. 

If those two players aren't good defenders, then you may have trouble playing against the good teams.

Actually you're right @Jaye, in terms of roles and duties, it really is just a few tweaks. But I would also turn one or possibly even both BPDs to standard CDs, otherwise they're going to lump the ball forward too much, particularly with higher tempo and counter. Plus, with the current ME, I would switch the keeper to SK-De to avoid an overkill of long kicks (he's still going to do it, but less), thus increasing the chance that you're instructions are actually followed.

Also, I'd suggest lowering the LoE to standard to increase compactness (higher LoD would also be an option).

I also think that counter should be used sparingly if coupled with higher tempo and counter-press, so perhaps just use it as an occasional tweak.

Edited by Hartplatz