Tweaking tactics based on players, am I doing it right?

I am usually playing in this 4231 formation with Arsenal:

DLFat

IFat            AMsu           IWsu

DLPsu   CMde

WBsu   CDde  CDde  WBsu

SKsu

Instructions are limited as I don't want to overcomplicate things: (Usually positive mentality but will tweak to balanced in big games)

Play out of defence

Shorter Passing

Be more Expressive

Counter-press

Higher Defensive Line

Higher Line of Engagement

Use offside trap

So from previous posts on this forum I know that the system I am using rn is a decent setup of roles and duties and it does work nicely. However, it can be argued that the system is only suitable because I have the right players for the roles.

For example if I was using this tactic for Chelsea instead of Arsenal, I might not use a DLF up top as the greatest strength of Werner is not his passing ability, or to a lesser extent compared to Lacazette. Instead Werner might have to be used as a PFat to suit his strengths. Because of this, the roles of the 3 behind the striker will have to be changed as well, as a IFat does not work well with PFat. So I was thinking:

PFat

IFsu           AMsu       IWat/Wat

DLPsu   CMde

WBsu   CDde  CDde  WBsu

SKsu

By doing this, more space is created for the PFat to operate as the IFsu doesn't come that forward and the IWat or Wat stays wider. In my opinion, this is a better method than shoehorning a player into a role that does not play to his strengths.

Going back to my Arsenal system, if for example I wanted Partey to play a more mobile role in the midfield (he is playing as the CMde currently), maybe I could go for a setup like this:

DLFat

IFat         AMsu     IWsu/Wsu

DLPde   CMsu

WBsu  CDde  CDde  FBsu

SKsu

Here, the right winger can be converted into a Wsu to stay wide and allow the CMsu space to advance into the right half space occasionally. The full back role is dropped back to FBsu to allow for more defensive solidity. Of course traits may affect the movement of the CMsu so they may have to be removed to retain some solidity.

Now these are just my ideas and they could be flawed in many areas, just my thoughts about adapting a base tactic to the strengths of different teams you manage. What do you guys think?

Edited by KCHDD

The first 2 setups look fine and absolutely make sense in terms of balance :thup: 

The 3rd one could prove a bit problematic regarding the AMC's duty (not role) in relation to the CM on support behind him. Plus, I would avoid FB on support duty behind an IW or IF. So if you want to use FBsu, I would recommend standard winger in front of him. 

That's all I can say at the moment.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The 3rd one could prove a bit problematic regarding the AMC's duty (not role) in relation to the CM on support behind him. Plus, I would avoid FB on support duty behind an IW or IF. So if you want to use FBsu, I would recommend standard winger in front of him. 

I was also thinking of using a DLFsu and AMat combination in the third setup and in general as well, so that might be better. Does a WBde make more sense than FBsu in the third setup? If I were to play an IW due to personnel reasons, how could I make the formation still work?

5 hours ago, KCHDD said:

Because of this, the roles of the 3 behind the striker will have to be changed as well, as a IFat does not work well with PFat.

Works fine in my setup. Maybe they don't bang two goals each in every game, or they don't get 7.5 ratings constantly but I wouldn't say it doesn't work if it gets me average and good results individually and for the team. What I often tweak is adding Roaming to the PF/a if I see him struggle, especially vs 3 CB's.

2 hours ago, KCHDD said:

Does a WBde make more sense than FBsu in the third setup?

I personally would not use either behind an inside-oriented role (such as IW, IF or RMD), but you can try them both and see which works better for you. 

2 hours ago, KCHDD said:

If I were to play an IW due to personnel reasons, how could I make the formation still work?

What exactly do you mean by "personnel reasons"? 

Btw, I am not going to claim that it cannot work with a FB on support (or WB on defend), just think it's not an optimal partnership if you want consistently smooth attacking play. 

33 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

What exactly do you mean by "personnel reasons"? 

Like if my team has predominantly left footed right wingers hence encouraging me to play them as IW but at the same time I want to have a level of mobility in midfield in CMsu.

3 hours ago, right_winger said:

Works fine in my setup. Maybe they don't bang two goals each in every game, or they don't get 7.5 ratings constantly but I wouldn't say it doesn't work if it gets me average and good results individually and for the team. What I often tweak is adding Roaming to the PF/a if I see him struggle, especially vs 3 CB's.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely try this out. Do you add roaming to the PFat only or are there any other positions which would benefit from this PI?

1 minute ago, KCHDD said:

Like if my team has predominantly left footed right wingers hence encouraging me to play them as IW

You can comfortably play such player as a regular winger. What's more, that can make him behave like a sort of hybrid between a winger (due to the role) and IW/IF (due to his preferred foot or traits). Which is actually a good thing IMHO (less predictable attacking patterns). 

5 minutes ago, KCHDD said:

but at the same time I want to have a level of mobility in midfield in CMsu

If you want more mobility from one of the CMs, then roles like carrilero or BWM on support are better options IMHO for a system like 4231. Of course, that's just my personal preference, which anyone (including you) is absolutely free to disagree and ignore :thup:

9 hours ago, KCHDD said:

Thanks for the advice, will definitely try this out. Do you add roaming to the PFat only or are there any other positions which would benefit from this PI?

Only tried for the AM a few times and for that the effects would not be as easy to spot, but to be fair I can't recall any significant improvement in his rating. Probably went from 6.5 to 6.8 sometimes but can't remember for sure. While with the PF/a (or AF/a that I also used when playing more on counter) quite a few times it was like from 6.3-6.5 to 7+ after a few chances and some goals scored. Not a rule though, sometimes the striker will have his day off and you can't do much.

Edited by right_winger