[DISCUSSION] Develop 'Time Wasting' into Game Management

Stokedowl1992

I had a quick search and couldn't see this anywhere else but if I'm wrong then I'll join that discussion elsewhere.

I've thought for a while that the the 'Time wasting' part of the tactics could be developed into something akin to game management. This element could be developed into a nuance for both offensive and defensive situations. The slider could range from: Desperation < Rush < Normal > Slow Game > Waste time.

I appreciate to a degree you can do this with the tactics, I think a game management feature would to a degree, make automatic adjustments the tactic. For instance, if you have five minutes left in a cup game to get an equaliser, turning to Desperation may result in:

• Set pieces - 10 of 11 players going into the box for corners (leaving the shortest player to cover; GKs taking long free kicks into the box; long throw in's with your GK on the half-way line and everyone else in/or around the box
  • Style - Longer balls, players running at defenders, playing long cross-field balls in the hope of finding a marauding wing-back-cum-winger; the pace being much quicker
  • Positions - Certain players would have their default position moved forward one (Eg. RB into WB slot), Wingers become Forward Wingers. The spine of the team would remain a constant as they usually do, albeit that defensive line would just be pushed as far as it could go

In essence, switching on Desperation would result in the team not particularly adhering to the style or tactics, and focus on getting the ball and players forward. Most usefully I believe, it would override set pieces in a way the game doesn't currently unless you remember to manually do so by removing multiple routines and replace them with ones where everyone is forward. (Or you could have a separate tactical tab for the game management modes where you can arrange your set pieces in the extreme of either game management mode).

At the other end, set pieces especially, wouldn't be as normal if you're on Waste Time. The team would play short corners with their best players at keeping the ball, maybe just one or two players going forward. It would perhaps see players getting booked for time wasting as well because everything is slowed down.

I think the biggest change this would impact would be set pieces because the feature would allow an override of current set piece tactics to either kill the game of or desperately go for a win. There are numerous occasions where I've set my team to very defensive, frequently time-wasting and the rest, but I've forgotten to remove the set piece routines and then I've been counter-attacked because despite every player being on defend, they all rush forward for the corner. Or I've gone full attack but still see three or four players not getting involved with my GK firmly in his half.

I know that this might fall under me being forgetful or lazy to not change things in full, but I think more could be made of the 'Time Wasting'. Commentary most of the time refers to these things as Game Management, knowing when to push and when to stop the game. It could be added as an attribute for players (or be something impacted by player attributes), those that understand game management and will adhere to it and those individuals who don't. Adding a further nuance.

• 4 weeks later...