Is there no "tactic familiarity" at all?

Hey everyone.

I have a little question. Usually in FM your players progressively learn the tactic you choose and it takes them a little while to get used to it. If suddenly you change everything they struggle, and the game lets you know where you stand in this regard.

It doesn't seem to be the case in FMM 21 but I still would like confirmation of it if possible. Can I really mess with any tactical setting, even change everything and have my players instantly familiar with the new tactic?

Thanks in advance.

• SI Staff

No there is no tactical familiarity at a 'squad' level in FMM at all - players are expected to be competent with most common tactics, there is however a familiarity with a position according to the player (as you'd expect and is shown by their position information, ie. green for natural etc.).

You can train people to become more used to a position using the training settings (ie. train them in a new position and their rank it in will improve over time if they've some aptitude and interest in doing so).

PS - As a word of warning however, there is sometimes a settling in period for a new player at a club and he might not perform at his 'peak' straight away (depends on a hidden mental attribute and some random factors).

15 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

As a word of warning however, there is sometimes a settling in period for a new player at a club and he might not perform at his 'peak' straight away (depends on a hidden mental attribute and some random factors).

Thought so (and it would be sad if it wasn't the case, I like to see them find their marks game after game)

Allright, thanks for the clarification on main topic. No familiarity is less realistic, but it's also nice to be able to toy around with tactics and see the results instantly, and it fits the mobile version.

Since you're here I want to add that I'm very, very happy with the game. Hadn't played since FM 2015, and this FMM 21 will make me buy FM 21.

Cheers!

Regarding this topic, when you buy a player you sometimes get a message saying "adjusting to the team's style of play" or something similar. Does that actually mean anything or is it simply cosmetic, for "immersion"?

edit: also, sometimes after a bad performance we get the message "players confused by unusual formation" in the list of negative things after the game is over. This usually happens if the bad performance coincided with a change in the usual formation. This would suggest the change we did had a negative effect on their performance... Unless it is also just cosmetic...

Edited by Arsy

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Arsy said:

Regarding this topic, when you buy a player you sometimes get a message saying "adjusting to the team's style of play" or something similar. Does that actually mean anything or is it simply cosmetic, for "immersion"?

edit: also, sometimes after a bad performance we get the message "players confused by unusual formation" in the list of negative things after the game is over. This usually happens if the bad performance coincided with a change in the usual formation. This would suggest the change we did had a negative effect on their performance... Unless it is also just cosmetic...

I'm not a huge fan of 'only' cosmetic things in the game, so nearly everything within it has a 'purpose' ...

'Adjusting to the team's style of play' - This is when someone joins the club but isn't firing on all cylinders yet (ie. they're still settling into the club/area). It's a warning/reminder that they might not be performing fully.

'Confused by unusual formation' - This is a warning that the formation you used wasn't a traditional one in the eyes of your assistant - its normally given if you lose a match and he thought that it might have contributed. Its not something I've tested in ages, but it should only appear if you're playing an exotic formation ... say a 2-3-5 or something odd (if this wasn't the case please let me know). This message is purely informative and doesn't actually affect anything within the game in itself.