Progressive Passing Side - Narrower Width?

I am trying to create a side playing possession football who create chances primarily through interplay between forwards and one-twos (give and goes) around the edge of the box to create CCCs rather than crossing etc.

My aim is to create a tactic where the wide defenders add to passing opportunities and keeping possession centrally whilst progressing the ball up the pitch, and rather than spreading play too wide, the AM or DLP should rather look for runs incoming from the IW or IF or pass to the AM who can play one twos with the DLF to get in on goal. 

What seems to be happening is that my build-up play to keep possession is slow which allows the defending team to get bodies back. Is there a way to recreate slow build up in your own half, and then faster pace cutting balls thereafter?

Grateful for any other advice on the tactic generally :) 

2041965207_U.S.SassuoloCalcio_Overview.thumb.png.250a1984363cf524f82ad6fc55f019e2.pngctic where the wide players 

Narrow and slow, meaning the opponent can defend narrow and block up the center of the pitch, then you have nothing. With no width you arent stretching the opponent to create spaces.

WIth those wings I imagine you are being massacred on the counter too

1 hour ago, Sassufan said:

My aim is to create a tactic where the wide defenders add to passing opportunities

You don't have to play them on attack duties, especially not both of them and even more so in a top-heavy system with no DM such as 4231. WB on support duty is attack-minded enough to provide sufficient attacking width including the passing options you are looking for. In fact, if possession football is your intended tactical style, then playing both fullbacks as WBs on support duty is the best option. 

and keeping possession centrally whilst progressing the ball up the pitch, and rather than spreading play too wide, the AM or DLP should rather look for runs incoming from the IW or IF or pass to the AM who can play one twos with the DLF to get in on goal

For this, you can use the Focus play through the middle, coupled with either with narrower width or default width. 

When it comes to your team instructions, the Run at defence is not quite a possession-friendly instruction (although it's not totally anti-possession, either). Anyway, it's probably not needed in your system, so my advice is to simply remove it. 

What seems to be happening is that my build-up play to keep possession is slow which allows the defending team to get bodies back. Is there a way to recreate slow build up in your own half, and then faster pace cutting balls thereafter?

Switch passing to standard instead of shorter. That should be enough, since you use the Play out of defence, which makes the initial build-up more patient by default, whereas standard passing under the positive team mentality should allow for faster pace of attacks once the ball is in the opposition half. 

15 hours ago, wicksy360 said:

Narrow and slow, meaning the opponent can defend narrow and block up the center of the pitch, then you have nothing. With no width you arent stretching the opponent to create spaces.

WIth those wings I imagine you are being massacred on the counter too

I have gone narrow because whenever i play with a wider formation my players seem to be too far from one another to combine passes in the way that I want them too. I understand that the opposition won't be stretched horizonally which is why i want to have faster through balls when countering and when this isn't possible, for the team to get past the low block with one-twos.

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You don't have to play them on attack duties, especially not both of them and even more so in a top-heavy system with no DM such as 4231. WB on support duty is attack-minded enough to provide sufficient attacking width including the passing options you are looking for. In fact, if possession football is your intended tactical style, then playing both fullbacks as WBs on support duty is the best option. 

For this, you can use the Focus play through the middle, coupled with either with narrower width or default width. 

When it comes to your team instructions, the Run at defence is not quite a possession-friendly instruction (although it's not totally anti-possession, either). Anyway, it's probably not needed in your system, so my advice is to simply remove it. 

Switch passing to standard instead of shorter. That should be enough, since you use the Play out of defence, which makes the initial build-up more patient by default, whereas standard passing under the positive team mentality should allow for faster pace of attacks once the ball is in the opposition half. 

Thanks for that.

It seems to be that even with narrow attacking width, there is naturally width from the WBs anyway.

Is there any room for the underlap command to help with through-balls and/or one twos, or will work in to the box work better for scenarios where the other side employs a low block?

There are several threads on the front page with people that are trying to play in a similar way to you, and are also having some trouble scoring. One example would be 

. The fact I'm pointing this out means I'm also one of those people :)

When watching matches of my team, I also noticed that many misplaced passes were seemingly caused by the players being too far apart. As an alternative to going narrow, you could also opt to change from Positive to Balanced and keeping standard width. This means your players will try less over-ambitious passes to teammates in difficult positions. However, since you indicate you're having some issues breaking through packed defenses, lowering the mentality might not necessarily improve things. Still, one thing you could try, and you can just watch to see if you like the style of football it produces.

19 minutes ago, MrGol said:

There are several threads on the front page with people that are trying to play in a similar way to you, and are also having some trouble scoring. One example would be 

. The fact I'm pointing this out means I'm also one of those people :)

When watching matches of my team, I also noticed that many misplaced passes were seemingly caused by the players being too far apart. As an alternative to going narrow, you could also opt to change from Positive to Balanced and keeping standard width. This means your players will try less over-ambitious passes to teammates in difficult positions. However, since you indicate you're having some issues breaking through packed defenses, lowering the mentality might not necessarily improve things. Still, one thing you could try, and you can just watch to see if you like the style of football it produces.

Thanks for that - i will take a look now.

I think it's the speed of passing which unlocks these packed defences that is hard to recreate. I try to stay away from wing play because i find that it leads to the wide players simply being hemmed in and the other IF, Striker and AM just sat in the box waiting for a cross.