A time frame for promises

LincolnCanary

Hello,

A feature I'd like to see in FM22 would be a time frame for promises.

My case in point is that against all odds, my Ipswich side has just achieved promotion by winning the league. In the end of season team meeting, I tell the squad I will be reducing the squad size (I wanted to shift players not good enough for the Premier League). Two of my players take this as a formal promise, including my star midfielder. 

I think no more of it, but before the play off final has even been played they both come to me unhappy I haven't kept my promise. 

Being able to tell my players I'll reduce the squad size before the start of next season, or will give them a contract before the end of next season, or I'll improve the staff by January - I think would be a real help in making promises a more realistic feature.

Thanks for considering.

The wording of one-on-one talks have this time frame (immediately, next transfer window, end of season).

Promises made at the beginning of the campaign expire the day of or after the final game of the season. The tweak here would be to have this date should be the end of off-season transfer window, rather than the immediate end of the season.

If you go to your manager profile/home page and click promises, you can see the remaining time on the promise. I believe that you generally get reminders a month out, in the form of a news item from your staff updating you in the status of promises or player agitating that no progress has been made.

13 hours ago, Harper said:

The wording of one-on-one talks have this time frame (immediately, next transfer window, end of season).

Promises made at the beginning of the campaign expire the day of or after the final game of the season. The tweak here would be to have this date should be the end of off-season transfer window, rather than the immediate end of the season.

If you go to your manager profile/home page and click promises, you can see the remaining time on the promise. I believe that you generally get reminders a month out, in the form of a news item from your staff updating you in the status of promises or player agitating that no progress has been made.

Thanks for the reminders, but my suggestion is to go beyond what is available right now. 

The suggestion is to allow promises to be made with variable time frames, giving you greater flexibility to ensure they can be met. You might want to offer a new contract after the next transfer window, in case a bid is incoming for that player. You might want to wait until the start, or end of next pre-season to reduce squad numbers as most clubs don't conduct their transfer business until later in the window. You might want to say to a youth team player they can go out on loan, not the next window but the window after.

I know a lot of players avoid promises altogether. I think bringing flexibility to them might encourage more widespread usage again. 

• 4 weeks later...