Being FMd almost every game

I know it's part of the game but I started a save and AI teams scoring from almost every highlights. As my team was strong favorites to win the league in my first season I thought it is just that underdog thing when weaker teams converting their few chances. It was frustrating, but it is getting even worse now - not just smaller teams doing this, but every single opponent. I am managing Queen's Park in Scottish League 1 and got a tough draw in the League Cup. 2 Premiership opponents, 1 Championship team and 1 from League 2. Managed to sneak through the group (just), then got Celtic in the next round, beaten 1-0,  and in every single match opponents just scored from all of their highlights. 5 matches, 21 shots, 13 on target, 8 goals (2.81 xG). This is even worse than last season. Tried everything from changing 'keepers, tinkering with defensive line adjustments, changing opponent instructions, etc. Nothing seems to work. My team is very good at limiting opponents' chances but I can't find the solution to stop them from converting it. And there is no pattern, we concede goals from free-kicks, long balls, long shots, crosses. Is it just me and my tactics or does this happen to other FM 21 players too? I am playing FM from the beginnings, never been so frustrated with any version of the game. Losing the odd game against the underdog with them scoring their only chance is bad enough but fine, we have all been there, but being FM'd by 3 bigger teams is just ridiculous.

FMd.jpg

From the match stats you posted, only the Celtic match is a classic "FM'd" match. You didn't lose the others and no, I don't count losing on penalties as losing.

You may be ahead on the shot count and xG, but looking at both, you seem to create chances with low chances of scoring. Even in the most one sided match of the lot, your 17 shots average only 13% scoring chance per shot. Edin C had only the one shot, but had 34% chance of scoring.

It seems like you're not doing too badly attacking-wise. While the other teams' average scoring chance per shot is similar to yours, it could be that the player quality made the difference?

Have just looked at my own save's stats. 1.64 xG for / match and 1.8 scored / match. 1.19 xG against / match and 1.4 conceded / match, so both are slightly above the xG. Your conceded stat is a lot different to mine, so try analysing matches and hopefully something stands out. Maybe the goals come at a certain time of the match (like toward the end) or you're vulnerable to a certain type of goal more than others etc.

Thanks for your answer. These are not random matches, it's my very frustrating League Cup "journey", all 5 matches.  Problem is, opponents keep scoring 2-3 times what is expected, and also more than 50% from their shots on target. And it's the bloody lower leagues and league cup in Scotland, not the World Cup so I don't get it. I have tried to analyze this before posting it here, nothing stands out (apart from keeper save%). I thought it is something with the latest patch or some kind of balancing against successful tactics.

12 minutes ago, Strigo said:

Problem is, opponents keep scoring 2-3 times what is expected, and also more than 50% from their shots on target.

The amount of shots on target could be a hint that you're giving the opposition too much time and space.

On the other hand, now that you mention it, your shots vs shots on target is not great, but at the same time I don't think it's too alarming. It's just in that Celtic game that your shots / shots on target ratio was quite poor. Did they maybe score first and then you started chasing the game too much and rushing shots? Or did they maybe become quite defensive and a lot of shots were blocked?

What I'm trying to get at, is that there should be answers if you analyse matches. Another option is to seek advice in the tactics forum, but then it's a good idea to post as much info as possible.

Looking at the shot numbers, corners etc... especially against bigger teams, it seems like you're using a very aggressive tactic. Is that correct?

How are things going in the league itself?

Yes I'm using a very aggressive tactic indeed. WIth game management and using my full squad, fatigue is not an issue, it's not the late goals I am concerned about. Also, attacking-wise I am happy with these numbers, my players are far from good but they still score a lot. It is the opponents' conversion rate what I don't understand. Playing a high line and offside trap can lead to big chances but it's not just clear-cut chances we concede from. 
In the league, we score 3 and concede 1.2 per game, leading after 5 games and we'll be near the top what is not bad from a newly-promoted team.
You're right, it might be something with the tactic, or the way the AI reacts to it. I used this tactic with great success in my other save but never experienced such a scoring streak against my team.

defense stats.jpg

Edited by Strigo

You struggle against teams much better (a league above) than you. 

You don't seem to struggle (as much) in the league where you're facing teams somewhat similar in ability. As your screenshot above shows though, you do concede a fair amount of goals even here. What's going to happen when the opposition is even better?

Conclusion - your issues aren't in every match. It's against teams who are much better than you. You're trying to take the game to them and it isn't working. They have better players and it seems to be showing. They may have fewer shots, but on average, the % per shot is similar so it seems that the better players are able to finish better against the poorer team.

That's what this looks like to me. Maybe re-think your approach against teams who are a league above you. I'll give you the Celtic match where it really looks like you were unlucky, but can't see much issue with the limited information you've provided so far. You have done well to push those teams that much, but maybe it was a bit too aggressive? In the end, they are the better team, so you're doing well up to a point. Maybe you could benefit from tightening up at certain times in a match or tightening up in general. Maybe just a complete re-think of your strategy against those teams.

At least the problem has been identified, so that will help when you're looking at ways to improve. :thup:

If you are using an aggressive attacking tactic you should not expect a solid defence. You strategy in that case boils down to outscoring the opposition. You are basically admitting to letting the opposition get some good chances and planning to create a greater number of chances yourself. It is clearly working, Even the screen shots you posted at 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. That is a good return. 

Since you mentioned it is not clear cut chances that the opposition are scoring from, then how are they scoring exactly? When I am playing attacking football, I tend to get done by goals that come from quick transitions that never allow my players to get back into correct defensive positions. It is not always the same assist, or shot type and position. It is a pattern. That is what I assume is happening here, because it is common for attacking tactics. It is a fact of life in that style. If it is something else, then you should focus on fixing that because it is unlikely due to your tactical philosophy and it is probable you can stop it. 

Well, that's the point, there is no pattern (or nothing I'm aware of yet). There are more goals conceded from route one GK assists as I play a high line, also there are a few indirect free-kick goals because of constantly kicking opposition forwards, I accept these because it's the risk I take with an attacking mindset. But there are not many similarities among the goals my team concede, it's just everything goes in.  I was able to reduce goals conceded from corners (attacking and defending ones too), I'm paying attention to opposition player strenghts (I miss customizable opp. inst. screen), even watched a full 90 minutes to find out  what's wrong, I'm not really whinging here, just got a bit tired of post-match pressers "How on Earth you lost this" questions. It is starting to become very frustrating especially when I lose 1-0 after I dominate the biggest team I could play against.

Yes, you've allowed 8 goals versus your opponents have a combined Xg of (roughly) 2.8.  But they have superior talent and Xg does not take into account the talent of a player involved in a particular play.  So a long shot by De Bruyne and the midfielder from the bottom of your division, who has long range shots of 4, have the same Xg.

I've felt your frustration.  But taking perspective, you should be pleased that you have limited the chances of your opponents, despite their superior players.  But superior talent can overcome the best plans.  As Mike Tyson said:  "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."