The National Team Thread

I just thought it would be a fun thread to post how you are doing with International teams you are managing. I am hoping to manage some obscure National teams in this Ultimate Manager Challenge I am doing.

Feel free to post how you are doing. 

Maybe people can pick a lower National team and see how high you can take them etc.

4 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I think USA national team would be a good one on this version. Lots of talent coming through in Europe, several with German connections...... Pulisic, Reyna, Adams, McKennie, Zach Steffen will become a quality keeper in time too.

Definitely a good shout. They also have Timothy Weah and Yunus Musah as well. A very good squad. Also Canada has a few good players like Jonathah David, Alphonso Davis etc. 

They are doing things right in North America.

I think the lowest ranked side you can manage might be Kosovo. You're relying on players developing in Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia with second nationality and willing to switch to a lower ranked side, but their squad should have some good promise - Muric, Rrahmani, Vojvoda, Berisha, Zhegrova, Muriqi, Rashica, etc.

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

I think the lowest ranked side you can manage might be Kosovo. You're relying on players developing in Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia with second nationality and willing to switch to a lower ranked side, but their squad should have some good promise - Muric, Rrahmani, Vojvoda, Berisha, Zhegrova, Muriqi, Rashica, etc.

Yeah I managed them briefly on the Beta in a career save I had with someone and enjoyed managing them as a challenge.

Jamaica would be another good option but annoyingly FM doesn't let you call up certain players. I can't remember who now but I think some of them were Scott Sinclair, Jamal Blackman and Andre Gray.

I am glad to see Ravel Morrison has been capped. I might manage Jamaica again at some point on FM21.

Here is my attempt I had a couple of years a go.

Apparently in real life Jamaica were trying to convince Mason Greenwood, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Kelvin Philips and Mason Holgate before England called them up.

Just now, Ewan0404 said:

@Ronaldo Beckham I have given up already after 2 games sadly. There's just too little to do in the save, too much clicking continue to get to the next match.

I think you need a break from FM mate. You always seem bored and don't stick with saves. Just have a break until the patch comes out is my advice but it is up to you.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I think you need a break from FM mate. You always seem bored and don't stick with saves. Just have a break until the patch comes out is my advice but it is up to you.

Similar to yourself then, it always takes me a while to get gripped in a save, I usually start around 6 saves before I find one I enjoy. 

@Ronaldo Beckham 

@Ewan0404

Hi Both

Been a long time since I did an international save. Last one really was probably FM17 and had a lovely little Iceland save.

I think the "clicking with nothing to do" bit....unless its changed since then id be like FM Gareth Southgate. Id be going out to the matches watching the players i want to pick in my squad. Id be shuffling round the talent pool and monitoring form.

Yes you cant sign anyone, and the games are infrequent but thats the international life.

Ewan, i had a suggestion for you. Why not manage somewhere completely off the radar, where you literally know nothing about the teams, the players, who should be good, who shouldnt be etc.

I had a lot of fun on FM20, probably my most enjoyable long term game actually, in CHILE.

I had no idea who any of my own players were, except maybe the odd one that had a spell in Europe and was now over the hill. Didnt know how good my competition was.

It meant i managed every game on its merit, with no pre conceived ideas of how my team should play, how i should stop the opposition, whether i was over or underachieving, i just watched every game, made changes, and then hopefully won. Often lost. Moved on.

Its just a thought.

Other benefit is it lets you see a whole host of players you might not ordinarily scout that could do a job for you when you load up another team thats more familiar.

4 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

@Ronaldo Beckham 

@Ewan0404

Hi Both

Been a long time since I did an international save. Last one really was probably FM17 and had a lovely little Iceland save.

I think the "clicking with nothing to do" bit....unless its changed since then id be like FM Gareth Southgate. Id be going out to the matches watching the players i want to pick in my squad. Id be shuffling round the talent pool and monitoring form.

Yes you cant sign anyone, and the games are infrequent but thats the international life.

Ewan, i had a suggestion for you. Why not manage somewhere completely off the radar, where you literally know nothing about the teams, the players, who should be good, who shouldnt be etc.

I had a lot of fun on FM20, probably my most enjoyable long term game actually, in CHILE.

I had no idea who any of my own players were, except maybe the odd one that had a spell in Europe and was now over the hill. Didnt know how good my competition was.

It meant i managed every game on its merit, with no pre conceived ideas of how my team should play, how i should stop the opposition, whether i was over or underachieving, i just watched every game, made changes, and then hopefully won. Often lost. Moved on.

Its just a thought.

Other benefit is it lets you see a whole host of players you might not ordinarily scout that could do a job for you when you load up another team thats more familiar.

I aint as bad a Ewan lol. I do a few short term saves before I settle on a long term save. I am currently doing this Ultimate Manager challenge that keeps me busy.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I aint as bad a Ewan lol. I do a few short term saves before I settle on a long term save. I am currently doing this Ultimate Manager challenge that keeps me busy.

Your just as bad as me haha. I talk about starting a lot of saves just before the new updates out. 

I've had my plans for the winter update for months. I just tend to struggle for a short term save haha

7 minutes ago, Ewan0404 said:

Your just as bad as me haha. I talk about starting a lot of saves just before the new updates out. 

I've had my plans for the winter update for months. I just tend to struggle for a short term save haha

Nobody can be as bad as you. Not even me lol.

You start saves and don't even get past the first day lol.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Nobody can be as bad as you. Not even me lol.

You start saves and don't even get past the first day lol.

I'd rather do 1 day and then not like it than do 1 season with 10 clubs and not continue 😂

Once I find a save I like it lasts seasons. I've yet to see you do more than 1 season this year so I don't understand why your trying to pick an argument with me. 

1 minute ago, Ewan0404 said:

I'd rather do 1 day and then not like it than do 1 season with 10 clubs and not continue 😂

Once I find a save I like it lasts seasons. I've yet to see you do more than 1 season this year so I don't understand why your trying to pick an argument with me. 

Sorry Ewan I was just joking. I didn't mean any offense. Just a bit of banter mate. I wont do it again as it hit a nerve with you and I am sorry for that.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Sorry Ewan I was just joking. I didn't mean any offense. Just a bit of banter mate. I wont do it again as it hit a nerve with you and I am sorry for that.

No your fine. I just took it the wrong way. If its banter I'm fine with it 😂

Are you gonna do an update thread anywhere with your new challenge? Always enjoy your write ups. 

1 minute ago, Ewan0404 said:

No your fine. I just took it the wrong way. If its banter I'm fine with it 😂

Are you gonna do an update thread anywhere with your new challenge? Always enjoy your write ups. 

Nah mate. I do my write ups in the Ultimate Challenge thread on the Challenges section. Have a look when you get chance. 

I appreciate your kind words.