Change of tactic instruction and training

Hi all,

I was wondering if changing a tactical instruction requires any days in between to train for it.

As an example: I've been playing a 4-2-3-1 (positive against "lesser" teams and cautious against the big guys), standard passing with standard tempo for quite a while and doing OK.

The day before a match I see that the opposition report says they are poor at tackling, workrate and pace, but good at aerial. My thought was to change to shorter passing, high tempo and wider with low crosses. My thought process was to pull them out wider, pass quickly around them and tire them out.

I was wondering if changing something like that just "happens" or whether you need to set it in tactics for a few days so it can be trained - or even if there is a "train for this" option - or maybe the players won'r really listen anyway because they're used to a system by now.

I delegate all of my training to my assistant too.

I'm going to play the game later, so I'll see how I get on anyway.

If you're making changes to a tactic, you're changing players' tactical familiarity, so it will have effects. Use training sessions that help tactical familiarity to improve it.

On the other hand, I always think of it this way : better to have a great plan (assuming it IS a great plan ;)) and 80% familiarity than a poor or no plan and 100% familiarity. Of course, that means I don't make massive changes to a tactic in such a case.

• 2 weeks later...