Attacking corners - players staying back chase their marked opponents too early.

Hi there, not something new as it's been noted in previous FM versions.

My team had a corner and, as is common, both my FB's stayed back near halfway line. After clearance the opposition launched a counter attack during which my FB's should logically a) try and stop the player on the ball and/or b) position themselves to help interrupt it and cover potential pass recipients as much as possible.

However instead they opted to c) LEAVE A PLAYER UNMARKED in the centre circle who was now closest to my goal and d) RUSH AWAY FROM THE BALL towards opposition wingers they were instructed to mark in PI's. Obviously the counter was successful as my "lurker o/s the area" chasing back wasn't able to stop the pass for an easy 1-on-1 which in the end likely cost me important two points in my title challenge.

The .pkm file shows it all in 68th minute, it's the goal for 1-2.

Whatever the instructions there is no way any player even with poor attributes and in a poorest league when being the last line of defence would make a decision that it is more important to mark their guy quite far from our goal rather than preventing the immediate danger, ie goal opportunity for the opponents. I know PI's override TI's etc but clearly defending against a counter is an exceptional situation where some PI's like individual marking shouldn't be the deciding factor. This definitely needs fixing.

As I mentioned I saw it happen in older versions but thought this year the issue was sorted. Turns out it's only because I very rarely told my FB's to mark their opponents and didn't have a chance to spot it until now...

Bologna v Napoli.pkm

• 4 months later...