Complete forward as lone striker

I'm mostly using a 4-2-3-1 formation, which works quite well, generally. However, the most difficult position in this formation seems to be the striker, as most goals are coming from the wings and the AMC.

I play with a back four with the full backs usually on support, two MCs as DLP support and BWM defend, AML and AMR as wingers and AMC as AP, all three can be either support or defend or a combination depending on the opposition and the general team mentality I choose for the match.

Complete forward is the role that most of my strikers are best suited for, though a couple are also suited well to play as a false 9, so I would like to find a way to make my fomation work with one of these roles, preferably the complete forward.

Currently my striker is often getting poor match ratings and not scoring goals. I got a new striker at the start of the season, but after only scoring once, I put him on loan in january and replaced him with a new signing, who is yet to score after 7 games. Both of these players have complete forward as their preferred role, and they both scored plenty of goals before they came to my club, so I guess it must be my tactics.

How do I make my 4-2-3-1 work with a CF?

By the way, it's FM17, if it makes a difference.

1 hour ago, ReddaJoppe said:

By the way, it's FM17, if it makes a difference.

It will make a huge dfference as the match engine's completley different

If you throw up a pic of your tactic, I'll try & help. Pics of your strikers would help too

Here you go.

I might alter tactics slightly, depending on opposition and who I pick for the starting lineup.

Dyrmose is my main striker, but because he seems to be underperforming, I have tried other options. Seung-Ho is mainly played as right wing, but occasionally as striker (I tend to rotate somewhat in attack). Kern is next in line, but also used on left wing, while Terada is fourth choice, but also playing as winger sometimes.

785119488_MichaelDyrmose.png.6eea61789561c46fdd5ba865f79d28d9.png 1793501373_ChoSeung-Ho.png.5904522937e9486c048e83d93eadc561.png 134927873_JochenKern.png.5629065f9542e7049453dd044ee5e66a.png   1447545625_KazuyaTerada.png.d6cc80c5c6001e60a4ecb86a24500b4e.png

452904789_4-2-3-1tactics.png.5c6a008a6f43928de6876a91cb2ea3e7.png

Looks pretty obvious to me thsat your striker in support is feeding balls to the attacking midfielders in attack, hence is normal that he doesn't score goals, get him in attack and the AMC in support, that should improve his numbers.

Edited by Sharkn20

8 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Looks pretty obvious to me that your striker in support is feeding balls to the attacking midfielders in attack, hence is normal that he doesn't score goals, get him in attack and the AMC in support, that should improve his numbers.

I tried that already without results. Also, just because he isn't scoring goals, he shouln't be getting poor match ratings all time, should he?

Yeah, they're all support types players & you're playing them on support with a bunch of attack duties around them, they look like they're doing just fine 

If you want them score more, try an an Advanced Forward role with a couple of support duties around him, you can have the AMC on Support & the left winger. Complete Forwards like to roam, drop deep & feed other players, an Advanced Forward is more focused on scoring 

What do you want the striker to do? What should his main job be? To score, or to create space for others, or a mixture of both?

In this tactic your striker is going to be frequently isolated centrally. Nobody in midfield is really getting forward to support him, except the AMC who will mainly look to pass. There is also nobody cutting inside from wide positions. With two wingers you are going to funnel play wide, and therefore get a lot of crosses. All of your strikers are really poor in the air, so they are going to lose the majority of headers. It is hard to see how you want to score goals. 

Almost any role can work, but it is not as simple as saying yes or no. In this tactic, there is no point in a striker trying to do anything other than score. There is no point making space, because there is nobody trying to use that space. So in that respect a CF(S) is going to create space that is never used. If you want a CF(S) you want to have some players breaking into the central areas. From wide and from the centre. Which would imply an IF (I think FM17 is before IW? I do not recall) is needed on one side. Then you can play with how you get a central player forward too.

Playing as an AF(A) is the more obvious thing to do, but I am not sure any of the players you have are suited to that style. Sueng-Ho looks best suited for this  kind of role. Playing on the shoulder of the last defender and beating them with their pace and anticipation. But I do not think any of those strikers are particularly well suited to be a lone striker. 

7 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

What do you want the striker to do? What should his main job be? To score, or to create space for others, or a mixture of both?

I was thinking both, since his best role is a complete forward.

7 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Almost any role can work, but it is not as simple as saying yes or no. In this tactic, there is no point in a striker trying to do anything other than score. There is no point making space, because there is nobody trying to use that space. So in that respect a CF(S) is going to create space that is never used. If you want a CF(S) you want to have some players breaking into the central areas. From wide and from the centre. Which would imply an IF (I think FM17 is before IW? I do not recall) is needed on one side. Then you can play with how you get a central player forward too.

Playing as an AF(A) is the more obvious thing to do, but I am not sure any of the players you have are suited to that style. Sueng-Ho looks best suited for this  kind of role. Playing on the shoulder of the last defender and beating them with their pace and anticipation. But I do not think any of those strikers are particularly well suited to be a lone striker. 

So, you're saying that a CF only works well with an IF (or in a striker partnership perhaps)? In that case, I probably need to rethink my tactic quite a bit.

11 hours ago, ReddaJoppe said:

So, you're saying that a CF only works well with an IF (or in a striker partnership perhaps)? In that case, I probably need to rethink my tactic quite a bit.

It is not a role I use particularly often, so I am not confident enough to say that. The point is that the role and duty of a single player cannot be taken in isolation. Each role will interact differently with those around it. I would imagine that a CF should be able to both act as a player who creates space and as a goal threat. I think the weakness in your tactic is that there is not a huge amount of help for whoever you play as a striker. So I think that your striker will struggle with whatever role you give him. 

Right now nobody is really helping your striker out much by forcing defenders to make choices. The CBs basically have one thing to do, which is to watch your striker. It usually takes a world class striker to succeed in those situations. I'd definitely be looking at how I could get runners into the centre to support him. It could be an IF, a BBM, an AM(A)/SS, or whatever else might work.

The caveat is that if you are winning and getting good results, maybe it is just fine. You can accept the striker does a job that is not rewarded in his individual performance but benefits the team as a whole.