How would you achieve this positioning?

Hi fellas,

Been working on a few different systems across a couple of versions of FM, most recently a Pep style 4-3-3 (2-3-5 in attack) on FM18. One slight issue I've ran into in all of them is the positioning of my wide players.

Ideally I'd like to have wingers who play as high as possible, stay wide through the build up play look to run in behind. I'd like them to really stretch out the opposition back line and pin their full backs, in order to create space in other areas. Similar to how City's wingers play. The problem I've found is that they often don't push up right to the last line, instead they sort of hang around in the middle third during the build up. I've attached a few screenshots to demonstrate the positioning I'm seeing and the positioning that I'd like to see.

So far I've tried out and out wingers. I think the screenshots below are using wingers and as you can see, they do keep the width, but don't position themselves high enough, so they're not in a position to run in behind. Please keep in mind that these wingers have the PI of 'Get Further Forward'.

I've also used inside forwards, although only in systems where they are not required to keep the width. I think they'd play higher and threaten in behind, but wouldn't keep enough width in the build up play.

I can provide more info on my current tactic if required, but based on the info above - what would people recommend to get wingers playing as high and wide as possible, so that they stretch the oppo defence as wide as possible and can look to move in behind if possible? My next experiment would probably be Inside Forwards but with the team width set to the widest option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ajaxwingers.PNG

ajaxwingers1.PNG

ajaxwingers2.PNG

ac milan wingers.PNG

14 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

Hi fellas,

Been working on a few different systems across a couple of versions of FM, most recently a Pep style 4-3-3 (2-3-5 in attack) on FM18. One slight issue I've ran into in all of them is the positioning of my wide players.

Ideally I'd like to have wingers who play as high as possible, stay wide through the build up play look to run in behind. I'd like them to really stretch out the opposition back line and pin their full backs, in order to create space in other areas. Similar to how City's wingers play. The problem I've found is that they often don't push up right to the last line, instead they sort of hang around in the middle third during the build up. I've attached a few screenshots to demonstrate the positioning I'm seeing and the positioning that I'd like to see.

So far I've tried out and out wingers. I think the screenshots below are using wingers and as you can see, they do keep the width, but don't position themselves high enough, so they're not in a position to run in behind. Please keep in mind that these wingers have the PI of 'Get Further Forward'.

I've also used inside forwards, although only in systems where they are not required to keep the width. I think they'd play higher and threaten in behind, but wouldn't keep enough width in the build up play.

I can provide more info on my current tactic if required, but based on the info above - what would people recommend to get wingers playing as high and wide as possible, so that they stretch the oppo defence as wide as possible and can look to move in behind if possible? My next experiment would probably be Inside Forwards but with the team width set to the widest option.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ajaxwingers.PNG

ajaxwingers1.PNG

ajaxwingers2.PNG

ac milan wingers.PNG

Wingers will not be enough for such a high position. You can try wingbacks with roles like complete wing back and give them PI or traits. The winger role in the game is classified as a AMR or MR which means they will have midfielder like behaviour and will look to support the attack instead of making runs behind.

5 minutes ago, RPM_01 said:

What about RMD's?

RMD is the most aggressive AM in the game often playing like a second striker. But the role is still classified as AM which means it will get forward and stay forward (seldom track back to defend) but it will move towards central areas rather than at wide positions. Also it has 'roam from position' as a default PI which makes it even worse than a winger at providing width.