Inconsistent Player

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering is there a way to train/mentor this out of a player? I don't seem to have any success with removing it.

Also other ways to effect player temperament and personality, is there any suggestions? I know praise/criticise/warn/fine work for quite a few attributes, context dependent, and mentoring works for others. As does training teamwork/stamina/leadership. Is there any I'm missing?

Final question, is there a way to improve the set pieces attribute? Technique training?

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, Malilk said:

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering is there a way to train/mentor this out of a player? I don't seem to have any success with removing it.

Also other ways to effect player temperament and personality, is there any suggestions? I know praise/criticise/warn/fine work for quite a few attributes, context dependent, and mentoring works for others. As does training teamwork/stamina/leadership. Is there any I'm missing?

Final question, is there a way to improve the set pieces attribute? Technique training?

Some players will 'age out' from this and also tutoring from professional/consistent players can help ... the other thing to consider is do you have a motivational coach? ... their main advantage is that they increase the general morale of the team and help with mental stats.

PS - Set-pieces comprise of multiple aspects ... there are three hidden attributes, freekicks / corners and penalties ... these work in tandem with visible attributes to give the actual ability in those areas:
Corners - Corners & Crossing
Freekicks - Freekicks & Shooting
Penalties - Penalties & Shooting

So generally speaking improving crossing / shooting will help with this side of things HOWEVER they will need some aptitude for set-pieces really to ever excel at it.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Malilk said:

Thanks Marc that's great appreciate the help.

I normally have myself set as the motivational coach. Might be worth adding a second to try to drive it out of the youth player initially.

One thing to bear in mind is that if they start as unprofessional you might be able to turn them around ... but the chances of them becoming actually 'professional' is slim unless you get them a role-model (ie. mentor) in their formative years .. with the right role model IF they hit it off then they can radically change if you catch them young enough.

(so motivational coaches are great for a squad-wise effect and smaller improvements, for radical effects .. one on one mentoring is king ... but don't expect miracles if they aren't young (ie. 19 or under) ... once they see themselves as an 'adult' they're harder to influence ..)

3 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

One thing to bear in mind is that if they start as unprofessional you might be able to turn them around ... but the chances of them becoming actually 'professional' is slim unless you get them a role-model (ie. mentor) in their formative years .. with the right role model IF they hit it off then they can radically change if you catch them young enough.

(so motivational coaches are great for a squad-wise effect and smaller improvements, for radical effects .. one on one mentoring is king ... but don't expect miracles if they aren't young (ie. 19 or under) ... one they see themselves as an 'adult' they're harder to influence ..)

Thanks for the extra info. I've taken to ditching unprofessional youths as it's tough, even with a strict pro mentor to change them. This reaffirms that.

I might try write a training guide or something similar, with this new information and what I've learned previously. It would be well worthwhile, save you some work answering questions as well!

Edited by Malilk