Crashing when starting a match

Playing as Dartford 4 years in. I had auto-resolved a match, something I almost never do, then it auto-saved before the next match. Any attempt to play the next game crashes the game. Both auto resolve and watch match. This has effectively boinked my save file. 

It seems like this is a known issue per the FAQ, but I wanted to confirm this and wonder if there is any work around. At the moment, its locked up my game and its very frustrating. 

Let me know if I need to provide anything else. 

• SI Staff

Hi @Patricoo, sorry to hear this is happening for you. Can you just confirm whether you're on the latest update, 21.3? We've fixed similar issues to this in the latest update for when a user simulates a game and then tries to play the next one.

25 minutes ago, Alistair Skewes said:

Hi @Patricoo, sorry to hear this is happening for you. Can you just confirm whether you're on the latest update, 21.3? We've fixed similar issues to this in the latest update for when a user simulates a game and then tries to play the next one.

Same thing happened to me. 4 seasons in and I’m unable to play/simulate/instant result my next match. Message displayed is “The software was closed because an error occurred”. I’m using the latest software update and have checked this since, to ensure. Also happy to provide further information. 

• SI Staff

Hi @JCXATU, thanks for your additional information. Can I ask what team you're playing as, and what leagues you have loaded? Also, is your problem exactly as listed above - you've simulated a match (during a match or before?), and now the game crashes when trying to enter the next one?

Hi, I have just experienced the exact same thing, I have latest update.

playing as Hull now into 2027, simulated a game and now crashes everytime I try to play/sim the next game, only have English leagues loaded lowest being League 2

will I lose this save?

• SI Staff

@Patricoo@JCXATU @Rossatkin - sorry you're all experiencing this. It seems that you're all in your 4th season, playing in England? I'll do some investigating today on this. 

If you could try bypassing the next match by selecting "Go on Holiday", does the game still crash? Are you able to then enter/simulate the match after that?

Also, out of interest, have any of you had the game open for a long period of time (as in, you haven't closed the game application, or turned off your Switch console?) - this would help us work out whether this crash might be related to some kind of memory leak from having the game running in the background a lot.

Thanks,

Ali

4 minutes ago, Alistair Skewes said:

@Patricoo@JCXATU @Rossatkin - sorry you're all experiencing this. It seems that you're all in your 4th season, playing in England? I'll do some investigating today on this. 

If you could try bypassing the next match by selecting "Go on Holiday", does the game still crash? Are you able to then enter/simulate the match after that?

Also, out of interest, have any of you had the game open for a long period of time (as in, you haven't closed the game application, or turned off your Switch console?) - this would help us work out whether this crash might be related to some kind of memory leak from having the game running in the background a lot.

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Ali,

Thanks for getting back, appreciate it.

I’m playing as Torino in mine, don’t know if that makes a difference but just thought I’d mention it’s not an English save. 

I’ve also tried the “go on holiday” option to bypass and unfortunately this caused a crash too. I’m not sure about the others but mine was running for a couple of days without the Switch being fully turned off (on sleep mode). I have reinstalled the game and tried all the Switch troubleshooting methods.

2 hours ago, Alistair Skewes said:

Thanks,

Ali

I have also tried go on holiday to bypass the next game and the same error occurs, sometime my switch is in sleep mode over night but often the game is closed down and rebooted so I don’t think that caused it this time as I had freshly loaded the game today. 

Also having this problem on FM21 Touch on iMac - playing as Inverness Caledonian Thistle, with Scottish, English, German leagues loaded.

Can't holiday past, instant result or get to game at all. Tried clearing caches/reinstalling game/installing on another computer but the save won't work.

Really hope there is a fix to this as I would hate to lose the save.

• SI Staff

Thanks @joeblackham, it does seem like this might be an issue for a lot of platforms, rather than specifically Switch - we'll continue to look into things. Sorry again for the inconvenience this is inevitably causing you all.

5 hours ago, Alistair Skewes said:

Thanks @joeblackham, it does seem like this might be an issue for a lot of platforms, rather than specifically Switch - we'll continue to look into things. Sorry again for the inconvenience this is inevitably causing you all.

O, I was also getting this so I uninstalled the game and now I am stuck at the loading screen infinitely when trying to get back into the game

Same issue. December 22 I am virtus francavilla, serie B, game auto saved day before a match and now I can't play match or holiday past or anything. Have english leagues down to national league, all Italian and all German league loaded. Software closed because an error. 

The same issue has happened to me twice now first time as Gateshead and today as Blyth with only the english leagues running i’m 4 seasons in. Will this issue be getting resolved as it really makes playing the game pointless knowing you will lose all your work after 4 seasons.

• SI Staff

Hi all, thanks for your patience on this and everyone's additional information - we're still working on a fix for this, and we'll keep you updated once progress is made on that. Please do keep your saves safe in the meantime.

Another one to throw in the mix!

2023/24, York in League 2 (England, Scotland and Ireland loaded)

No issues at all with the save before issue with software error message.

Don’t auto result any matches and game only recently turned on after a few days with other games being played on the Switch.

Hopefully we’ll find a resolution!

I'm experiencing this same crash when starting a match. I'm on my fourth season with Salford FC, currently in the Championship, only English teams downloaded. I try to start a match and I get "“The software was closed because an error occurred”. Software is up to date. Let me know if you need any further information. 

Another one to add to the pile! I play FM21 on the Nintendo Switch, and I am manager of Eastleigh FC, in my third season, currently in the English League 1. I try to go into my next game, it freezes and then gives me the following message: "The software was closed because an error occurred." before closing the game. I have tried various ways to by-pass this msg, such as going on holiday, saving my game into a different save port. Do we have an idea of when this fix will be available? It would be such a shame to get rid of this save. In the meantime are there any other ideas of how to by-pass this message? Thanks!

On 16/03/2021 at 10:48, Alistair Skewes said:

Hi all, thanks for your patience on this and everyone's additional information - we're still working on a fix for this, and we'll keep you updated once progress is made on that. Please do keep your saves safe in the meantime.

Hi, any updates on the fix? thanks

• SI Staff

Hi all, thank you for all your information and patience - it was really appreciated on this! We've now put out a new update, 21.4, which we hope will fix this issue on your existing saves. Please let me know whether this does indeed fix the issue for you.

Cheers,

Ali