How does a DOF decide on transfers

This year more than ever I’ve loved doing DOF saves where I leave all of the transfers and contracts to the director of football and I just manage what he brings in. Adds a bit more randomness and challenge to saves and stops me getting all the best free transfers every year which jumps you up the leagues unrealistically quickly. 

Im now managing Colchester in League 2 (top of the table in February) but they have a number of loans in the first season and when they leave the striker and left back positions only have one player in each position.

I'm curious as to how the DOF will recognise the need to fill these spaces as on a previous save with Villa after the 1st season and making the champions league (They’re a dream to play counter attacking football with!!), the DOF went out and strengthened the attack with no defensive reinforcements which were definitely needed.

Wondered how the AI decides what positions you’re DOF will look to strengthen? I’ve cleared my squad depth page of all the lower star youngsters in the hope that the AI will see that there is only one first team standard striker and one leftback when the loanees leave and target signings in that area. Aware I can add players to the transfer target list but that feels like just me making the signings again.

Is there any info on how the DOF decides on signings and what positions to make signings in?