First football manager since 2006 - help please?

So I downloaded FM Xbox edition yesterday and it’s the first time I’ve played a FM since 2006, honestly really because I’ve not owned a PC since - I’ve played bits and pieces here and there on the mobile version but nothing serious - hey champ manager 03/04 and then straight onto FM 2005 - I absolutely LOVED

So now I seem to be in the situation whereas, it’s incredible how deep these games are and you have to tip your hat off, to SI for the complex systems they have in place - I just feel absolutely overwhelmed with the game now, FM 2005 and CM 03/04 from what it remember felt deep but you didn’t really have to worry about doing too much during the game and in the week during games - play 2021 on the Xbox - I played my team which is hull city - and I don’t know if it’s the control scheme or if it’s just the fact of there is so so much I have to do or feel I have to do,

Now without saying I AM RUBBISH (which to be honest I probably am) I have gotten to December with hull city and I’m 19th, I’ve tried all different tactics during the game and before the game, different positions for players (keeping in the positions they actually are in obviously) - but just getting beat 70% of the time

apart  from the tactics on the pitch for my own team, I’m not really touching any of the other mechanics in the game.....sorry for this long long winded question but to get out of the game what I actually want (I know We all can’t win every game) do I have to put a lot lot more into it then I actually am doing? So rather than pressing RT RT through the week to the games, should I be doing a hell of a lot more to help me when the games come around?

I know this isn’t Xbox centric but i thought I would put it here anyways, the controls for the Xbox I’m struggling with as well, the cursor seems to be too fast - and the other way I’m getting mixed up between the analog and d pad........if anyone can help me it would be greatly greatly appreciated 👍👍

Edited by MisterBigMack

I think the most important thing to do is to watch videos for tips etc and to just go through absolutely every menu and get affiliated with it all. Since Xbox edition is basically just FM Touch the stuff in between games is greatly cut out.

11 hours ago, MisterBigMack said:

So I downloaded FM Xbox edition yesterday and it’s the first time I’ve played a FM since 2006, honestly really because I’ve not owned a PC since - I’ve played bits and pieces here and there on the mobile version but nothing serious - hey champ manager 03/04 and then straight onto FM 2005 - I absolutely LOVED

So now I seem to be in the situation whereas, it’s incredible how deep these games are and you have to tip your hat off, to SI for the complex systems they have in place - I just feel absolutely overwhelmed with the game now, FM 2005 and CM 03/04 from what it remember felt deep but you didn’t really have to worry about doing too much during the game and in the week during games - play 2021 on the Xbox - I played my team which is hull city - and I don’t know if it’s the control scheme or if it’s just the fact of there is so so much I have to do or feel I have to do,

Now without saying I AM RUBBISH (which to be honest I probably am) I have gotten to December with hull city and I’m 19th, I’ve tried all different tactics during the game and before the game, different positions for players (keeping in the positions they actually are in obviously) - but just getting beat 70% of the time

apart  from the tactics on the pitch for my own team, I’m not really touching any of the other mechanics in the game.....sorry for this long long winded question but to get out of the game what I actually want (I know We all can’t win every game) do I have to put a lot lot more into it then I actually am doing? So rather than pressing RT RT through the week to the games, should I be doing a hell of a lot more to help me when the games come around?

I know this isn’t Xbox centric but i thought I would put it here anyways, the controls for the Xbox I’m struggling with as well, the cursor seems to be too fast - and the other way I’m getting mixed up between the analog and d pad........if anyone can help me it would be greatly greatly appreciated 👍👍

There's no doubt there's a learning curve to this game, especially if you're a newcomer. My best advice to you would be to start a save with a team like Juve, PSG, Real/Barcelona and play through a season just to get to grip with the game. The quality of players should ensure you're winning most games unless you're getting something horribly wrong tactically and there'll be freedom to go through each screen and to experiment with tactics etc.

If you're struggling tactically, I'd suggest going with some of the tactical presets provided by the game and then slowly changing things through the course of the season to see what works and what doesn't. They're a good base for getting started.

As an aside, I would say you don't have to dab into training as your assistant can take care of it for now. Once you become more comfortable with the game you could maybe look at it in more detail. You should just focus on tactics and transfers for now.