A lot of outside of the box goals?

Could be related to line of engagement and or whether you deploy a player or two on the edge of the box during set pieces.

I notice in FM18 I can't put someone on the edge of any defensive set piece except corners and that I concede goals from the edge of the box from defensive set pieces as a result.

Also may be worth looking at your midfielders' positioning, work rate, aggression, bravery, acceleration, anticipation and tackling. If they are too lightweight defensively the opposition will have it easy finding space on the edge of the box.

Edited by Domus Clamantium

Em 15/03/2021 em 09:24, Tyburn disse:

Personally I can’t say I’ve scored or conceded a noticeable amount of screamers.

For me this is the best ME in years for the variety and balance of goals scored.

Do you play low leaguer clubs ?

6 minutos atrás, Tyburn disse:

I do. I also have a save going with Lille.

But right now, are you playing any save on lower league ? I mean, 5th division or less? Im seeing odd goals from outside of the box with high frequency, really amazing shoots from poor players

3 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

But right now, are you playing any save on lower league ? I mean, 5th division or less? Im seeing odd goals from outside of the box with high frequency, really amazing shoots from poor players

My main save at the moment is with Arbroath. We’re now in the Scottish Prem. I honestly can’t remember long shots being an issue last year in the championship, or with Albion when I started the save 4 seasons ago. I WAS conceding lots of goals from balls over the top in that league though (Scottish league two), but tweaked my tactic a bit to minimise it.

On 14/03/2021 at 23:48, thiagoanjo said:

It is just me or we have a lot of goals coming from outside of the box?

Almost never. The only time I get scored on is from a throw-in or a corner. The only "open" play goals I concede are immediately after I clear (like head a corner out) but the player on the edge of the area or staying forward don't run after and result in a counter attack.

3 horas atrás, wazzaflow10 disse:

Almost never. The only time I get scored on is from a throw-in or a corner. The only "open" play goals I concede are immediately after I clear (like head a corner out) but the player on the edge of the area or staying forward don't run after and result in a counter attack.

I hate that bug (freeze time) on player on edge of the area after corners

7 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

Here it is happening a lot, I will paste here the goals starting from now:

- I just conceded this right now, the guy:

image.png.afcf026cfde02b1c8a17027d943f2c87.png

The goal:

Regardless of the player's attributes because blind squirrels can find acorns, your defensive line appears to be set quite low here and that leads to more shots on the edge of your area. I'm guessing because your defensive line isn't stepping out this is a low mentality and low line of engagement, so this is going to happen.

If you want a low defensive line you could try setting your midfielders to specifically mark the opposition midfielders and close down more using Player Instructions so they do not get such opportunities, or you could set a team instruction of Mark Tighter.

3 horas atrás, Domus Clamantium disse:

Regardless of the player's attributes because blind squirrels can find acorns, your defensive line appears to be set quite low here and that leads to more shots on the edge of your area. I'm guessing because your defensive line isn't stepping out this is a low mentality and low line of engagement, so this is going to happen.

If you want a low defensive line you could try setting your midfielders to specifically mark the opposition midfielders and close down more using Player Instructions so they do not get such opportunities, or you could set a team instruction of Mark Tighter.

If I played like you said, I wasnt creating a thread like that. Obviously all your statements are wrong and I know how to avoid shoots from outside, the problem is it is happening a lot and most of the times it is unblockable, the player receives the ball and almost insta kick. 

Also, you wont see players like that scoring often that kind of goals. I didnt see this issue on FM20, for instance.

16 hours ago, thiagoanjo said:

Here it is happening a lot, I will paste here the goals starting from now:

- I just conceded this right now, the guy:

image.png.afcf026cfde02b1c8a17027d943f2c87.png

The goal:

Pretty certain, in FM terms, I'd be rated 1 in most attributes & I've scored better speccys than that :D Terrible players can still pull off moments of brilliance

On 15/03/2021 at 03:48, thiagoanjo said:

It is just me or we have a lot of goals coming from outside of the box?

Yeah I've noticed it a lot, it seems if they have a tiny bit of space they'll shoot instantly and score way more often then they should. As people have mentioned tactics obviously do play a part in it, but in lower leagues it's either play deeper or watch strikers run in behind your defence for 1v1s. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I made a bug post about it but didn't get any feedback from staff, but if you have some pkms you can add it and maybe more exposure will help. 

12 horas atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

Pretty certain, in FM terms, I'd be rated 1 in most attributes & I've scored better speccys than that :D Terrible players can still pull off moments of brilliance

Yeah, that is not the case on professional games, you dont see that frequency even on top leagues. It is rare, even more rare on low leagues, you can watch the replays on real life, you wont see those goals happening everygame or so

11 horas atrás, Senak disse:

Yeah I've noticed it a lot, it seems if they have a tiny bit of space they'll shoot instantly and score way more often then they should. As people have mentioned tactics obviously do play a part in it, but in lower leagues it's either play deeper or watch strikers run in behind your defence for 1v1s. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I made a bug post about it but didn't get any feedback from staff, but if you have some pkms you can add it and maybe more exposure will help. 

Yeah, there is two issues, defense is worse than attack in this version, they buffed forwards AI more than defenders. And that insta shoots arent reality based.

2 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Statistically our number of goals from outside the box is actually a fair bit lower than in real life. We also have less shots from crazy distances/angles than in real life as well.

As has been stated above, it's worth posting in the tactics forums to see if you're potentially leaving that area of the pitch too exposed.

I don't generally agree that you should see less long range goals in the lower leagues. The modern game at the highest level is seeing a reduction year-on-year in the number of long shot efforts which is likely analytics driven: https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/long-shot-decline-modern-football . If anything the number of long shot goals in the lower leagues would be higher, as players are more willing to shoot from distance and a lot of teams are set up more 'traditionally'.

This is a good opportunity for me to shamelessly share one of the few bright points in my team's season (not bad for a league 2 player.. ): 

I think that goal in video is more possible to pull of because player got time to make the shot and ball is comfortably resting in front of him. In @thiagoanjovideo player shoots ball from volley with mediocre skills with perfect power and accuracy. Perfect pass to the shooter is not intercepted by the defending team when it flies over them. Why the second defending player didn't jump and intercept?  2 too perfect attacking executions causing frustration. Oh well can't make game to be allways realistic and these have to happen sometimes.

On 17/03/2021 at 13:11, Johnny Ace said:

You'd be rated less than 1. All ones is still much, much better than the average person

27 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You'd be rated less than 1. All ones is still much, much better than the average person

True, I'd fair well at Jumping Reach & Strength but everything else wouldn't even register 

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

True, I'd fair well at Jumping Reach & Strength but everything else wouldn't even register 

I can't remember how far it goes @Jack Joyce will be able to say, but there's a misconception that it's an absolute scale and 1  = average person. The average person is too rubbish to measure up in truth :D

Years ago, I read a wonderful book about non-league football in the north-east - The Far Corner, by Harry Pearson. At one point, he describes watching an amateur match and being impressed by a young player who looked streets ahead of everyone else on the pitch. He mentioned this guy to the fans around him, suggesting that he might be picked up by a scout for a professional club, at which point the fans revealed that said player had been on the books at Newcastle as a youngster and released because he was nowhere near good enough. 

Em 19/03/2021 em 08:53, Jack Joyce disse:

Statistically our number of goals from outside the box is actually a fair bit lower than in real life. We also have less shots from crazy distances/angles than in real life as well.

As has been stated above, it's worth posting in the tactics forums to see if you're potentially leaving that area of the pitch too exposed.

I don't generally agree that you should see less long range goals in the lower leagues. The modern game at the highest level is seeing a reduction year-on-year in the number of long shot efforts which is likely analytics driven: https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/long-shot-decline-modern-football . If anything the number of long shot goals in the lower leagues would be higher, as players are more willing to shoot from distance and a lot of teams are set up more 'traditionally'.

This is a good opportunity for me to shamelessly share one of the few bright points in my team's season (not bad for a league 2 player.. ): 

Sorry bud, but this guys have never scored like that and wont repeat this until he die, I bet. And it is NOTHING like the goals (the insta kicks) and frequency I have seen on my save, the players here are FAR from league 2 level man. Also the title OUTRAGEOUS means that is not common, and you wont see it happens every round 

On FM21 It's 100% a snowbow issue: perfect pass + insta kicks + no reactions, so this happens a lot and increase the statistics for long range goals. I play since 97/98 edition and thats the first time I see this, not normal at all.

Em 19/03/2021 em 11:27, themadsheep2001 disse:

That means 38 yo Adebayo Akinfenwawith with 185cm and 102kg is 4 points faster than average people? Or the former goalie Wayne Shaw, even if he had 1 of pace, he would be faster than average people?

For what I saw on FM20 physical constraints file the speeds are common man based. So, unless speeds (pace/acceleration) work different in comparison with avg people, I dont think 1 is better than avg people, otherwise we would assume all the players in the other world, even the worst 16yo newgen, runs and jumps more than all avg people, that would be werid

1 hour ago, thiagoanjo said:

Sorry bud, but this guys have never scored like that and wont repeat this until he die, I bet. And it is NOTHING like the goals (the insta kicks) and frequency I have seen on my save, the players here are FAR from league 2 level man. Also the title OUTRAGEOUS means that is not common, and you wont see it happens every round 

On FM21 It's 100% a snowbow issue: perfect pass + insta kicks + no reactions, so this happens a lot and increase the statistics for long range goals. I play since 97/98 edition and thats the first time I see this, not normal at all.

That means 38 yo Adebayo Akinfenwawith with 185cm and 102kg is 4 points faster than average people? Or the former goalie Wayne Shaw, even if he had 1 of pace, he would be faster than average people?

For what I saw on FM20 physical constraints file the speeds are common man based. So, unless speeds (pace/acceleration) work different in comparison with avg people, I dont think 1 is better than avg people, otherwise we would assume all the players in the other world, even the worst 16yo newgen, runs and jumps more than all avg people, that would be werid

Johnny and I were talking about the mental and technical elements, which is why I agreed with him he might stack up physical potentially. And even then, physical conditioning in sports still matters. You've tried to pick extremes to make a rule, but akinfenwa can still shift. One is better than the average person and always has been. 

That's aside from your main point which has actually been answered by someone from the match team. So if you're seeing too many long shots as a trend against you considering that information, as he said, take a look what you're doing in that area. Because there isn't a set trend of more long shot goals in game than in real life