Further xG metrics (xGA, xPTS, xA...)

egor_mq

Hello,

I am really grateful to you for adding an xG in the after-game menu. As for me, it was really a great boost to FM and one of the main improvements this year. But I really hope that this is just the beginning, because modern football (as any other sport) relies on this statistic metrics a lot.  So xG and its derivatives can help better understanding of the football game in FM. Here are some metrics that I suggest adding to the next FM. Hope, you really consider this idea. I am sure that plenty of modern fans would be grateful as well.

Moreover, it should be really simple to count the following metrics because all of them are based on the very same xG, which is already being counting after each game. I tried to explain it briefly for those who might not know what do these mean.

FOR TEAMS:

1. Total xG in season
We have xG for every team after every game, it would be very useful to sum it up in season. Total Team xG in season gives us an indication of how many goals a team should've score. Comparing actual goals to Total xG can indicate a team's realization or luck.

2. Total xGA in season (expected goals against)
The number of goals a team should have conceded based on the xG. Comparing missed goals to Total xGA shows whether a team has a bad defense or a bad luck.

3. xPTS (expected points)
The number of points a team is expected to have won based on the expected goals data. Simply put, if every match would've ended according to xG data, how many points would each team have earned? A league table sorted by xPTS shows the real power ranking.

Another attribute is xGD (expected goals difference) which indicates somewhat a general level of playing for each team.

Team xG, xGA, and xPTS can be added to league tables where it is easy to sort and compare different attributes.

FOR PLAYERS:

1. Total xG:
Like for teams, this shows how many goals a player should've score. Comparing actual goals to Total xG can indicate a player's realization or luck.
Another metric is "xG without penalties" (npxG, non-penalty expected goals). Each penalty attempt does not equal 1 xG. If any striker takes a lot of penalty shots, it might distort his xG number.

2. Total xA (expected assists):
The likelihood that a given pass will become a goal assist. This indicates a player's ability to set up scoring chances (without taking in to account the level of the shooter). Right now we don't have enough tools to analyze playmakers. Simple assists number doesn't show the real picture. If we sum up all expected assists for each player, that would upgrade scouting a lot.

3. xG, xA / 90 min
For convenience, for comparing different players from different teams it might be more useful to see these numbers per 90 minutes played.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...