Lower League Defnsive settinga

I've recently started a new game as Farsley in the BSN. After four games we are unbeaten and haven't conceded a single goal yet. However, this is mostly due to the fantastic striker I managed to grab. He is a cut above any other player in the league and have scored 6 goals in 4 games. We mostly have possesion and create a fair few CCC's, but fail to keep our opponents from getting shots in. Most often they get chances through quick, precise clearances from their defenders or their keeper which leads to one on ones and blistering long shots.

I struggle to defend well against these types of chances and don't really know what to do. I've unticked man marking for all defenders but that doesn't seem to help. I tell the midfielders to close down a bit more to cut down on the amount of long shots (every opponent seems to have at least 18 in long shots!), but that haven't helped either. They usually hit the woodwork twice per game and it is just a matter of time before we start conceding. Any ideas how to counter 1) lax marking on long precision passes from the opposition 2) long shots from their mids?

1) Long passes from GK/Defence: Use Opponents Instructions to close down GK and defence ('always') - I also set my GK to close down at normal/high level. This usually takes away the problem. The OI makes the passing more hurried and bad, whilst the GK closing down, makes the striker make worse finishing.

2) Even with high closing down, the level of the players makes them stand off. Had the same problem, until I started using OI closing down always and show on weaker foot on the midfielders that is the problem (usually the left one in a 442). Didnt take it away totally, but made it less of a problem.

1) Long passes from GK/Defence: Use Opponents Instructions to close down GK and defence ('always') - I also set my GK to close down at normal/high level. This usually takes away the problem. The OI makes the passing more hurried and bad, whilst the GK closing down, makes the striker make worse finishing.

2) Even with high closing down, the level of the players makes them stand off. Had the same problem, until I started using OI closing down always and show on weaker foot on the midfielders that is the problem (usually the left one in a 442). Didnt take it away totally, but made it less of a problem.

Thanks mate! I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Archived