Dealing with high pressing, hard tackling teams

Hi,

When i play as a high quality team against inferior opposition, their tactic is often to close down all over the pitch and basically try to kick me off the park. I'm seeing my players with little or no space, and generally being rushed into making mistakes. So far I haven't been able to find a decent way of dealing with this - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi,

When i play as a high quality team against inferior opposition, their tactic is often to close down all over the pitch and basically try to kick me off the park. I'm seeing my players with little or no space, and generally being rushed into making mistakes. So far I haven't been able to find a decent way of dealing with this - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Slowest tempo, shortest passing, widest width settings. Lots of forward runs, through balls, and get any strong strikers/wingers to hold up the ball. Defence line pushed up too.

Slowest tempo, shortest passing, widest width settings. Lots of forward runs, through balls, and get any strong strikers/wingers to hold up the ball. Defence line pushed up too.

Wouldnt recommend doing this. If you widen play AND shorten passing then your players will end up with no one to pass to. Attacking football is quick/direct and wide. Upping CF may help players find space as will the odd free role (dont overdo it tho). Be careful with FWR often on too many players as they tend to race into space ahead of play a bit too quickly leaving the ball carrier with no-one to pass too. If you have good dribblers (wingers/fullbacks) then RWB often may be a better option. Good luck

DEEPER DEFENSIVE LINE

If your defenders are decent on the ball and able to pass it, this is what I would do. If your opponents are closing you down, try to lure them out of their own half.

My recommendations/preference is high tempo(lowest) as well. This will hopefully prevent one of your defenders from dwelling to long on the ball. Also your width should be increased. This will increase the distance your defenders are from the opponents player closing them down. Also increasing width will increase the chance for your team to create space for themselves further up the pitch.

When playing like this you are playing a possession-orientated type of football, your team should keep hold of the ball untill an opening arrives. Therefore none of your defenders should have through ball set to mixed/often.

Loosing the ball when playing like this could be lethal to your scoreline.

Archived