Custom tournament questions.

EnigMattic1

I want to create a pre season tournament that has entry requirements.

Basically, I want to have the winners of the top league in England, Scotland and Wales qualify automatically, but have the winners from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland play each other for the final spot. Is this possible? 

If it isn't possible, would a league run easily enough with just 5 teams in it? 

Also, is there any way to get the teams from England and Scotland to treat is as less important due to the fact that it is, basically, a friendly competition? 

Yes, yes and sort of. 

You could have the NI and ROI winner play each other in a 'Qualifying round' initial stage, with the winner qualifying for the group stage with the other three clubs.

You can also have a group of 5 teams, that's fine. 

Depending on the reputation you give the tournament, EPL teams are likely to see it as less important as relatively for them, it's a low reputation tournament. For example a reputation of 100 would be low for an EPL club but very high / important for a Welsh or Irish club. Generally though, clubs don't have much interest in friendly tournaments anyway and the crowds reflect that.

45 minutes ago, L55DS said:

Yes, yes and sort of. 

You could have the NI and ROI winner play each other in a 'Qualifying round' initial stage, with the winner qualifying for the group stage with the other three clubs.

You can also have a group of 5 teams, that's fine. 

Depending on the reputation you give the tournament, EPL teams are likely to see it as less important as relatively for them, it's a low reputation tournament. For example a reputation of 100 would be low for an EPL club but very high / important for a Welsh or Irish club. Generally though, clubs don't have much interest in friendly tournaments anyway and the crowds reflect that.

So, should I have a mini league of sorts, consisting of all 5 teams, and a reputation of 100, that would increase the chances of EPL clubs playing a young side for example? 

And is it difficult to set it up to just include the winner from each country? 

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So, should I have a mini league of sorts, consisting of all 5 teams, and a reputation of 100, that would increase the chances of EPL clubs playing a young side for example? 

And is it difficult to set it up to just include the winner from each country? 

I reckon even less, make the reputation 50 or so, which is still a reasonable level for Welsh and Irish clubs but not that important for English and Scottish ones. Premier League sides will still field a strong squad though by default, as they do in most friendlies. If you want a more even contest, set the Premier League and Scottish premiership sides to use their U23 team under 'team type', rather than their senior squad. 

It should be quite simple, under teams just add 'Last winner of competition' for each domestic league.

I suggest taking a look at this file which includes similar pre season competitions. This can be helpful sometimes to understand how it's done, or you can simply replace one of the tournaments in that database with your own teams and format. 

https://sortitoutsi.net/content/52333/pre-season-competitions-v1