New save with Lyon - how is my tactic?

So, I decided to start a new save with Lyon, and I've made this tactic. Help is welcome

In Possession: Shorter passing, PooD, Higher Tempo

In Transition: Counter Press

Out of Possession: High DL, More Urgent, Use Offside Trap

Roles and Duties:

SK (SU)

WB (SU) BPD (DE) CD (DE) FB (SU)

HB  (DE)                      VOL (AT)

AP (SU)

IW (SU)            DLF (AT)            W (AT)

If anyone sees flaws, I'd be more then happy to take any advice on board, thanks 🙂

It would be better if you tell us how your tactic is imo? Are you observing any problems with it? At the very least you should be mentioning what the idea is behind the tactic and then comments can be made about that. Otherwise it'd be someone else's creation and style and not yours.

It's difficult to be specific about it otherwise. If there's a solid idea behind it, best to see how it goes and pay attention to any potential problems. :thup:

I agree with @HUNT3R that you should discuss how you are trying to play, etc. so we know how to think about the formation, roles, and duties.

But, just a couple of quick things:

1. What is your mentality? Makes a huge difference to how I think about 'higher tempo', etc. (and, really, everything, but especially a TI like 'higher tempo)
  2. I have not played a 4-2-3-1 with 2DMs, but I thought I recall people discussing that HBs don't really behave properly when given a partner. They want to drop between the 2 centerbacks so they can push them wide. That requires (or at least works best) being centrally located. So, I am not sure if it is truly problematic to use a HB as you do, but what are you seeing?
  3. All your attack seems to come from the left. A Winger and SV on attack. On the other side it is all support players. Perhaps that is by design? Are you attempting to build up on the right while your W and SV (and DLF to a lesser extent) drive forward, hopefully having lots of space as you suck the opposition to your right? If so, I still think you need a bit more bite on the right. But also you may want to think about players who can exploit that overload properly - the AP will try to hit the crossfield ball, but perhaps you need a player further back as well - the HB or the WB. If either have a PPM to switch ball or attempt risky passes, that'll help. Or you can encourage it via PIs

26 minutes ago, ozilthegunner said:

I agree with @HUNT3R that you should discuss how you are trying to play, etc. so we know how to think about the formation, roles, and duties.

But, just a couple of quick things:

1. What is your mentality? Makes a huge difference to how I think about 'higher tempo', etc. (and, really, everything, but especially a TI like 'higher tempo)
  2. I have not played a 4-2-3-1 with 2DMs, but I thought I recall people discussing that HBs don't really behave properly when given a partner. They want to drop between the 2 centerbacks so they can push them wide. That requires (or at least works best) being centrally located. So, I am not sure if it is truly problematic to use a HB as you do, but what are you seeing?
  3. All your attack seems to come from the left. A Winger and SV on attack. On the other side it is all support players. Perhaps that is by design? Are you attempting to build up on the right while your W and SV (and DLF to a lesser extent) drive forward, hopefully having lots of space as you suck the opposition to your right? If so, I still think you need a bit more bite on the right. But also you may want to think about players who can exploit that overload properly - the AP will try to hit the crossfield ball, but perhaps you need a player further back as well - the HB or the WB. If either have a PPM to switch ball or attempt risky passes, that'll help. Or you can encourage it via PIs

Thanks for the help 👍

1. I play with a positive mentality, sorry I should've mentioned that in the original post.

2. Well I'm just finishing pre season right now, i haven't really noticed much with my HB but I'll pay attention to the matches. Oh and it's a 4-2DM-1-3, I should've made it look a bit clearer. 

3. Yeah, that's the general idea of the tactic, try to overload one side and then free up space on the other. I haven't checked all of the PPM'S, but if none of the players have such, I'll do PI'S, thanks

59 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It would be better if you tell us how your tactic is imo? Are you observing any problems with it? At the very least you should be mentioning what the idea is behind the tactic and then comments can be made about that. Otherwise it'd be someone else's creation and style and not yours.

It's difficult to be specific about it otherwise. If there's a solid idea behind it, best to see how it goes and pay attention to any potential problems. :thup:

Thank you @HUNT3R 🙂

Right now I'm only just finishing pre season, as I mentioned above, but I just came and posted to see if there was any flaw with the set up so I can tweak for when the Ligue 1 season starts 👍

I'm currently using a DM pairing and also tried HB together with SVs, what I think is, that the HB stays to deep while attacking, meaning it's harder to recycle posession in some cases, an Anchorman seems to push up a little bit higher in these situations. This doesn't mean, that he is roaming very often (obv. cause of Hold Position) but if there is a need to recycle posession and set up a new attack he comes to help the SVs.