New 2024/25 Champions League Format - League Fixture Help

Carlito85

Is it possible to set it so all teams play 10 games against 5 specific teams each, even though there will be 36 in the league itself?

Also with the options available in the editor would it be easier to get this working by using a League stage, or bundling all 36 teams into 1 Group stage?

You could check out the Brazilian state championship. It seems they follow a similar style. It might give pointers. An NCAA edit from a few years back had also a sort of setup that could help here. I think it was from FM18.

47 minutes ago, Wolf_pd said:

You could check out the Brazilian state championship. It seems they follow a similar style. It might give pointers. An NCAA edit from a few years back had also a sort of setup that could help here. I think it was from FM18.

I'll have a look around for that, thanks a lot.

2 ways of doing this as far as I know.

Rapcb's Pre-season friendlies pack here includes one of the ways which the International Champions Cup currently uses. Essentially, there's 3 groups of 4 teams with 1 round of fixtures, in a hidden stage 1, with all results applied to an overall league in stage 0. Take a look- you could do exactly this to have each team play set opponents of various abilities using seeding.

https://sortitoutsi.net/content/52333/pre-season-competitions-v1

The second way is more flexible, but more random. You can set up a league with however many teams and have each team play any number of matches against other teams (provided both the number of matches and number of teams are even numbers). I've edited the PSF file below which contains both ways of doing it- the International Champions Cup and my custom tournament, the Arabian Super Cup which uses the second method. This is a league of 12 in which all teams play 4 matches against other clubs (24 matches total) and the top 2 progress to a final. Take a look at this too- it's all done inside a single stage but the fixtures are random I believe so it's possible that some clubs will only face easier opposition and other face only the best teams in their matches.  

UNION_2.1_PSF.fmf

Edited by L55DS

1 hour ago, L55DS said:

Rapcb's Pre-season friendlies pack here includes one of the ways which the International Champions Cup currently uses. Essentially, there's 3 groups of 4 teams with 1 round of fixtures, in a hidden stage 1, with all results applied to an overall league in stage 0. Take a look- you could do exactly this to have each team play set opponents of various abilities using seeding.

The second way is more flexible, but more random. You can set up a league with however many teams and have each team play any number of matches against other teams (provided both the number of matches and number of teams are even numbers). I've edited the PSF file below which contains both ways of doing it- the International Champions Cup and my custom tournament, the Arabian Super Cup which uses the second method. This is a league of 12 in which all teams play 4 matches against other clubs (24 matches total) and the top 2 progress to a final. Take a look at this too- it's all done inside a single stage but the fixtures are random I believe so it's possible that some clubs will only face easier opposition and other face only the best teams in their matches.  

UNION_2.1_PSF.fmf 33.53 kB · 0 downloads

That's excellent mate, thanks a lot. I'll take a look at this later on and see what I can get from it.

On 01/05/2021 at 17:41, L55DS said:

UNION_2.1_PSF.fmf 33.53 kB · 1 download

I just read up on the new Champions League rules and it actually states that each team will play 10 games (5 home and 5 away) against 10 different teams. I was under the impression it would be teams playing 2 rounds of 5 games against the same 5 teams. With the second way being more random does this mean that teams may play more games at home or away or is it possible to set it so they play 5 home and 5 away?

1 hour ago, Carlito85 said:

I just read up on the new Champions League rules and it actually states that each team will play 10 games (5 home and 5 away) against 10 different teams. I was under the impression it would be teams playing 2 rounds of 5 games against the same 5 teams. With the second way being more random does this mean that teams may play more games at home or away or is it possible to set it so they play 5 home and 5 away?

Good question- this will require some testing. Perhaps a Custom Fixture Plan could achieve this?

17 minutes ago, L55DS said:

Good question- this will require some testing. Perhaps a Custom Fixture Plan could achieve this?

Possibly yeah. I've never used fixture plans before, I just tend to do the dates individually but it's definitely worth a try.

2 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

Possibly yeah. I've never used fixture plans before, I just tend to do the dates individually but it's definitely worth a try.

Just seen you have a new UEFA Revival pack out so I'll definitely take a look at that this week.

Someone has commented on it asking about compatibility with my Club World Cup file on Sortitoutsi. I'll look into that this week, that's down to me!

31 minutes ago, L55DS said:

Just seen you have a new UEFA Revival pack out so I'll definitely take a look at that this week.

Someone has commented on it asking about compatibility with my Club World Cup file on Sortitoutsi. I'll look into that this week, that's down to me!

Regarding the Club World Cup it should be compatible with my 50 UEFA files as the UEFA competitions are already in the database by default. The only thing I don't think it would work with is the CONCACAF-CONMEBOL merger as I've had trouble getting my own version of the Club World Cup to work with it over the last couple of years.

Basically I think the CWC has trouble grabbing those teams because the CC merger comps were created from scratch in a separate file so it may be that the IDs don't match up or something. Granted I haven't tried it yet this year so hopefully it works now.

Edited by Carlito85

Sent PM. If the CC merger comps were all new competitions then hard to make cross-compatible, but you could instead amend any existing competition for the CWC to pick teams from. That might be adjusting the existing North American Champions League, for example, but you could also pick any random extinct tournament to use- you just need it for it's ID. For example, create your joint CONAFAC/CONMEBOL Champions League from the extinct NA Champions League (which already has no history or in-game record). Then I can set the CWC to select the winner of the NA Champions League, but with both databases loaded it will pick the CONAFAC/CONMEBOL Champions League winner. 

image.png.e01ae719c79e34bd8fc2ed99673a66ff.png

Edited by L55DS

@L55DS @Wolf_pd

I've got a version of the new Champions League running where the 36 teams are divided into 6 groups of 6 and those results are then processed into a league table. The top 8 qualify for the Round Of 16 and 9th - 24th qualify for the Second Phase Playoff. Problem is I can't get the Second Phase Playoff to start and no matter how far I holiday forward it just gets stuck on the league table. I tried sticking to the letter with the rules when copying from another file and when that didn't work I just started going rogue with it, throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck lol.

I had the same problem with file #37 last year and got some help with it, but I don't know what was done to get it working so I still have no knowledge on processing results properly. Any ideas?

UEFA Revival 52.fmf

On 01/05/2021 at 17:41, L55DS said:

UNION_2.1_PSF.fmf 33.53 kB · 3 downloads

Some quality set up's with this and i've learned a lot more about the advanced editor 

1 hour ago, Carlito85 said:

@L55DS @Wolf_pd

I've got a version of the new Champions League running where the 36 teams are divided into 6 groups of 6 and those results are then processed into a league table. The top 8 qualify for the Round Of 16 and 9th - 24th qualify for the Second Phase Playoff. Problem is I can't get the Second Phase Playoff to start and no matter how far I holiday forward it just gets stuck on the league table. I tried sticking to the letter with the rules when copying from another file and when that didn't work I just started going rogue with it, throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck lol.

I had the same problem with file #37 last year and got some help with it, but I don't know what was done to get it working so I still have no knowledge on processing results properly. Any ideas?

UEFA Revival 52.fmf 244.69 kB · 0 downloads

Hmm, this takes some studying.

3 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Some quality set up's with this and i've learned a lot more about the advanced editor 

I think it's a great way of learning and a great base to use for edits of your own; I certainly learnt a lot by studying the files of Carlito, Rabcp, Krlenjushka, Kingrobbo, ect. 

50 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

It's a stubborn one lol I tried everything I could think of off the top of my head but no joy so far.

Can have a proper look tomorrow but how about this?

image.png.ab62dedeefa64a6fae8b56874bc09015.png

4 hours ago, L55DS said:

I think it's a great way of learning and a great base to use for edits of your own; I certainly learnt a lot by studying the files of Carlito, Rabcp, Krlenjushka, Kingrobbo, ect. 

Can have a proper look tomorrow but how about this?

image.png.ab62dedeefa64a6fae8b56874bc09015.png

Can't believe I didn't think of that lol. Gonna test it now :thup:

EDIT: No luck with that mate. I also tried "Get League Stage Teams" and "Get League Stage Teams (In Final Positions)" and those didn't work either.

Edited by Carlito85

Thought I'd made progress with this by getting the next round to schedule but now I'm stuck with the problem of it grabbing the wrong teams. I have no idea why it's doing it considering the league table has colour coding for positions 1-8 and colour coding for 9th - 24th. Every instruction I've threw at it just won't work :confused:

19 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

Thought I'd made progress with this by getting the next round to schedule but now I'm stuck with the problem of it grabbing the wrong teams. I have no idea why it's doing it considering the league table has colour coding for positions 1-8 and colour coding for 9th - 24th. Every instruction I've threw at it just won't work :confused:

Give this a go:

image.thumb.png.34dd081fa61f644da7c0e82ac0cb2ab2.png

These are selected after the main qualification spaces, and I'm using it here to select the best 2nd place team from 3 groups. However it should work in your set up to select the next best 8 teams after the first 4? have qualified. Set the league fate as different (set as promotion or top playoff) then in the next stage select the 8 teams with that fate. 

If not, upload the file here and I'll have a look. 

2 hours ago, L55DS said:

Give this a go:

image.thumb.png.34dd081fa61f644da7c0e82ac0cb2ab2.png

These are selected after the main qualification spaces, and I'm using it here to select the best 2nd place team from 3 groups. However it should work in your set up to select the next best 8 teams after the first 4? have qualified. Set the league fate as different (set as promotion or top playoff) then in the next stage select the 8 teams with that fate. 

If not, upload the file here and I'll have a look. 

Will give that a shot, cheers bud.