4-2-4 Help needed

20210505195341_1.thumb.jpg.e147a5f597fefc0fbb5e5d5b4f8aab0c.jpgI have been using this tactic to climb from the lower leagues to the championship, in england . I have been trying to become more solid defensivly but the changes i made to defend mady my offense useless.So i would be thankful for tips and suggestions.

20210505195345_1.jpg

20210505195348_1.jpg

20210505195407_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Hastur25 said:

20210505195341_1.thumb.jpg.e147a5f597fefc0fbb5e5d5b4f8aab0c.jpgI have been using this tactic to climb from the lower leagues to the championship, in england . I have been trying to become more solid defensivly but the changes i made to defend mady my offense useless.So i would be thankful for tips and suggestions.

20210505195345_1.jpg

20210505195348_1.jpg

20210505195407_1.jpg

Problems here:

- extremely urgent pressing and a low DL and LOE in a formation with 4 up top

- your midfield pair is extremely aggressive, nobody there is holding

- why pass into space?

- SK on attack is strange, would drop it to defend or support

- 2 bpd's playing hollywood passes in a seemingly defensive tactic

- fb on support is too conservative to support his IW partner frequently

There are a couple more, but these stand out for me.

I'd make your formation a 4-4-2 or something bottom heavy and defense first if you want to keep the style

You are trying to play a defensive style of football with:

- an extremely vulnerable left flank, where the fullback is virtually left to his own devices when it comes to defending

- a very top-heavy formation that is far more suited for aggressive attack-minded styles

- lower than optimal compactness, especially for this kind of formation

I have been using t

12 hours ago, YLSFM00 said:

Problems here:

- extremely urgent pressing and a low DL and LOE in a formation with 4 up top

- your midfield pair is extremely aggressive, nobody there is holding

- why pass into space?

- SK on attack is strange, would drop it to defend or support

- 2 bpd's playing hollywood passes in a seemingly defensive tactic

- fb on support is too conservative to support his IW partner frequently

There are a couple more, but these stand out for me.

I'd make your formation a 4-4-2 or something bottom heavy and defense first if you want to keep the style

i used to play this tactic as a 4-4-2 in the fourth tier , but the offensiv output became so much better after the change to the 4-2-4 at the time it seemed like a more effective shape. I use pass into space to encourage my players to play more balls over the top, but I am relatively new to fm so I am not sure this doing what i thought it does. SK on attack same as the Pass into Space to make my Team Counter faster and more aggresively.BPD i chose them to initiate counterattacks as fast as possible.

This is supposed to be a counter tactic, in theory what i am trying to do is draw the opposing team in and the hit them on the counter .Thanks for the suggestions i will try them out and see how it goes

12 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You are trying to play a defensive style of football with:

- an extremely vulnerable left flank, where the fullback is virtually left to his own devices when it comes to defending

- a very top-heavy formation that is far more suited for aggressive attack-minded styles

- lower than optimal compactness, especially for this kind of formation

-So maybe switch the AP and BWM?

-well i am trying to hit them on the break

-so drop the LOEfurther ?

thanks for the pointers

1 hour ago, Hastur25 said:

-So maybe switch the AP and BWM?

No. Because you don't need the AP in central midfield in this kind of tactic, much less on attack duty. 

well i am trying to hit them on the break

That has nothing to do with a top-heavy formation as such. In fact, the regular 442 is a lot more suitable for such style (counter-attacking football looking to draw the opposition into their half and then hit them on the break quickly). But can work only if roles, duties and instructions are properly set up. 

-so drop the LOEfurther ?

No. The setup of roles and duties is the first thing that needs to be sorted out in any tactic, because it is the most important tactical element.