Question about mentality and instructions

When is it advised to raise the mentality rather than increase passing directness, tempo, pressing urgency etc? 

And same goes for be more expressive, why should I use BME when I can increase passing directness, tempo? 

30 minutes ago, mouli said:

When is it advised to raise the mentality rather than increase passing directness, tempo, pressing urgency etc? 

Well, mentality does mange the risks your players are willing to take overall, which has effect to almost all instructions at a time. For example if you are looking for a more aggressive defending and dynamic attacking style of football, you can Pick a positive or attacking mentality as a starting point as that’s the style of football attacking mentality is based on.

mentality also has a huge impact on how fast your players are moving up the pitch.

instructions on the other hand are meant to further define your style to your likings.

But keep in mind, there are many other factor to look for when creating a tactic, like roles, duties, formation... Everything has to fit each other.

39 minutes ago, mouli said:

And same goes for be more expressive, why should I use BME when I can increase passing directness, tempo?

Be more expressive has nothing to do with tempo or passing directness. BME will allow your players to roam from position and encourages them to play with more flair and vision to be less predictable. All that though is also part of higher mentalities already, just keep that in mind.

52 minutes ago, mouli said:

I find that if you increase the TIs' it's best to DECREASE the mentality, otherwise you double up on instructions and find yourself too extreme. Same with roles. I've gone to 4 attacking roles so decreased my mentality. I went to counter-pressing, so decreased pressing intensity. I'm also on counter-attack, so I decreased tempo and passing length - a counter will result in quick tempo and long balls/throughballs so when not counter attacking mode, short passes help retain possession. In a counter-attack the mentality shoots up for your strikers and midfielders, so I don't want my overall mentality to be attacking.