EURO 2020(1?) football forum average draft

GunmaN1905

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

In these things there's usually a window, maybe 8 hours but during the night (UK) the timer isn't ticking. 

But of course, up to Gunman to decide, just that's how it usually works. 

Good to know. Thanks. 8 hours wouldn't be a problem. 

2 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Good to know. Thanks. 8 hours wouldn't be a problem. 

Further to my previous post there's nothing stopping you from picking inside that window btw, just that the clock isn't ticking on you to make a pick. 

Edited by craigcwwe

7 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

There's nothing stopping you from picking inside that window btw, just that the clock is ticking on you to make a pick. 

I know. Just wanted to ensure the time limit wouldn't cause problems overnight (for me). 8 hours is more than enough margin. 

Edited by XuluBak

Ok now we have 26 people.

To make the format easier, it's going to be a 32 team tournament, I'm sure we can find 6 more until Sunday. :D

Usual knockout system.

26 players, need 6 more:

Marius_R
MaxeyN17
adhikapp
Darius1998
managerdude_66
Haguey
Yuko
Harryseaess
Sano
sjg11
Butts
Barry Cartman
PaulHartman71
Citizen Kane
Weezer
SRL88
bestbrother
trueblue.85
Scott1892
Crispypaul
XuluBak
craigcwwe
Kawee
Hazzaj
Baptista_8
Jorg

Edited by GunmaN1905

Yikes 32 is a bit much innit? 352 players to draft... I'd probably run out of ideas by the time we get to round 5, and the tournament might be long done before this draft finishes :D

Think 24 is the number. Sorry for guys #25 & #26 but theres gotta be a cut off

36 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Yikes 32 is a bit much innit? 352 players to draft... I'd probably run out of ideas by the time we get to round 5, and the tournament might be long done before this draft finishes :D

Think 24 is the number. Sorry for guys #25 & #26 but theres gotta be a cut off

That's why it's called average draft. :brock:

As for the draft process, it would take too long for 32 people to pick just one player per round, so it's going to be 2 players per round, except for the first round where it's just usual 1 player.

11 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Whoever goes at the beginning will find all of their choices taken by the time it gets back to them. :D

It has to be balanced out since there are more players.

If it was just 1 player per round, then top10 picks would have huge advantage to get top players.

But like this they can get their Cristiano or Crujiff, but then by the time it's back to them, others already have 3 players.

32 minutes ago, Sano said:

I've made a 140 player shortlist. I wonder if that's going to suffice :D

Might not last 5 rounds :D 

Im hoping there’s gonna be a lot of people picking players from the 80s and 90s as my knowledge on players doesn’t go much further back than 96 :D 

Another problem is that the first editions (until 1980) were played with only 4 teams so teams from that era all count as semi finalists :D

Edited by Sano

3 minutes ago, Sano said:

Another problem is that the first editions (until 1980) were played with only 4 teams so they all count as semi finalists :D

:onmehead:

Those were like final-four tournaments, quarters and 8x4 groups were still played go get to semi-finals.

For tournaments before 1980, you can pick players from any of 32 teams participating in groups that didn't advance to semis.

19 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

:onmehead:

Those were like final-four tournaments, quarters and 8x4 groups were still played go get to semi-finals.

For tournaments before 1980, you can pick players from any of 32 teams participating in groups that didn't advance to semis.

You're ruining the challenge :(

If you want to enhance the selection, I'd put it to quarters and on. 

We had 32 FAs, 8 making it sounds ok when 50something FAs sent 16 teams and now 24. 

15 minutes ago, Yuko said:

You're ruining the challenge :(

If you want to enhance the selection, I'd put it to quarters and on. 

We had 32 FAs, 8 making it sounds ok when 50something FAs sent 16 teams and now 24. 

I don't think it's that harsh combined with other rules.

But we can make it quarter finals, because up until '96 it was just 8 teams.

Which would make it only players who appeared in top8 up until 1996. With 2 winners and 3 more semi-finalists.

1 hour ago, Marius_R said:

By the time we're at the final rounds of the pick, we'll fight each other for Latvian, Slovenian and C. I. S. players. :lol:

Tournament will be over, that's for sure :p 

1 hour ago, Vynal Seven said:

Organiser player naming? What a shambles!

He's still searching for his "officially banish Vynal Seven from the topic" button. :brock:

Edited by Marius_R

29 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

He's still searching for his "officially banish Vynal Seven from the topic" button. :brock:

Even if he could, the backlash from the masses would be on European SuperLeague proportions.

Vynal throwing shade and mocking from the sidelines is a draft tradition that transcends the authority of any draft organiser. 

Go on then I’ll find some obscure theme to help pick 11 donkeys again as you can’t get numbers from ‘serious’ contenders.

Might need to read the rules a few dozen more times first though 

The problem we have with Euros that had 4 teams is that there is no actual squad for the quarter finalists that failed to reach it. And there's not that much data about the lineups and bench guys from those two games either. 

Isn't best to just use those 4 teams? @GunmaN1905

Maybe you can tweak the rules: 2 winners, 2 finalists, 2 semi-finalists and 5 others. Something like that, so that older generations aren't penalized as much. 

You probably already have 3 lineups ready. :lol:

Looking at these historic tournaments now, it's too much of a chore to find who played when.

But your suggestion is more or less the same as mine for final phases, just 1 extra semi-finalist.

So I think we can go with this:

Team rules:

1 player per nation

2 winners and 3 more semi-finalists

For tournaments before 1980, you can select any player from nations that appeared in quarter finals since there are no official squad lists. (wiki pages have quarter-finals nations listed for 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976)
For 1980 and after, you can select players from 23 man squads for those tournaments.

Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, USSR:
Picking a player from before the split excludes his primary nation and the union country.

As I mentioned already, you can for example pick Blokhin, which would fill your USSR and Ukraine spots, but you could still pick someone from post-split Russia like Arshavin.

Draft rules:

Usual snake format draft, except that since there are more teams, we need to go faster.
First round will be usual 1 player per team, then we switch to two players per round.

4h window, usual 8am-10pm times and since I want to be impartial, anyone who breaks the rules will have his player picked by the next player in draft. So you're at their mercy. They can pick Cristiano for you, or they can waste your England slot on Kieron Dyer. :D

During knockouts, winners can take 2 players from the team they beat, but only if they still comply with the rules.

Since craig dropped, we're still at 29. Draft will start tomorrow afternoon when I'm done with stuff I need to do for the day.
If we get 32 players by then, great. If not, I have an idea.

Edited by GunmaN1905

21 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

anyone who breaks the rules will have his player picked by the next player in draft. So you're at their mercy. They can pick Cristiano for you, or they can waste your England slot on Kieron Dyer. :D

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

This is so complicated and is going to be a shambles and I can't wait.

Yeah, it seems easier to understand the MLS salary/draft/transfer rules.

5 hours ago, Haguey said:

This is so complicated and is going to be a shambles and I can't wait.

It seems so complicated I’ve not even got a shortlist or anything :D 

Just going to wing it as would take an age to work out who’s won it, got to a Semi etc just going to double check before I make each pick 

Since craig bottled it, we have 29 players so far.

Marius_R
MaxeyN17
adhikapp
Darius1998
managerdude_66
Haguey
Yuko
Harryseaess
Sano
sjg11
Butts
Barry Cartman
PaulHartman71
Citizen Kane
Weezer
SRL88
bestbrother
trueblue.85
Scott1892
Crispypaul
XuluBak
Kawee
Hazzaj
Baptista_8
Jorg
The Golden Boy
grff
SouthCoastRed
Muzzza

I'm going to start the draft tomorrow afternoon when I'm done for the day.
Will clarify the rules once more and will find a format so everyone can play.