Pitch size, which to pick for what styles?

If you are one of the better teams of your league, you will most likely face opponents that are set up more defensively. To make it easier for your attacking players to break through, a larger pitch comes in handy, as space is needed.

The downside of a larger pitch is, that it’s harder to defend as more space is given for the attacking team. So if you rely on your defense, being a weaker team of your league, it might be more easy to defend efficiently on a smaller pitch.

I would recommend picking a pitchsize, that’s fitting your desired style of play and plays towards your strengths compared to the other teams of your league.

5 hours ago, CARRERA said:

I would recommend picking a pitchsize, that’s fitting your desired style of play and plays towards your strengths compared to the other teams of your league.

This. I start careers in the lower leagues with academy kids. They lack stamina, skill, everything. Therefore, I want the pitch to be minimum dimensions. Later, their physicals might be stronger - they're fast and can endure, but still lack the technicals. Then I want a longer pitch to pump long balls. Once their technicals and mentals outdo their league rivals, I'll ask for a bigger pitch.

Larger size if your team is better than the league average, but smaller size if you are fighting relegation. More specifically, if your tactics rely on wingers, then, of course, pick larger. 

In old FM versions, there were more versions (more narrow, longer, smaller, larger, largest, etc.), but all those options disappeared. I wonder if it reflects new rules IRL?...

This is one of the many areas of the game I haven't even touched.... Is there a way to see what the size of the field is when you're playing an opponent? I don't think I've noticed it, but could have clearly missed it. 

On 20/05/2021 at 19:05, Grifty said:

I can honestly say I have never even looked to see what alternative pitch sizes are available to.

It may be an option only if your club owns the stadium. In pre-season the groundsman asks you if you want to alter the pitch dimensions and gives you a few options.

34 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

It may be an option only if your club owns the stadium. In pre-season the groundsman asks you if you want to alter the pitch dimensions and gives you a few options.

I've seen it, but never even entertained the idea of changing the pitch size.