The Scotland Thread

Sned

17 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Win and a clean sheet.. no knocks? All positives with a week to go

So BB, Scotland v England - who gets your support? (he asked in the Scotland thread!).

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hairycull said:

What happened to McTominay at CB? He has played there for all of Clarkes games except 1 or 2 games.

Hendry has done a really good job and I fully expect him to be one of the CB's.

Hendry has looked good, I wonder if he's another David Bates though, disappears again after a while. I hope not. 

With McTominay, I don't think he'll be used in that defensive position again while Tierney is doing the same job on the left side, having 2 of your 3 centre backs pushing forward all the time seems a bit brazen for Scotland.

Edited by Gary_Parker

1 hour ago, Snedhead said:

In usual circumstances, I do understand why you aren't allowed to bring in any food/drink to a game, but in this situation why on earth are you not allowed to bring in anything with you? I suppose they'd argue that people would 'smuggle' alcohol in, but why not allow food at least to go with the free water being distributed? Absolute madness to expect people to sit in a ground for up to 3 hours pre-game, then during the match and half-time, and not being allowed to eat anything. Shambles.

I think it's come out that they might allow some kind of food in, but it's all very vague at the moment.  It's more the drink I'd worry about.  "free water" is all well and good, but I think it's an absolute certainty that that will run out, because there'll be some degree of organisation on the SFA side, and...well, you know.

It's just a baffling decision all round.  Every aspect of visiting a concession stand is currently allowed elsewhere.  They tried to say that it was down to queueing...I mean, that was something we managed to work out in the first week of the pandemic when the supermarkets felt like Camp Colditz.  

4 hours ago, Jorg said:

I just came in to post this Steve.  He makes the game look so easy!  A midfield three of him, McTominay and McGinn looks like the way to go.  Dykes and Adams up top.  Our weakness does look like the RWB spot as well as the CBs.  O'Donnell probably deserves to start and while Patterson looked good at times last night he is not convincing defensively.  In saying that, Patterson was playing as part of a four last night so he would have more cover as part of a five.

I would start Marshall as GK as well.

Would rather start Paterson over O'Donnell but can understand why Clarke will choose O'Donnell. 

21 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Latest Jocks GIFs | Gfycat

...is the right answer...surely!!

I can only give one greenie but welcome to the world of mayhem and unrealistic expectations

2 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

...is the right answer...surely!!

I can only give one greenie but welcome to the world of mayhem and unrealistic expectations

Its all smiles for me... straight into a big tournament.... I can only see good things :D

I dont know of any disappointment.

13 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

Get these ***** playing outside the Czech hotel early on Monday morning :D 

To be honest that would probably get them pumped up!

I think something like Susan Boyle would be a better option! Get them tired and bored.

14 hours ago, bigmarsh said:

Good night all, sleep well, buzzing 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💤

This is brilliant!!!!

I'm genuinely nervous about today!  I'm watching it from home because I made a mistake with work.  I arranged to go into the local school first thing tomorrow morning to run a workshop, I did it weeks ago not even thinking about the game!  I still get to watch it but I just won't be in the pub.  I will make up for that on Friday night though!  :)

I think the boys will do us proud today and get us off to a flier!

25 minutes ago, Jorg said:

I'm genuinely nervous about today!  I'm watching it from home because I made a mistake with work.  I arranged to go into the local school first thing tomorrow morning to run a workshop, I did it weeks ago not even thinking about the game!  I still get to watch it but I just won't be in the pub.  I will make up for that on Friday night though!  :)

I think the boys will do us proud today and get us off to a flier!

Last time we played in a finals I was fighting for my life in Hospital aged 5 after a freak accident. 

I’m even pacing up and down the house waiting for this to start. 

2 minutes ago, Jorg said:

Wow.  A few surprises there for me.  Not quite sure how Christie has made it in!  

I guess it was between him and Adams. Christie will track back more and has a bigger work effort than Adams so I suspect thats why hes playing.

KT not playing is a huge blow.

Edited by Hairycull

Was emotional this morning while working and sneaking looks on social media seeing the video the SFA put out and the wee mans story time.

Since I’ve finished and put the kilt on I’m nervous but still looking forward to it.

I’m not too concerned with the line up other than KT missing, I think we’ll do ok. Not gunna make predictions but I think we’ll do ok.

Well, you’s we’re right. We went too defensive. Think we all forgot Scotland’s record at finals. We were never gunna beat the easiest team. We’ll lose to the English them beat Croatia once we’re out. 

I think we all were of the same mind that the team was too negative. Adams made a clear difference when he came on. That will be the biggest regret. Hendry showed his inexperience by trying to shoot from distance when we were short of numbers behind him. Maybe if Tierney was fit, he'd have been benched today and that whole episode would never have occurred. But that's not something we can do anything about. We'll have our backs to the wall on Friday and we'll just have to manage the occasion as best we can. The Croatia game is anyone's guess really. They have the better players, but if we are at it and they don't show up, it's a winnable tie. 

33 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I think we all were of the same mind that the team was too negative. Adams made a clear difference when he came on. That will be the biggest regret. Hendry showed his inexperience by trying to shoot from distance when we were short of numbers behind him. Maybe if Tierney was fit, he'd have been benched today and that whole episode would never have occurred. But that's not something we can do anything about. We'll have our backs to the wall on Friday and we'll just have to manage the occasion as best we can. The Croatia game is anyone's guess really. They have the better players, but if we are at it and they don't show up, it's a winnable tie. 

I think Hendry had that shot simply because he had the confidence of the shot before that hit the bar

although I doubt he thought his keeper would be about 40m off his line when he took said shot

I dont blame Hendry at all for the 2nd goal. I dont blame Marshal either. It was one of those moments in football you have to just applaud the goal. 9 times out of 10 it misses or the keeper manages to scramble it away.

I mentioned in the match thread that Scotland just didnt get the luck today. Virtually all the 50/50s like the break of balls & deflected shots went against us.

1 hour ago, StevehFC said:

Gordon, Patterson, Hanley, Cooper, Tierney, Robbo, McGinn, McTominay, Gilmour, Nisbet, Adams on Friday.

Great line up. I would swap Dykes for Nisbet as I don't think Nisbet is ready for a game against England.

O'Donnell should not play again for a Scotland team. He was panic stations in his pants all games.

Nisbet clearly isn't ready for football above SPL and yes I know recent friendlies.

Adams looked amazing good for 5 minutes and disappeared.

I have read much criticism for McTominay but I thought he was incredible - it is not his fault he is also Scotland best CB so must play there after one of the not good ones is taking off. Given Scotland CB problem I think Cooper was OK.

Such a shame all the party there must have been is so flat.

I actually thought we played well today. We didn't get the result but a combination of bad luck and bad finishing did for us.

@Christmastotally agree on O'Donnell, Nisbet, Adams and McTominay.

We're still in this, playing with the big boys - school bully coming up on Friday.

I really hope Czechia beat Croatia and then Croatia on summer holiday in last game. Not impossible as they looked already on holiday v England.

If Croatia still can qualify if think Scotland will face three very sad games, but maybe a final game party if Croatia don't need a points. 

I read somewhere third place progression no longer possible 

3 minutes ago, Christmas said:

I read somewhere third place progression no longer possible 

I don't understand how that can be possible at the moment.

The problem we have with Croatia is that they didn't even try against England. They decided to keep the goal difference down knowing it is not the English game that will determine their progress but the results in the other two games.

They will setup to attack against us and the Czechs.

Yeah 3rd is still on, its tough, cant lose at Wembley really.. but I dont think going into that looking for a point will be the way to play.

Get straight into them, go hard early. The more any team stands off England, the easier they have it... mentally they will collapse if a team gets in their face. Southgate will not be able to adapt his team, they love playing Eastern European sides who are happy to do nothing for 90 minutes.

Get it up em

1 hour ago, bestbrother said:

Yeah 3rd is still on, its tough, cant lose at Wembley really.. but I dont think going into that looking for a point will be the way to play.

Get straight into them, go hard early. The more any team stands off England, the easier they have it... mentally they will collapse if a team gets in their face. Southgate will not be able to adapt his team, they love playing Eastern European sides who are happy to do nothing for 90 minutes.

Get it up em

'sake man, thought you were Swedish now? :D 

2 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Get it up em

That's the stuff. Are you sure you're only one third Scottish?

5 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

'sake man, thought you were Swedish now? :D 

6% and I cant stand their football :D

1 minute ago, Sons FC said:

That's the stuff. Are you sure you're only one third Scottish?

39% ... im getting there. Im trying to find out what Kilt I should wear and even though I wont eat Haggis, im back on the Irn Bru... and have a poster of Mel Gibson hanging above my bed.

The Czech Republic game was the litmus test for me. I thought we did okay. But we didn't have the quality to make the big moments count. I enjoyed the game, despite the result. But I think it's just about keeping some pride in the remaining games. If we can get a point from either game, that'd be decent. 

We have a realistic chance of second place in our WC qualifying group, and that's where our next focus will be. It'd be amazing to get to back-to-back tournaments. There's no reason why we shouldn't be aiming to. 

They did everything we could possibly ask of them. Made life really difficult for England. Managed to cause a few problems at the other end. Second half, we were the better side. 

I'm tempering my expectations ahead of the Croatia game. If there's one thing we know how to do it's do the hard part and... you know the rest.