Contracts = Happiness = Form?

Hi everyone,

I’m managing in Argentina for the first time ever and I had a few scenarios that had me scratching my head

1. I have a young player with lots of PA who wants a new contract, but the pay increase he wants is x5 of his current contract which I can’t afford. His contract has 2 years left a new contract will only add another 2 years on top of that. So I’m starting to think I just won’t renew, the ONLY thing I’m worried about is his unhappiness, his morale is still high, but will his unhappiness affect his form or ability on the pitch?

2. Similarly I have 3 unbelievable ‘golden generation’ youth players who went straight into my first team, understandably they are after new contracts. But the issue here is each time the agent sets a stupidly low locked Minimum Release Clause (6mil even though they are already 3mil). I don’t mind paying them the weekly wage but I always ‘walk away’ due to the unnegotiable release clause set by the agent. Again, I will only get an additional 2 years out of them on a new contract, so I’m thinking I’ll just pay them their puny youth contract until I get a mega offer from abroad. Better that then paying them x5 their current wage and having to sell them for LESS than I could. But again, my worry is unhappiness, will any of this effect their ability to deliver on the pitch? 

Do you think I’m doing the right thing here? They seem to all be playing well. I’m on FM Touch if that makes a difference?

Edited by scwiffy
Correction

• scwiffy changed the title to Contracts = Happiness = Form?

Morale can have an effect on game performance but I have always found that it is not significant enough to have a long term impact.  I would hold off for now and wait till nearer the end of their contracts and try again.  Clearly the agent feels that he has all the aces and is playing hard-ball, so maybe he will be easier to deal with later.