Shout defending a narrow lead

Which shout do you use if you use any if you have narrow one goal lead in a tight game with 10 minuttes to go.. I have tried Focus but the morale head icon turns red - overwhelming-

Edited by Lyngby

• Lyngby changed the title to Shout defending a narrow lead

I also gave up about the shouts on FM 21. They are so strange and the ones I used had the opposite effect. Also I use the match screen on full 2D so it´s too boring to stop the game everytime to give a look at the players´ reactions.

So I try to adjust TIs as @phnompenhandysuggested.

It's funny but the only time I get positive effect from shouts is when I use "encourage" or "demand more" when we are either even or losing. Whenever i tried any other like "concentrate" in any scoreline situation I always get negative feedback. Also when i tried "demand more" or "encourage" when I'm leading, even by one goal, it's always negative. It's gotten to the point where the whole mechanic feels very artificial and "gamey" to me. I still use "encourage" and "demand more" when chasing a goal but gave up on the others. Not sure whether that part of game is not well fleshed out or simply i am too stupid to understand the intricacies behind it.

Edited by crusadertsar

I don't think focus/concentrate is a shout you should be using as a team shout. You need to look out for players that display body language that is either complacent or uninterested - they are the players that are losing focus and (may) need to be shouted at. Will it work? Not always; a player who is poor at handling at pressure may not react well for example. Fire up you might also use on complacent or uninterested players but more so in games where the result is not going your way vs one where it is (and as such is where Focus would be applied).

For a lot of shouts, body language is very important. Got players who are nervous or anxious? This could be a sign that the player(s) are not handling the pressure. So you might use the No Pressure shout. Player is angry or frustrated? Tell him to calm down.

Encourage, Demand More, Praise and Berate are shouts I would consider using more on a team wide basis, as they're game result situational. Encourage and Demand More are very similar in actuality and which one you use is dependent on player morale (low morale players respond better to encourage!).

Hope that makes sense. I'm pre-coffee currently 

Edited by NotSoSpecialOne

I only use Demand More, Encourage, Praise. 

Encourage if we haven't scored in the first 20mins.

Demand More if we're still level at the start of the 2nd half or behind, or 1-0 or maybe 2-0 up. 

Praise of we're 3-0 up or sometimes if we equalise late on. 

15 hours ago, Lyngby said:

Which shout do you use if you use any if you have narrow one goal lead in a tight game with 10 minuttes to go.. I have tried Focus but the morale head icon turns red - overwhelming-

Hmm it should ideally be a combination of things to help retain possession. In the old days we had a set of instructions to retain possession, these included:

Reducing width, tempo and passing directness. These combine to help you keep the ball. I like to use the shout Focus because it does help. In terms of the other shouts this is how i use them.

Your team talk should have an effect into the first 15 mins of each half. After that I pay attention to how I play and also the personality of my players. These both influence how they will behave to a shout.

Youngsters who are apprehensive/anxious i will tell encourage them

Focus works well on strong personalities towards the last 15 minutes of a game when you want to hold on to a lead

Encourage also gives a nice pickup during the start of a game when your team produces a shot on goal which the keeper needs to save

If after 20 minutes you find yourself backs to the wall and you need to lift your players up, then demand more is a good one to use with professional players.

These are some of the things that I do.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Hmm it should ideally be a combination of things to help retain possession. In the old days we had a set of instructions to retain possession, these included:

Reducing width, tempo and passing directness. These combine to help you keep the ball. I like to use the shout Focus because it does help. In terms of the other shouts this is how i use them.

Your team talk should have an effect into the first 15 mins of each half. After that I pay attention to how I play and also the personality of my players. These both influence how they will behave to a shout.

Youngsters who are apprehensive/anxious i will tell encourage them

Focus works well on strong personalities towards the last 15 minutes of a game when you want to hold on to a lead

Encourage also gives a nice pickup during the start of a game when your team produces a shot on goal which the keeper needs to save

If after 20 minutes you find yourself backs to the wall and you need to lift your players up, then demand more is a good one to use with professional players.

These are some of the things that I do.

I think the point is these are all excellent shouts to use for individual players. The problem is you can only shout at one individual and then shut your gob for 10 or 15 minutes. As such Io generally save my precious sole shout to tell a player to 'calm down' as soon as he's been booked.

The OP is asking about shouting to the whole team - given the varying personalities in the side, a global shout seems to be set up for failure. There is a small range of safe options - for instance if I'm the underdog and we concede early doors, I will 'encourage', but that's about all that I can trust as a team shout.

By the way Daljit, I've been reading and appreciating your posts and guides on here for many years, but I've only now 'discovered' Bust The Net. Phenomenal stuff.  Given I'm still playing FM19 I'm having to dig a bit deep, but I'm still finding your advice invaluable, so a vert belated :thup::thup: from me!

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

a global shout seems to be set up for failure. T

You can give each player an individual shout. So each player can be told different things. There was one match where I paused and i gave 3 players encourage, 3 more demand more, another two I berated at them. Basically all 11 players were told something different.

I will probably do more of this on future streams, since its not something a lot of people apart from me who do on my personal saves. ie giving a lot of different shouts to players at the same time.

8 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

You can give each player an individual shout. So each player can be told different things. There was one match where I paused and i gave 3 players encourage, 3 more demand more, another two I berated at them. Basically all 11 players were told something different.

I will probably do more of this on future streams, since its not something a lot of people apart from me who do on my personal saves. ie giving a lot of different shouts to players at the same time.

Wow, I had no idea this was possible. I'm just coming up to pre-season and have over 20 friendlies arranged, so I have adequate means to experiment! Thanks.

21 minutes ago, vkastanas said:

I don't think you can do it in FM19 though! For sure you can do it in FM21!

Time to upgrade?

Ohhhh. I desperately want to upgrade to FM21. Problem is I live in Cambodia, and whilst I can buy the game online, Steam won't allow me to activate it. Dunno why.

1 hour ago, vkastanas said:

I don't think you can do it in FM19 though! For sure you can do it in FM21!

Time to upgrade?

If I remember correctly, you could give individual shouts to players as far back as FM15. The only issue I had was that it was very tedious doing this.