Has anyone else been screwed by Olympic qualifying?

So, I brought in a new left back in January, only to be informed immediately that he had been called up for Olympic qualifying, he got on a plane the next day, missed several important matches and came back unfit. Needless to say, this had a detrimental effect on my season, in fact it is one of the stupidest problems I have faced recently.

I mean seriously, Olympic qualifying. In real life teams are under no obligation to release players for the tournament, let alone the qualifiers, they tend not to release youth prospects let alone regular first team players, but bizarrely, in the world of Football Manager, the Colombian u-23 coach is all powerful and does whatever he wishes.

Has anyone else had this happen? 

Just had a similar situation. I rely on my pre-season to test out tactical tweaks. Had a training camp in Portugal and had to select only 25 players to go. The very same news window that my squad was flying out I got notice that 3 were to bog off to the Olympics. I wasn't able to add other players to the camp squad so had to test and tweak my tactics without 3 key players. Just getting prior notice would have been nice.

Well, I've just been screwed over by the tournament proper. 5 players called up for the Olympics, nothing I can do about it. To make matters worse 4 out of the 5 are key players who have already played in either the Euros or the Copa America this summer. If they come back jaded, hurt or unfit I am in deep trouble.

And to think, my preparations for the season opener against Liverpool are going to be disrupted by a u-23 tournament. The game may as well tell me that my players were abducted by aliens, that would be less bizarre.

Edit: should I just try and mod the Olympics out of the game or something?

Edited by Outsider23

Losing players to the Olympics seems like a bug to me, given that it is my understanding that clubs are not required by FIFA to release players for the Olympics the way they are for the World Cup and World Cup qualifiers.  Not sure why FM doesn't give you the option to make players unavailable for the Olympics. 

On 08/06/2021 at 09:22, Outsider23 said:

Well, I've just been screwed over by the tournament proper. 5 players called up for the Olympics, nothing I can do about it. To make matters worse 4 out of the 5 are key players who have already played in either the Euros or the Copa America this summer. If they come back jaded, hurt or unfit I am in deep trouble.

And to think, my preparations for the season opener against Liverpool are going to be disrupted by a u-23 tournament. The game may as well tell me that my players were abducted by aliens, that would be less bizarre.

Edit: should I just try and mod the Olympics out of the game or something?

it could be worse, try actually being Liverpool. I lost Alli and the back up keeper, Salah randomly keeps flying back and forwards, continually jet lagged from friendlies he is withdrawn from. Bobby came back like the walking dead. there schedule hasnt had a break for 3 years, what with the euros, olympics, world cup, reorganised schedules and reorganised club world cup. 

next game, will go back to the cheat of buying germans just coz they dont go anywhere