Advice needed - Improving team after 2nd promotion

I am about to get promoted for the second consecutive season with Port Vale as I have an 13 point lead over the playoff spots with 8 games left.

So we will be playing in the Championship with a squad which is filled with League Two players. Current salary spend is GBP 2.6M per year which is 14th most in League One. Championship average is around 15M. 

The squad was competitive enough for the first promotion but I guess I need to strengthen it for Championship. I'm not renewing contract of rotation players and individually scouting poential targets with expiring contracts.

So my questions:

- What is the time when players will recognize me as a Championship team and start showing more interest in playing for me?

- What is the time when extra payroll will be available? I'm already spending 5k per week under the limit but I will need to sign players with much higher salary than the current squad.

- Is it better to sign pre-contracts now or wait until summer when free agents will leave their clubs?

Any advice is appreciated.

14 hours ago, hefewe1zen said:

I am about to get promoted for the second consecutive season with Port Vale as I have an 13 point lead over the playoff spots with 8 games left.

So we will be playing in the Championship with a squad which is filled with League Two players. Current salary spend is GBP 2.6M per year which is 14th most in League One. Championship average is around 15M. 

The squad was competitive enough for the first promotion but I guess I need to strengthen it for Championship. I'm not renewing contract of rotation players and individually scouting poential targets with expiring contracts.

So my questions:

- What is the time when players will recognize me as a Championship team and start showing more interest in playing for me?

- What is the time when extra payroll will be available? I'm already spending 5k per week under the limit but I will need to sign players with much higher salary than the current squad.

- Is it better to sign pre-contracts now or wait until summer when free agents will leave their clubs?

Any advice is appreciated.

Should be when you mathematically secure promotion, the board will give you next year's transfer and wage budgets.

Make sure you've got a senior affiliate club to get loans from, and get as many loan players as you're allowed, and be prepared for a bit of a grind, the Championship is a big step up in terms of quality and budgets.

In the past I've found when reputation bumps around end of June season reset that's helped me attract better players.  

I'd recommend having a shortlist of those youth players at prem clubs who are coming to the end of their contract. If you can offer them contacts now that they'd accept, then great,  but they may agree terms with you after their contract expires if not. This has always been a great way of getting better quality players in. 

Finally,  do put some trust in your existing players. The game may not rate them particularly highly,  but if they're performing well it may be that they do so again due to their attributes or personality. I've had players stay with me from league 2 until the Premier league and although they were rated as league 1/ championship players at best they still did a job. 

If you’ve got a good scouting setup already in place certainly prioritize loans. There’s virtually no limit (4 from single club?). That is the best way to up your quality immediately.

May be anecdotal but I’ve found improving quality up front is especially efficient utilizing loan market. 

With limited funds or prospects, I like to prioritize GK and CD (or a good DM).  If you can keep just 4-5 extra clean sheets (i.e. draws or narrow wins), that can make the difference between relegation and staying up; even conceding just 1 also will garner some points.  Of course, scoring is important in the long run, but you don't know when it will come:  you can lose 4-3 but you can't lose if you hold a clean sheet.  Remember that, in your overall season squad building strategy, as opposed to an individual game, you are not aiming to outright defeat the top clubs.  Staying up will convince more players that you are a real EPL team.  Good set piece takers can also make points' difference.

• 2 weeks later...