What is the best time to sell a "Wonderkid" ?

I mean, if you have a 4,5-5 Star Potential Wonderkid, but his CA is only 2,5 -3 star...

and some bigger clubs offer 30-40 Million Euro for him at 19 years old... Should you sell him immidiately? or should you keep, train him 2-3 more years and then sell for Double the price? 

From my point of view it depends a lot on a variety of factors.

• Is he currently a useful player for you?
  • What are the trainers saying about his improvement? Probably a lot when he is still 5* potential. 5* means he will get better than most players in your squad and be a star player above your current level.
  • Is he actually improving? 
  • Does he get play time and doing a good job, getting good ratings, scoring goals and assists? Getting good training grades?
  • Are you happy with his skills and distribution, or are his skills off in areas important for your game plan (e.g. not enough physicals, low teamwork and vision for a player that needs to pass, etc.)
  • Is he consistent and not prone to injuries?
  • Does he have a good personality?
  • Do you need the money? If not, why sell him?

I usuallly wouldn't sell him, because 19 is early and he will improve until 22 or 23. Unless i am just not happy with him, for whatever reasons. Furthermore 30-40 million isn't really much (depending on your level). He could add 15-20 CA. but prefer to give him game time. If he is just number three or four on his position, this might prove hard. But 2.5*-3* is a decent squad player. 

Usually i sell young players when the end of their improvement is near and I am not happy with them. When they are 2.5*, i prefer to loan them out in case I can't play them.

Edited by Flinsenberger

2 hours ago, Flinsenberger said:

From my point of view it depends a lot on a variety of factors.

• Is he currently a useful player for you?
  • What are the trainers saying about his improvement? Probably a lot when he is still 5* potential. 5* means he will get better than most players in your squad and be a star player above your current level.
  • Is he actually improving? 
  • Does he get play time and doing a good job, getting good ratings, scoring goals and assists? Getting good training grades?
  • Are you happy with his skills and distribution, or are his skills off in areas important for your game plan (e.g. not enough physicals, low teamwork and vision for a player that needs to pass, etc.)
  • Is he consistent and not prone to injuries?
  • Does he have a good personality?
  • Do you need the money? If not, why sell him?

I usuallly wouldn't sell him, because 19 is early and he will improve until 22 or 23. Unless i am just not happy with him, for whatever reasons. Furthermore 30-40 million isn't really much (depending on your level). He could add 15-20 CA. but prefer to give him game time. If he is just number three or four on his position, this might prove hard. But 2.5*-3* is a decent squad player. 

Usually i sell young players when the end of their improvement is near and I am not happy with them. When they are 2.5*, i prefer to loan them out in case I can't play them.

Great Post.

Run through those points, you'll have your answer

Over the years if I have managed to get a wonderkid, I would usually wait till he has established himself in the first team, shown some improvement and is coming to the end of his contract.  This will be around 22-23 and will get the big clubs interested and you can get some big money for them

For me, the selling point is when their wage demands get too high.  even for a big club, I cant force myself to give 200,000 euros a week on salary.  I would never sell a future star at 19 unless they were demanding it or I had mismanaged the finances somehow.  Even if I had mismanaged the finances, i would try to find another way to make money. 

I don't enjoy contract negotiation time!  I tend to lose half my Liverpool team!