Match 19: Sweden v Slovakia, Live from St Petersburg on BBC One

Tikka Mezzala

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197589

With Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Scotland all due to play today, it's quite a day for the Tikka family. All three are underdogs, so the chance of three wins are pretty far-fetched. But this game probably sees the best chance of one of the sides getting something. Slovakia got an impressive win over Poland in round one, while Sweden survived a Spanish onslaught to give them their first point. A win for either side will surely see them progress. Slovakia will be eyeing this one as the big chance to go through, because they'll not want to rely on having to get something from the Spain game. Sweden, on the other hand, will still have a chance to go through if they beat Poland in round three. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as you can’t demand a win against any side in a tournament like this, I expect a semi-comfy win today. The whole team will be wanting to set things straight and show they have attacking qualities and I expect Forsberg and Isak to show some promise here.

Would have preferred Claesson over Olsson for sure but I think we have enough quality to win anyway. I’ll be a nervous wreck as always but in the case of a disaster we can possibly bail ourselves out in the last game. Cmon Sweden!!!

18 minutes ago, Norfair said:

As much as you can’t demand a win against any side in a tournament like this, I expect a semi-comfy win today. The whole team will be wanting to set things straight and show they have attacking qualities and I expect Forsberg and Isak to show some promise here.

Would have preferred Claesson over Olsson for sure but I think we have enough quality to win anyway. I’ll be a nervous wreck as always but in the case of a disaster we can possibly bail ourselves out in the last game. Cmon Sweden!!!

I have a lot of time for Sweden. Love the yellow strips, and grew up idolising Henrik Larsson. Always supported them during the period Henk was still playing. I'll never forget his diving header against Bulgaria. They also tended to do quite well against England at one point, which is always a bonus for a Scotsman. :D 

The real issue is that this 3rd place nonsense promotes negative, cagey football. I am guessing Sweden think that Spain will beat Poland, so they should then be able to beat a knocked out side and get through without having to go for it here.

I will remember literally zero games from this Euros for entertainment so far aside from Netherlands Ukraine and maybe Denmark Belgium.

Edited by ArsenalFan7

1 minute ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

The real issue is that this 3rd place nonsense promotes negative, cagey football. I am guessing Sweden think that Spain will beat Poland, so they should then be able to beat a knocked out side and get through without having to go for it here.

I will remember literally zero games from this Euros for entertainment so far aside from Netherlands Ukraine.

Are many group games from prior tournaments that memorable? Surely they're generally forgettable just because they're the earlier stages?

Do completely agree with you that the 3rd place thing is crap, but I've enjoyed quite a few games, even if I won't remember them in a few years.

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Are many group games from prior tournaments that memorable? Surely they're generally forgettable just because they're the earlier stages?

Do completely agree with you that the 3rd place thing is crap, but I've enjoyed quite a few games, even if I won't remember them in a few years.

You’re completely right about the first part tbh. I just feel like I’m not properly enjoying this like I could because teams are relaxed.

The two early games yesterday were really enjoyable but for the most part I just come out of every game thinking who cares.

Edited by ArsenalFan7

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

It was better for sure.

3 points pretty much guarantee that you're going through, so a lot of teams just calculate after the first game.

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

You’re completely right about the first part tbh. I just feel like I’m not properly enjoying this like I could because teams are relaxed.

The two games yesterday were really enjoyable but for the most part I just come out of every game thinking who cares.

Yeah it's why I'd rather go back to the 16 man tournament. Even 32 would be better in my view. Means you end up with 8 more awful teams, but the groups mean more.

where's the people who said Turkey V Italy on the opening night was bad? :D

the 3rd place thing is making these games cagey and it will continue until we reach the last lot on Monday