Match 25 AND Match 26: Italy vs Wales (ITV1 live from Rome) AND Switzerland vs Turkey (ITV4 live from Baku) 5pm (bst)

Coulthard's Jaw

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

Not really, they are through even in 3rd basically before the game kicked off and i dont think they'll take a tanking either

He means there's a difference between 2nd and 3rd in this group.

2nd = Russia/Finland in R16.

3rd = could be Belgium or France R16. Particularly if there's a 3rd place from Group F that makes it through, makes that even more likely to be Belgium or France (or whoever wins Group F)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Don't Portugal have +1 GD? Won 3-0 and lost 4-2.

Whoops, wiki tricked me, though it appears to be correct now so maybe I'm just dumb.

AS IT STANDS

1. Italy - 9pts, +7 GD
2. Wales - 4pts, +1 GD
3. Switzerland - 4pts, -1 GD
---
4. Turkey - 0pts, -7 GD

THIRD PLACE TEAMS

1. Switzerland - 4pts, -1 GD
2. Portugal - 3pts, +1 GD
3. Austria - 3pts, 0 GD, 3 goals scored
4. Finland - 3pts, 0 GD, 1 goal scored
----
5. Spain - 2pts, 0 GD
6. Croatia - 1pt, -1 GD

Not sure what you do if you Wales here. Try and keep it to 1 and hope the Swiss don't get the goals. Or do they go for it more. 

2nd is potentially kind for Wales. One of Finland, Russia or Denmark. Then Holland as the big boy in quarters. They'd fancy their chances against Holland IMO

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

He means there's a difference between 2nd and 3rd in this group.

2nd = Russia/Finland in R16.

3rd = could be Belgium or France R16. Particularly if there's a 3rd place from Group F that makes it through, makes that even more likely to be Belgium or France (or whoever wins Group F)

Yea, i thought he meant just qualifying generally.

Just now, skybluedave said:

Not sure what you do if you Wales here. Try and keep it to 1 and hope the Swiss don't get the goals. Or do they go for it more. 

2nd is potentially kind for Wales. One of Finland, Russia or Denmark. Then Holland as the big boy in quarters. They'd fancy their chances against Holland IMO

If Switzerland qualify as a 3rd place team, Holland are highly likely to get one from France/Germany/Portugal in R16. Assuming Group F produces a 3rd place qualifier. Not sure Wales would end up playing Holland as a QF in that scenario.

I'm kind of intrigued to know whether Rob Page or any of the staff are keeping across what's happening with Switzerland, or even whether they care. If they concede another here it gets very close for them in terms of losing 2nd place.

Turkey are dreadful, Sommer's made saves but only one was a great chance. Embolo seems to be playing deeper alongside Shaqiri and I can see why they persist with Seferovic, he slipped Shaqiri through and can hold it up. A bit like Welbeck, you think he'd be really good if he could add goals to his game (obviously he is nothing like Welbz as a player).

But Turkey just have no drive or speed towards 50-50s in midfield, and are so easy to pass through.

Edit: and Hayes is still good and also mispronounces player names like Hoddle, I think he's been mentoring her on comms :D

Edited by The_jagster

16 minutes ago, Pukey said:

"Controversial free kick, I though it was a foul" ****ing hell get Hartson off this is embarrassing :D 

He's an absolute idiot. Only gets on tv because he begs. Even learned Welsh to get more gigs. Out of touch with the modern game and at times (like today) reality.

4 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Who gets 2nd if both Switzerland and Wales end up on 4-4?

Goes to disciplinary record from what I can see. Which means Wales finish higher by virtue of having one fewer yellow card

That's as it stands. If Wales pick up any cards here and it finishes level on disciplinary, Switzerland finish higher.

Edited by Astafjevs

49 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Bernardeschi is comically bad. :D

He was awful in the first half. Looks like he won a raffle to take part.

29 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Turkey are a disgrace of a team ffs.

Worst team in this competition by an absolute mile. 

2 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Record will be fine. Best Serie A central defender stands next to him.

De Ligt play for Oranje, silly ^^

1 minute ago, DJ said:

De Vrij play for Oranje, silly ^^

Fixed that for you. :brock:

3 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Record will be fine. Best Serie A central defender stands next to him.

Yeah, liability called Bonucci being of means Wales has no chance to score.

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

Better free kick than Cristiano Ronaldo's.

My granny takes beter FKs than Ronaldo. And she's been dead for 30 years.