Can you 'mushroom' a player?

Hi,

I have a couple of players that I would like to force out of the club & wondered whether it's effective to do what Big Sam Allardyce describes as 'mushrooming' a player? It's essentially keeping him in the dark (making him train at odd times & with the kids) until he changes his mind & decides to leave. Thanks!

I have a 22 year old academy player who was a bright prospect at 17/18 and played for me in the Bundesliga/CL but failed to live up to his potential. After an unsuccessful spell out on loan he had one year left on his contract so I decided to get rid. I had a transfer agreed with another Bundesliga club, set his squad status to 'not needed' and dumped him in my B team squad playing in the third tier, but he still rejected the transfer and said he was going to prove me wrong :seagull:

54 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

I have a 22 year old academy player who was a bright prospect at 17/18 and played for me in the Bundesliga/CL but failed to live up to his potential. After an unsuccessful spell out on loan he had one year left on his contract so I decided to get rid. I had a transfer agreed with another Bundesliga club, set his squad status to 'not needed' and dumped him in my B team squad playing in the third tier, but he still rejected the transfer and said he was going to prove me wrong :seagull:

I guess that happens in real life. The player has been with the club since joining them as a young child & doesn't want to leave without a fight. It also happens with older players who feel that they haven't been given a fair chance yet. Did he have a high level of determination?

2 hours ago, smeagoltonez said:

Do they recognise that they are being poorly treated (in the way that they do when you criticise them or transfer list them etc) ?

Yes, I've done it before and they are unhappy to be moved to the reserves

7 hours ago, smeagoltonez said:

I guess that happens in real life. The player has been with the club since joining them as a young child & doesn't want to leave without a fight. It also happens with older players who feel that they haven't been given a fair chance yet. Did he have a high level of determination?

Yeah unfortunately I'd drummed it into him since he came through. It was a good move he had lined up though to a well established side, deluded of him to think he can get back in my team ahead of the £50m first choice RB and the £26m back up ahead of him. That and I have another two kids ahead of him in the pecking order...