Need some advice with youth development

Just started a new long term save with Benfica focusing on youth development and was wondering what the best approach was to developping young players to reach their potential.

My question is this: Would you rather leave a young player in U19s until he's 18yo so he can make use of coaches with good Working with youngsters attribute and then move move him out to B Team (which plays in 2nd tier of Portugal), or promote him to U23s at some point (if so, when would be a good time for that?) before he turns 18 and plays for the B Team?

Here's a regen for example that I'm keen to develop, I know he won't be a world beater but he could definitely do a decent job at a top 5 league club in Europe. I feel like he could be good enough to play for my B Team (2nd division) in a season but was wondering if I should keep him in my U19s, or move him up to U23s at some point (and if so, what would be a good time for that?)

Sorry for any confusion caused since English isn't my main language

q89fw0d.png

The way I do it is, I sign all players from youth intake regardless of quality.

They stay in my u18s until they turn 18 when twice a season (New Years Day & First day of pre-season) and I'll promote them to my U23s.

Once they are in the u23s I don't actively loan them because I know my coaches and facilities are better than 99% of teams who are interested in loaning them. The best of them will be involved in pre-season and some cup games. If they look particularly good, they will take the place of the back-up position in my 1st team where they will get more game time and hopefully take over 1st 11 place.

13 minutes ago, Grifty said:

The way I do it is, I sign all players from youth intake regardless of quality.

They stay in my u18s until they turn 18 when twice a season (New Years Day & First day of pre-season) and I'll promote them to my U23s.

Once they are in the u23s I don't actively loan them because I know my coaches and facilities are better than 99% of teams who are interested in loaning them. The best of them will be involved in pre-season and some cup games. If they look particularly good, they will take the place of the back-up position in my 1st team where they will get more game time and hopefully take over 1st 11 place.

Thanks for the answer, would you still leave them in U23s if they're good enough to play for a team a division below you or even in the same division? Or in other words, is good coaching and facilities better than playing time at a higher level?

Possibly,  it would depend on the team interested and how I'm doing as a squad.

My personal view (and may not be reflected in game code) is that I'd prefer a 19 year old striker scoring  40 for my under 23s than playing 13 starts, 20 subs and scoring 6 for a team in the division below.