Match 51 THE FINAL: Italy vs England - 8pm Sunday BBC1 AND ITV1 LIVE FROM WEMBLEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember David Seaman taking about penalties and saying he didn’t mind them as there’s no pressure in the goalkeeper so saving it makes you a hero while you’d have to make a big mistake to be criticised for letting one in. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a coach in our youth team when I was 10 or 11 and every time in training, he used to say to us to always shoot with power in penalties. I took that advice with me, and even if I'm playing 5-a-side, 7-a-side or full 11-a-side (happens fairly rarely, like once or twice a year) , when I get to take a penalty, I always shoot with power. I've had very few saved by the goalkeeper, and mostly by professional football, futsal or field hockey goalies anyway,  but I've scored more against themselves than what they've saved. I've had two or three Ramos moments from wanting to blast it under the crossbar, but my conversion rate is pretty good. 

26 minuti fa, Marius_R ha scritto:

Had a coach in our youth team when I was 10 or 11 and every time in training, he used to say to us to always shoot with power in penalties. I took that advice with me, and even if I'm playing 5-a-side, 7-a-side or full 11-a-side (happens fairly rarely, like once or twice a year) , when I get to take a penalty, I always shoot with power. I've had very few saved by the goalkeeper, and mostly by professional football, futsal or field hockey goalies anyway,  but I've scored more against themselves than what they've saved. I've had two or three Ramos moments from wanting to blast it under the crossbar, but my conversion rate is pretty good.

A good penalty is a penalty that is scored, whatever the style you kick the ball with. To be honest, kicking the ball with power doesn't grant any precision, so I prefer a flat, clinical ball kicked between the post and the support behind it. And I think the lower is kicked the ball, the harder is for the keeper to save it (especially if he's quite tall).

On 14/07/2021 at 19:25, Yuko said:

GK wise, it's not just luck. You don't just "pick" a side. You read the movement. Some players cannot be read until the final milisecond, which is where luck comes in. But you can read body language or study a player's move and see if it's going right or left depending on the angle his body is taking as long as you know his strong foot. If you decide to move before the shot is made and the taker is cool enough to have his eyes on the goal rather than the ball, you're screwed. The best takers are those who read the goalkeepers, the best stoppers are those who read the kickers. Luck plays a part, but it's the least important factor. Of course, there are certain shots that are virtually unstoppable, those are the best, but even the best takers cannot replicate those every single time. 

Copy that. Played in a different sport at a much lower level than I was able to. Reading a players intention was possible (and a lot easier than the level I came from!!) and the mere fact you were able to stop penalties gave that added 'fear the keeper' bonus as well.