Mentoring - Why 'none' for 'estimated effect from group'?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up mentoring for my under 18s.

I made a list of the 'influential players' who were 'fairy determined' for each position (that's the best personality I've got & I don't have any 'team leaders' or 'highly influential players') & they are the ones doing the mentoring but it estimates this as having no effect. The player positions for the mentor & mentee match. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Under 18 training.jpg

Under 18 hierarchy.jpg

Edited by smeagoltonez

I think the mentoring needs some rework. I don’t think it’s functional purpose was really designed for youth teams. I personally do not try and mentor at youth level as influence within team is not established (or maybe non-existent). 

to stray from giving a negative, unhelpful post…

Young players do change personality and will pick up influence outside of mentoring. If you have a youth player who you are really keen on, consider moving him to senior squad and train with big boys but play with youth squad. Then you can get proper mentoring benefits. 

22 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I think the mentoring needs some rework. I don’t think it’s functional purpose was really designed for youth teams. I personally do not try and mentor at youth level as influence within team is not established (or maybe non-existent). 

to stray from giving a negative, unhelpful post…

Young players do change personality and will pick up influence outside of mentoring. If you have a youth player who you are really keen on, consider moving him to senior squad and train with big boys but play with youth squad. Then you can get proper mentoring benefits. 

Thanks. So it's not possible to mentor within the under 18 squad? I wondered whether it was because my players are only 'influential' & not 'team leaders' or 'highly influential players'?

Ahah! I just moved my most influential under 23 player to the under 18s & the assistant manager now feels able to suggest mentoring groups. The mentoring is now having a good (estimated) effect. So it's possible to mentor in the under 18s squad but only with 'highly influential players' & above?

Under 18 training new.jpg

I must admit I only tinkered at start of play on this version and have not revisited. My brief experience was, no, mentoring on youth squad not effective.

im sure there’s a fair counter to that opinion

5 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I must admit I only tinkered at start of play on this version and have not revisited. My brief experience was, no, mentoring on youth squad not effective.

im sure there’s a fair counter to that opinion

Thanks for your help/advice anyway. I'll try & update this thread with how I get on.

I mean, when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense to have a completely inexperienced 16 year old mentoring other 16 year olds. The whole mentor-mentee relationship (incl outside football) is about experienced individuals imparting their experience and knowledge onto their less experienced colleagues. 

4 hours ago, causeforconcern said:

I move my most promising youth players into my first team and then mentor them that way. At the same time I make those players available for the youth games 🙂

A good idea but I read that it causes your youth players to miss a lot of training due to travelling for youth games & resting.

1 hour ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I mean, when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense to have a completely inexperienced 16 year old mentoring other 16 year olds. The whole mentor-mentee relationship (incl outside football) is about experienced individuals imparting their experience and knowledge onto their less experienced colleagues. 

'Tis true!

On 15/07/2021 at 15:37, smeagoltonez said:

Ahah! I just moved my most influential under 23 player to the under 18s & the assistant manager now feels able to suggest mentoring groups. The mentoring is now having a good (estimated) effect. So it's possible to mentor in the under 18s squad but only with 'highly influential players' & above?

Under 18 training new.jpg

Generally, the mentor needs to be 21 years old or above before your staff will recommend for him to lead a mentoring group but even this might not work out great as it usually takes a few more years for the player's personality to "harden" to the point that he won't be influenced by the young players that he is supposed to be mentoring.   You can see in your image above that the rest of the players are influencing the mentor and you would ideally have his estimated effect from group listed as none.   BTW, Fairly Determined is not a personality that I would not want mentoring other players.  

On 23/07/2021 at 04:22, rsihn said:

Generally, the mentor needs to be 21 years old or above before your staff will recommend for him to lead a mentoring group but even this might not work out great as it usually takes a few more years for the player's personality to "harden" to the point that he won't be influenced by the young players that he is supposed to be mentoring.   You can see in your image above that the rest of the players are influencing the mentor and you would ideally have his estimated effect from group listed as none.   BTW, Fairly Determined is not a personality that I would not want mentoring other players.  

It doesn’t really make sense to me (my screenshot). It states that the mentees won’t have any influence (‘none’) but somehow the mentor is still getting an ‘average’ effect from the group? He’s mentoring himself then? 🙃

11 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I just move the players that need to be mentored to my main squad to set up montor groups and make them available for U18

A good idea but I read that it causes your youth players to miss a lot of training due to travelling for youth games & resting.

You can see it being discussed here: 

Yes, you can move them around, and it is a side effect. I havent done an experiment where you compare the growth of one in u18 and one in your squad with available for U18. But I prefer the imporvement in personality over the training loss. The biggest growth is between 18-22anyway , at which point match experience  is the deciding factor (aka loan them out).

A high potential with a mediocrepersonality wont make it is my thinking