What am I not seeing?

The defending  with this tactic is usually  quite solid but it struggles to score goals or do anything when specific PIS are moved or changed for example if you remove the get further forward PIS on the wingers or change them to attack duty all hell breaks loose, if you try changing a   CM (S) to CM (A) BBM (S) AP (S/A) all hell breaks loose, if you try changing the wingers to IF (S) all hell still breaks loose I just feel stuck because there's  nothing you can do.

The tactic works well in the lower  leagues even if you have a team that is expected to finish in the bottom half of the table.

I got back to back promotions in France but when you reach Ligue 1  it becomes impossible to do anything.

What can I try to improve chance creation / defending in a top league?

long lasting one for FM.png

Hi, I am not expert, but a few things stand out to me.

There are a lot of support duties here. My initial thoughts are to change one fb to attack, the opposite winger to attack and one cm to attack.  Consider an IF instead of a winger on 1 side for another goal threat (maybe the attacking side). Maybe also think about changing TM to support (is a tm a good role for gegenpress?)

Also I am not sure how well balanced works on gegenpress, maybe try positive or attacking?

Again, no expert but maybe some others can chide in.

image.png.38bc1a3dda076d10b4f7c3a2af4af908.png

There is noone who links up with the TM, i would either use an attack duty CM / mezzala or a wide player who is drifting inside, like an AP, T, RMD, IF. no IW though. Also whats your teams media prediction / your boards expectations for ligue 1?

2 hours ago, CARRERA said:

image.png.38bc1a3dda076d10b4f7c3a2af4af908.png

There is noone who links up with the TM, i would either use an attack duty CM / mezzala or a wide player who is drifting inside, like an AP, T, RMD, IF. no IW though. Also whats your teams media prediction / your boards expectations for ligue 1?

The board's expectation is to "battle against relegation" and media prediction is 19th I was thinking of using IF (s) but I haven't  used that with TM yet.

As someone else pointed out your STC is sitting up top by himself with no one there to help him. I am not shocked that you are having problems scoring goals.

1) With Genpres you should probably be on Positive Mentality. If you are recently promoted it might not be the best tactic for you to use as it requires you to be a very good team in relation to you opposition.

2) I would take one of your CM and put them on some form of Attack duty so you have a runner into the box to aid your STC.

3) I would put your one of you AM on Attack.

4) I would put one of your FB on Attack.

5) Given that you are newly promoted I would not use Genpress. It requires good players in relation to the opposition.

All that being said remember....the best tactic, the most correct tactic.....is the one that works.

You are playing with a target man with noone to support him, and you have also set your posssion to play out of defense and distribute centrebacks and and fullbacks. If you have a target man, target him. Hit the ball long to him from the back and get players in and around him to pickup the ball when it lands on him.

You also have three defenders on defend, all your midfield on support, and one attacker on attack. Look up the 'pairs' thread that is a sticky on this forum, it explains why this is bad. In essence, all your defenders are hanging back, and your forward is moving forward. You should generally have one wide pair (fullback\winger) on support\attack and the other on attack\support.

Play narrow to get your wide forward players near your target man.

Playing wingbacks and wingers is somewhat redundant, they are trying to do the same role. Try setting on of your wide forwards to a wide playmaker support role, in a narrow formation. Set your other wide forward to attack. This way the pattern of play would be - hit it to your target man, he knocks it down to the play maker, who tries to find the attacking winger, who crosses it back into the box for the now advanced target man to score