My "Shifting" Formation: How I defend in a 4-4-2 and attack in a 4-3-3

37 minutes ago, Solosin said:

Disclaimer: I still play FM18, however there shouldn't be any problems when this idea is implemented in newer versions of FM.

What is a "Shifting" Formation?

One thing that I always like in real life is when teams seemingly "shift" to a different formation when they defend. This could be a 4-2-3-1 that becomes a 4-4-2, when the AM and STC spread and form a front 2, leading the press. Or when a 4-3-3 becomes a 4-4-2, when one of the wingers stays with the striker to form a front 2, and the other drops back into the defensive line. I like to call this formation "shifting".

But how to translate this into Football Manager? I believe this can be achieved by two ways:

1. Vertical shifting: AMR becomes MR, RWB becomes RB, AM becomes CM. They directly fall back one strata to aid the defense. This can easily be achieved in FM by playing an attack duty or just playing a role which "Gets further forward". It is why a lot of real-life 4-2-3-1s are often replicated in FM as 4-4-1-1s.
  2. Horizontal shifting: When a RCM defends as an RM, a STCR defends as an AMR. This is when it becomes tricky.

The obvious solution is to ask him to man mark an opposition player who will be operating in the area that I want him to defend in. But I don't want to do that, because:

1. Fundamentally, I don't like man marking.
  2. I want to defend dynamically, and intelligently. I don't want my STCR to always follow around the opposition LB like a headless chicken, I want him to defend that space and make decisions like he would when defending normally.

Now that I have decided I'm not going to use any man marking instructions, I am left with no choice but to structure my team in the formation which I like to defend in, and further tweak it in such a way that I create the formation I desire when in possession. 

In other words, I'm going to play a 4-4-2 which will be a 4-3-3 in possession.

Defining my 4-3-3 and 4-4-2

I do not claim to create a 4-3-3 in its classical sense, I am simply creating my own 4-3-3, which is my personal philosophy and the way I want my team to play.

I am a big fan of attacking with a 4-3-3 shape, and defending with a 4-4-2 shape. I like to have 3 midfielders and 3 attackers in possession, and I also like to have 2 solid banks of four without possession. My 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 can be described as:

1. In attack: A 4-3-3 with a designated "creative flank" and a "roaming flank", and overloading the creative flank in buildup. 
    • My 4-3-3 is heavily focused on building up play through one flank and having all my technical players in that flank. The other flank would have a free "roamer", who would often lurk around, arrive late into the box and finish off moves that are orchestrated by my "creative" flank by means of a quick cross-field ball that will unlock the opposition defense.
    • This idea is heavily influenced by Maurizio Sarri and his Napoli side, who famously played a sort of lopsided 4-3-3 with an emphasis on building up through the left flank. Insigne, Hamsik, Jorginho and Ghoulam all heavily participated in the buildup and would often make a quick switch of play to Callejon, who was a "roamer" and would arrive at the far post to finish off moves.
  2. In defense:  A Sacchi-inspired 4-4-2

Final Objectives

To sum up, I want to accomplish:

1. Solid 4-4-2 shape in defense.
  2. (Lopsided) 4-3-3 shape in attack.
  3. Heavy emphasis on building up attacks through the left flank.
  4. Three defined midfielders who dictate play, and three defined attackers who would operate in and around the box, with the leftmost attacker participating in buildup play.
  5. High pressing and high defensive line with an offside trap.

Translating my ideas to Football Manager: 1. The Formation

Formation

4-4-1-1 Asymmetric ST (CR)

While not exactly a 4-4-2, I have dropped a striker into the AM strata, and I've opted for an Asymmetric 4-4-1-1 formation since I want the leftmost player of my front 3 to be involved heavily in the buildup, much like Insigne in Sarri's Napoli. In defense, it will still be a 4-4-2, so I can afford to make this change.

2. Team Instructions

image.png.ec8277654ba8e518850ca28813cceb43.png

Very simple instructions which define my playing style:

1. Standard mentality and Very Fluid team shape as inspired by @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s Sacchi recreation.
  2. Higher Defensive Line, Closing Down Much More and Offside Trap are self explanatory.
  3. Exploit the Left Flank to help focus attacks even more through the left.

3. Player Roles

Defense:

Defense.png.cdc9dd60bc16e4bbc7dc164e4ee1edd9.png

Fairly standard back 4, with the LB on Attack duty to further aid buildup down the left, and the RB on Defend duty, since I want my RB to hold his position and provide cover for the right winger, who will often push really high as the "Roamer'. I have used a Sweeper Keeper on Support duty as he would be the man to sweep up long balls over the top. I also experimented with an Inverted Wing Back on Defend duty for the RB, but ultimately decided to keep things simple with a WB-De with Sit Narrower PI.

Midfield:

Mid.png.5699fa548b37356763a46972355eac19.png

The most important strata, and the one which will ultimately shape the tactic.

• The WP, DLP and CM are my midfielders.
  • The IW on Attack duty is my "Roamer" - he is actually part of the front 3 in possession but defends as an RM out of possession.

Now, the key point. How exactly do I achieve the distinction between my 3 midfielders and the IW?

• None of my midfielders have an Attack duty.
  • None of my midfielders Get Further Forward.
  • The IW has both an Attack duty and he Gets Further Forward, creating a clear vertical shift in attack. In other words, he moves one strata forwards (into the AMR space), while the rest do not.
  • Two of my midfielders are playmakers, and as such, "ball magnets".
  • The two playmakers are situated next to each other, further encouraging ball retention and recycling of possession in that area.
  • WP-Su has "Sits Narrower" as a hardcoded PI, clearing up space for the LB on Attack duty to bomb forward and overlap.
  • CM-Su is my "free role", he does a bit of everything and I have an intelligent, world class midfielder, so I have given him complete freedom as a CM-Su with no PIs at all. 

Attack:

Att.png.24c34b0e40755ff26cded60d643a4300.png

• A Shadow Striker is one of my favourite roles in the game, he is the perfect blend between an attacking midfielder and a striker that I seek. He will link up heavily with the midfielders behind, and also with the CF-Su ahead of him. He is the link between my midfield and attack. He also arrives in the box and scores goals thanks to his Get Further Forward and Roam From Position PIs.
  • A CF-Su is a complete striker, and he will do everything while also leading the line. An interesting thing is that he is on Support duty, but the Shadow Striker and Inverted Winger are both on Attack duty. This creates interesting combinations, especially when he drops deep to link up, and the SS goes beyond him to attack the space he vacates, almost mimicking a False 9 with Inside Forwards on either side. He only has one PI: Move Into Channels.

Piecing it all together

Player.png.147b4c8cfc0b4e8d3b8c6c02eeb448c4.png

4. Quick Analysis

In Possession: Lopsided 4-3-3

A. Building up in the opposition half:

A clear midfield 3 and a front 3

3.png.b4a40488ac308541f335ebccc9f63377.png

My WP and CM-Su are in possession of the ball in the two screenshots. A clear midfield 3 and a front 3 is visible, with the LB staying high and wide as an option. DLP-De acts as the holding midfielder at the base of the midfield triangle. 

B: Building up from the defense:

2.png.fdaced0f21f89d1f356f071ef90bf592.png

The GK is in possession of the ball. The 3 midfielders stay noticeably deeper than the forwards, and they would offer themselves as passing options, whilst the forwards are further up and would look to exploit the space behind the opposition defense.

C: Front 3 Interplay

4.png.332b8c18e38cdc5c350e9e757ad10fdb.png

The #7 (CF-Su) is in possession of the ball in a deeper position than the SS and IW. He has the option to play either of them through with a simple through ball. In a way, the CF-Su behaves like a False 9 and the SS and IW both behave like Inside Forwards in a classic 4-3-3.

Out of Possession: Defending in a classic 4-4-2

D: High Press in a 4-4-2

5.png.781b43c21c112cf0dc92a31a6387b7d4.png

E: Default defending shape

6.png.3de06e8f3b2e5c17d4b3e62df56445ff.png

The opposition GK is looking to take a free kick, and we are ready to defend in a 4-4-2 shape.

That's it! we have achieved a 4-3-3 in attack and a 4-4-2 in defense, in the same tactic. This is by no means perfect, nor is it the end. I am constantly looking to improve the tactic and I hope that this will spark interesting discussion.

Thank you very much for reading my first serious thread in this community, and special mentions to @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, @Cleon, @herne79, @Rashidi, @Experienced Defender and many more whose write-ups have inspired me to do this! Thank you! :)

amazing thread, love seeing people creating their own philosophy :) 

Nice job :thup:.  Always good to see a new poster create this type of thread.  You had a plan, you stuck to it and made it work.  I particularly like how you think about not only the roles you allocate but also the players you use in those roles and how they combine, which all too often people don't consider but is key.  Keep it up :).

Nice tactic :)

Whenever I see these 442/433 hybrids it always reminds me of Man Utd in the 2006-2009 era, with Ronaldo 'officially' playing  as a right winger but more often supporting Rooney and Tevez as more of a front-3. Giggs compensated on the left by tucking inside and supporting the central midfielders. Almost identical roles and duties to the ones you have used in fact.

8 hours ago, herne79 said:

Nice job :thup:.  Always good to see a new poster create this type of thread.  You had a plan, you stuck to it and made it work.  I particularly like how you think about not only the roles you allocate but also the players you use in those roles and how they combine, which all too often people don't consider but is key.  Keep it up :).

Thanks herne! Means a lot coming from you :)

4 hours ago, Manutd1999 said:

Nice tactic :)

Whenever I see these 442/433 hybrids it always reminds me of Man Utd in the 2006-2009 era, with Ronaldo 'officially' playing  as a right winger but more often supporting Rooney and Tevez as more of a front-3. Giggs compensated on the left by tucking inside and supporting the central midfielders. Almost identical roles and duties to the ones you have used in fact.

Excellent point! That Man United side is a prime example of what I'm trying to create. 

Agree that if we talk about 4-4-1-1 turning into 4-3-3, then Man Utd famous 3-years period with Queiroz masterminding this version, is the prime example. Back then Man Utd's overall formation and style of play were truly ahead of their time. Even if during 2008 we saw the birth of Guardiola's Barcelona, I'd still regard that Man Utd version a bit higher due to their overall tactical flexibility.

However, if we're to talk about a proper 4-4-2 turning into 4-3-3 when in possession/attack, then there's only one truly great example - Ancelotti's Real Madrid during the 14/15 season. To my mind it was Ronaldo's last truly great season individually and the first season when he was predominantly used as a proper centre-forward. 

That shape-shifting formation with Ronaldo and Benzema up top, Isco coming on the left (with Marcelo bombing on) and joining Kroos and Modric in midfield with predominantly Rodrigues (and less often Bale) coming higher and narrower off the right, was indeed a great side too. It was beautiful how they combined the possession and attacking versatility of a proper 4-3-3 with the natural defensive solidity of the infamous 'two banks of 4' approach in a 4-4-2. 

I was so impressed with it that I used it as my default approach back in FM15 days. However, in contrast to the OP's version, I had a triple-pivot/playmaking unit of Isco as WP/a, Modric as DLP/s and Kroos as DLP/d with Rodriguez/Bale as WM/a (back in FM15 we didn't have the inverted winger role otherwise I'd have definitely use it). Up top, I had Ronaldo as CF/a and Benzema as simple DLF/s to emphasis the need to drop in and act as the link to the midfield 3 and allow space for the roaming Ronaldo and Rodriguez/Bale.

Marcelo as WB/a, Carvajal FB/s with Ramos BPD and Varane/Pepe as a simple CB. 

I really loved the overall positional and possession flexibility that could really break through any kind of opponent and formation; while also remain solid enough to not be easily cut apart on the break. 

Great thread and amazing insight! I feel like the tactics creator of FM17-18 offered more depth and more tactical variation. I've seen people recreate a lot of styles in these editions, and it just feels a little bit better from what I see in this forum. I don't know how it felt at the time though, because I never played any edition prior to FM20, and maybe it's just me getting overly frustrated at the current tactics creator because i'm a **** tactician:lol:

Edited by SCCP1910

This is a really great thread, :applause:

It’s quite similar to one I recently used on FM17, which was very much based on the 07-08 Man United team. The principle of defending in a 4-4-2 and attacking in a 4-3-3 was in my thoughts.

I went with:

GK (d), FB (s) BPD (d) CD (d) WB (a), WM (a) CM (s) DLP (d) WM (a), AM (a), CF (s) - the striker and AM were offset so it was an asymmetric 4-4-1-1 like the OP.

I ended up having both wide players on attack duties because I found that with a support duty, the wide midfielder was too deep and we became quite toothless in attack. Do you find this at all @Solosin?

Amazing stuff! Really well thought out and backed with some nice screenshots to show the tactic in it's full glory! 

In the screenshots under A and B, the right fullback looks like an IWB(d), so i assume those are taken before you made the switch to an WB(d)? 

Regarding that switch, did you make it because the IWB(d) made you more vunourable to counterattacks down that flank?

Keep up the good work, it looks like a blast from the past. Very nice!

Nothing to add apart from this being a really good thread. I all too often get caught up attempting to turn a 4231 into a 442 on defence, and always forget that it's far easier to turn a 442 into a 4231, or as you have done, a 433. 

It's all too easy to overcomplicate things and I'm a sucker for an exotic role, but this is deceptively simple and wildly effective. Love the images too, really shows what you have achieved and instantly eases any fears I might have that what you get on screen isn't the same as what you get in the tactics creator.   

On 03/08/2021 at 01:32, howard moon said:

This is a really great thread, :applause:

It’s quite similar to one I recently used on FM17, which was very much based on the 07-08 Man United team. The principle of defending in a 4-4-2 and attacking in a 4-3-3 was in my thoughts.

I went with:

GK (d), FB (s) BPD (d) CD (d) WB (a), WM (a) CM (s) DLP (d) WM (a), AM (a), CF (s) - the striker and AM were offset so it was an asymmetric 4-4-1-1 like the OP.

I ended up having both wide players on attack duties because I found that with a support duty, the wide midfielder was too deep and we became quite toothless in attack. Do you find this at all @Solosin?

The fundamental difference I think is that I didn't want both of my "wingers" to be aggressive WM(A)s, because I want to build up a bit more patiently 

Your roles and duties would be incredible for a counterattacking system, but since I'm one of the best teams in the league, we usually dominate possession in most games and a WP(Su) helps a lot in buildup play.

Also, did you find that the flank with WB(A) and WM(A) got exposed on the counter? I feel like it's a bit too aggressive to go with two attacking duties on the same flank. How did you manage to stabilize it @howard moon?

17 hours ago, Solosin said:

The fundamental difference I think is that I didn't want both of my "wingers" to be aggressive WM(A)s, because I want to build up a bit more patiently 

Your roles and duties would be incredible for a counterattacking system, but since I'm one of the best teams in the league, we usually dominate possession in most games and a WP(Su) helps a lot in buildup play.

Also, did you find that the flank with WB(A) and WM(A) got exposed on the counter? I feel like it's a bit too aggressive to go with two attacking duties on the same flank. How did you manage to stabilize it @howard moon?

Yeah, that makes sense. And I do find this system does create some great goals on the break or fast transitions.

The left flank is very aggressive, but it’s balanced by a pacey left-sided centre-back, a holding role on the left side of the midfield pairing and, because I’m Man United, most teams sit back and play on the break, so the risk/reward balance works.

Em 01/08/2021 em 17:23, Solosin disse:

Disclaimer: I still play FM18, however there shouldn't be any problems when this idea is implemented in newer versions of FM.

What is a "Shifting" Formation?

One thing that I always like in real life is when teams seemingly "shift" to a different formation when they defend. This could be a 4-2-3-1 that becomes a 4-4-2, when the AM and STC spread and form a front 2, leading the press. Or when a 4-3-3 becomes a 4-4-2, when one of the wingers stays with the striker to form a front 2, and the other drops back into the defensive line. I like to call this formation "shifting".

But how to translate this into Football Manager? I believe this can be achieved by two ways:

1. Vertical shifting: AMR becomes MR, RWB becomes RB, AM becomes CM. They directly fall back one strata to aid the defense. This can easily be achieved in FM by playing an attack duty or just playing a role which "Gets further forward". It is why a lot of real-life 4-2-3-1s are often replicated in FM as 4-4-1-1s.
  2. Horizontal shifting: When a RCM defends as an RM, a STCR defends as an AMR. This is when it becomes tricky.

The obvious solution is to ask him to man mark an opposition player who will be operating in the area that I want him to defend in. But I don't want to do that, because:

1. Fundamentally, I don't like man marking.
  2. I want to defend dynamically, and intelligently. I don't want my STCR to always follow around the opposition LB like a headless chicken, I want him to defend that space and make decisions like he would when defending normally.

Now that I have decided I'm not going to use any man marking instructions, I am left with no choice but to structure my team in the formation which I like to defend in, and further tweak it in such a way that I create the formation I desire when in possession. 

In other words, I'm going to play a 4-4-2 which will be a 4-3-3 in possession.

Defining my 4-3-3 and 4-4-2

I do not claim to create a 4-3-3 in its classical sense, I am simply creating my own 4-3-3, which is my personal philosophy and the way I want my team to play.

I am a big fan of attacking with a 4-3-3 shape, and defending with a 4-4-2 shape. I like to have 3 midfielders and 3 attackers in possession, and I also like to have 2 solid banks of four without possession. My 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 can be described as:

1. In attack: A 4-3-3 with a designated "creative flank" and a "roaming flank", and overloading the creative flank in buildup. 
    • My 4-3-3 is heavily focused on building up play through one flank and having all my technical players in that flank. The other flank would have a free "roamer", who would often lurk around, arrive late into the box and finish off moves that are orchestrated by my "creative" flank by means of a quick cross-field ball that will unlock the opposition defense.
    • This idea is heavily influenced by Maurizio Sarri and his Napoli side, who famously played a sort of lopsided 4-3-3 with an emphasis on building up through the left flank. Insigne, Hamsik, Jorginho and Ghoulam all heavily participated in the buildup and would often make a quick switch of play to Callejon, who was a "roamer" and would arrive at the far post to finish off moves.
  2. In defense:  A Sacchi-inspired 4-4-2

Final Objectives

To sum up, I want to accomplish:

1. Solid 4-4-2 shape in defense.
  2. (Lopsided) 4-3-3 shape in attack.
  3. Heavy emphasis on building up attacks through the left flank.
  4. Three defined midfielders who dictate play, and three defined attackers who would operate in and around the box, with the leftmost attacker participating in buildup play.
  5. High pressing and high defensive line with an offside trap.

Translating my ideas to Football Manager: 1. The Formation

Formation

4-4-1-1 Asymmetric ST (CR)

While not exactly a 4-4-2, I have dropped a striker into the AM strata, and I've opted for an Asymmetric 4-4-1-1 formation since I want the leftmost player of my front 3 to be involved heavily in the buildup, much like Insigne in Sarri's Napoli. In defense, it will still be a 4-4-2, so I can afford to make this change.

2. Team Instructions

image.png.ec8277654ba8e518850ca28813cceb43.png

Very simple instructions which define my playing style:

1. Standard mentality and Very Fluid team shape as inspired by @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!'s Sacchi recreation.
  2. Higher Defensive Line, Closing Down Much More and Offside Trap are self explanatory.
  3. Exploit the Left Flank to help focus attacks even more through the left.

3. Player Roles

Defense:

Defense.png.cdc9dd60bc16e4bbc7dc164e4ee1edd9.png

Fairly standard back 4, with the LB on Attack duty to further aid buildup down the left, and the RB on Defend duty, since I want my RB to hold his position and provide cover for the right winger, who will often push really high as the "Roamer'. I have used a Sweeper Keeper on Support duty as he would be the man to sweep up long balls over the top. I also experimented with an Inverted Wing Back on Defend duty for the RB, but ultimately decided to keep things simple with a WB-De with Sit Narrower PI.

Midfield:

Mid.png.5699fa548b37356763a46972355eac19.png

The most important strata, and the one which will ultimately shape the tactic.

• The WP, DLP and CM are my midfielders.
  • The IW on Attack duty is my "Roamer" - he is actually part of the front 3 in possession but defends as an RM out of possession.

Now, the key point. How exactly do I achieve the distinction between my 3 midfielders and the IW?

• None of my midfielders have an Attack duty.
  • None of my midfielders Get Further Forward.
  • The IW has both an Attack duty and he Gets Further Forward, creating a clear vertical shift in attack. In other words, he moves one strata forwards (into the AMR space), while the rest do not.
  • Two of my midfielders are playmakers, and as such, "ball magnets".
  • The two playmakers are situated next to each other, further encouraging ball retention and recycling of possession in that area.
  • WP-Su has "Sits Narrower" as a hardcoded PI, clearing up space for the LB on Attack duty to bomb forward and overlap.
  • CM-Su is my "free role", he does a bit of everything and I have an intelligent, world class midfielder, so I have given him complete freedom as a CM-Su with no PIs at all. 

Attack:

Att.png.24c34b0e40755ff26cded60d643a4300.png

• A Shadow Striker is one of my favourite roles in the game, he is the perfect blend between an attacking midfielder and a striker that I seek. He will link up heavily with the midfielders behind, and also with the CF-Su ahead of him. He is the link between my midfield and attack. He also arrives in the box and scores goals thanks to his Get Further Forward and Roam From Position PIs.
  • A CF-Su is a complete striker, and he will do everything while also leading the line. An interesting thing is that he is on Support duty, but the Shadow Striker and Inverted Winger are both on Attack duty. This creates interesting combinations, especially when he drops deep to link up, and the SS goes beyond him to attack the space he vacates, almost mimicking a False 9 with Inside Forwards on either side. He only has one PI: Move Into Channels.

Piecing it all together

Player.png.147b4c8cfc0b4e8d3b8c6c02eeb448c4.png

4. Quick Analysis

In Possession: Lopsided 4-3-3

A. Building up in the opposition half:

A clear midfield 3 and a front 3

3.png.b4a40488ac308541f335ebccc9f63377.png

My WP and CM-Su are in possession of the ball in the two screenshots. A clear midfield 3 and a front 3 is visible, with the LB staying high and wide as an option. DLP-De acts as the holding midfielder at the base of the midfield triangle. 

B: Building up from the defense:

2.png.fdaced0f21f89d1f356f071ef90bf592.png

The GK is in possession of the ball. The 3 midfielders stay noticeably deeper than the forwards, and they would offer themselves as passing options, whilst the forwards are further up and would look to exploit the space behind the opposition defense.

C: Front 3 Interplay

4.png.332b8c18e38cdc5c350e9e757ad10fdb.png

The #7 (CF-Su) is in possession of the ball in a deeper position than the SS and IW. He has the option to play either of them through with a simple through ball. In a way, the CF-Su behaves like a False 9 and the SS and IW both behave like Inside Forwards in a classic 4-3-3.

Out of Possession: Defending in a classic 4-4-2

D: High Press in a 4-4-2

5.png.781b43c21c112cf0dc92a31a6387b7d4.png

E: Default defending shape

6.png.3de06e8f3b2e5c17d4b3e62df56445ff.png

The opposition GK is looking to take a free kick, and we are ready to defend in a 4-4-2 shape.

That's it! we have achieved a 4-3-3 in attack and a 4-4-2 in defense, in the same tactic. This is by no means perfect, nor is it the end. I am constantly looking to improve the tactic and I hope that this will spark interesting discussion.

Thank you very much for reading my first serious thread in this community, and special mentions to @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, @Cleon, @herne79, @Rashidi, @Experienced Defender and many more whose write-ups have inspired me to do this! Thank you! :)

Very nice! Reading this brought me back to my FM11/12 days, had something like this, and i think i might try again

On 11/08/2021 at 00:10, Dj-Voodoo said:

How can this be transposed to FM21?

Particularly: Counter/No Counter and Regroup/Counterpress 

I guess it depends on the kind of football you want to play.

If I were to translate the Sacchi style to FM21, I'd definitely go counterpress, no question about it. Sacchi is synonymous with pressing and counterpressing.

I'd also go with Counter, because Sacchi's Milan were deadly in transitions.

On 13/08/2021 at 22:57, FJW said:

What results have you had with this? 

In theory this is a brilliant tactic, the OP is well laid out and the balance is excellent but here is the problem there is no point the OP proving this works to you because what probably works brilliantly for him might not work for you. 

The players you have and the attributes they have will have a large effect on the tactic. I know that seems obvious but in a press heavy, high line tactic like this if you don't have the right attributes in certain positions and by attributes I mean ones that aren't obvious you will end up struggling.

The tactic though is fundamentally very sound and with the right players should produce great results.