*Suggestion* Fatigue is out of control, dial it back or change the way

lamp

Professional players who play on Wednesday shouldn't be dying (red) by halftime on Saturday. Players who play Sat, Sat, Wed shouldn't be at very high risk of injury for the next Saturday game (3 games in a 14 day period), especially if they only played a handful of minutes as a sub on one of those days. Between the underlying mechanism and the feedback to the user, this is far too much in a way that doesn't reflect reality.

And the outcome is that human users find a way around this, but in ways that hurt the gameplay experience. Almost every sub made is not tactical but because the field is full of players who ''are looking exhausted out there and have given their all" . Or you pull out the stops to sign a near-full strength second XI and then some, and rotate far more aggressively than any real team would (and without much penalty...I mean imagine Harry Kane being told to sit midweek Premier League games, or Erling Haaland not starting every game when healthy because he frequently looks jaded and in need of a rest). This isn't how football teams are managed. And the result is that the AI teams are handicapped, because they can't and won't do this at anywhere near the level a human can.

If anything, this effect has gotten more extreme compared to previous versions of the game. And in international competitions it's broken on top of that -- fatigue is far more extreme. (Why?...)

I'd suggest substantially removing fatigue as a factor on a game-by-game basis. Instead, work in some cumulative effects that kicks in to drop a player out of form after an extended run of games without break: for example, perhaps their match sharpness meter can go into overdrive above 100% and turn into a penalty, particularly after an international break full of minutes. And of course it needs to be based on minutes, not games played: a 5-minute runout should have no effect. But 90 minutes Saturday? They're back to 100% fitness by even Tuesday.

And the injury risk shouldn't be that tied to fatigue, either. Again: humans will keep their stars healthier than the AI can. The impactful injuries that happen to squads are a lot more random, across the board unavoidable. Yes, there's some real degree of overuse leading to injury but what you have now is a human-only carveout to lower the chance of bad effects that the AI cannot match. Realism is better modeled more randomly, more unavoidably, and no matter how many fitness coaches or physios you sign.

To compensate, player and locker harmony can be a lot more volatile. Your key players really need to be playing almost all the time and can more easily be unhappy if they're only in a regular rotation. Smaller AI squads won't have an issue, but human super squads should be impossible to sustain. And the transfer/loan market should become much harder to cheese. You can't just buy any player from any club if they're available and you have money, and you can't just sell off most decent players for value whenever you need to...or buy a massive loan army with no risk. Smaller squads and more consequence with each transfer in and out.

Anyway, that's my gripe/suggestion for the day. I want to be managing football games, not massaging my way around a set of game mechanics. And I can't even just do a house rule about not building an oversized squad because none of my players can consistently go Saturday-Wed-Saturday without looking dead on the field.

Edited by lamp

• SI Staff

Thanks for your feedback on player fatigue. To respond to your suggestions given to improve the player fatigue feature in particular, fatigue does accumulate from a game by game basis in real life so that is unlikely to change. Similarly fatigue is a factor of injury risk in real life too so again is unlikely to change. The issues with fatigue that you are facing do sound extreme, it could well be the case there is a bug and so may be worth posting in this forum: Training, Medical and Development Centre - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com) The suggestions are part of our internal database of features for consideration. Like all features raised to us, it could end up rejected, or could after extensive design and development become a part of a future FM.