[Discussion] delete the halfback

a5864003

It is now very common for defensive midfielders to come down between centre-backs or sideways. FM needs to use a halfback (even that can't go next to the centerback) to implement this, so it's hard to give tactical diversity to the halfback is used. I hope all the other defensive midfielders will be able to choose from their own personal guidance as well.

DM  CB   CB  or  CB   CB  DM

I wish this was possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Abdullah Patel changed the title to [Discussion] delete the halfback

If dropping to centre backs was a player instruction for DM's, you could maybe:

1) build a 3atb formation with a dm on the side as the 3rd cb but more aggressive, halfway between a stopper and a libero

2) it could fix the inability to make use of a libero meaningfully in most formations

I love the half back as its currently implemented, except the fact its fixed to the central dm

I think there would be utility in having a PI to instruct a player to cover, position himself/herself on a specific area of the pitch when the team is in possession.

Maybe require some on-field relationship between CM/DM and the full back positions (stronger relationship = more fluid coverage/understand when full back attacks and CM/DM covers).

Ideally, your assistant or the analysis squares would point out if your FB and CM/DM would be overloading the zone, or if the player in question is responsible for too much ground.

Crudely like (dark green zone primary responsibility, light green is game state dependent e.g, ball is coming down opposite flank.)
image.thumb.png.6c367c3c9a4ea9c554240228dd0e2e96.png

Alternatively have a drop down to specify which position to cover for when the team is in possession

image.thumb.png.7057d8b3d6e8d26b461eced9723876ef.png

i always thought that there should be a role as DM/Cover in FM to do all this things in the defending half of our team.

Attributes : Anticipation - Decisions - Positioning - Teamwork/Workrate of course and Stamina and Concetration maybe

• 6 months later...