Firing and Hiring New Staff

Greetings Good People,

I have a board that has limits on the coaches I can have.  I need to replace a coach who is terrible.  Do I need to fire him first then find a replacement?  I tried to hire his replacement but the board said no because they felt there were enough coaches for that category of coach.

I don't want to fire him first then have to look for someone while we stay short a coach.  Should I just fire him right before the new coach accepts?  It's just that the further it gets, the board says no to proceeding with contract negotiations if I am over the coach limits.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

You need to have space for a coach before the board will allow you to sign a new coach- you would be best to identify the one that you want and then fire the old coach before offering the new one a contract.  Bear in mind that you will have to pay the old coach the balance of his contract when you fire him.

I don't think I've ever had a coach refuse mutual termination, which can save quite a bit of money versus just firing them.

Also some boards are a bit more lenient in that I've often - but not always! - had the option to replace an existing coach with a new hire. Getting rid of the existing coach is a better option, but it's always a bit of gamble because the new coach can have a last-minute change of heart and join another club.

can you not agree contract with him and then choose the coach to release in his place?  So, agree to sign the new guy, then it should give you option in a drop down box for him to replace the "terrible" one..  

47 minutes ago, rinso said:

it should give you option in a drop down box for him to replace the "terrible" one

Usually get that option, but you occasionally get a board that won't and they just cancel the new hire without giving you the choice.

I would also check you can attract better coaches first! Personally I wait until their contracts expire before making changes and as mentioned you may have to pay off contracts

You could ask the board if they will allow an increase in coaches you can have

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 06:21, MrPompey said:

I would also check you can attract better coaches first! Personally I wait until their contracts expire before making changes and as mentioned you may have to pay off contracts

You could ask the board if they will allow an increase in coaches you can have

This is definitely a strategy.  However, the coaches are really terrible and need to be replaced.  Like we are Coventry and our fitness coach is an 8.  That's a killer.  So, for some of the coaches I will wait until their contracts expires.  However, the really bad ones need to go sooner I think.

10 hours ago, LyghtWayve said:

This is definitely a strategy.  However, the coaches are really terrible and need to be replaced.  Like we are Coventry and our fitness coach is an 8.  That's a killer.  So, for some of the coaches I will wait until their contracts expires.  However, the really bad ones need to go sooner I think.

as an aside whilst no good for your save is there a case that the existing Coventry staff are better than their attributes? Can you check if any have recently undergone training for coaching badges in real life?

On 10/08/2021 at 22:29, warlock said:

Usually get that option, but you occasionally get a board that won't and they just cancel the new hire without giving you the choice.

That happens when they are worried about the money for the compensation for firing the rubbish guy

What I'd do: approach the new coach and offer him/her a contract.

Ask the board for more coaches in the meantime (if possible). If yes, great.

If they decline, wait until the new coach agrees and is ready to sign. Then you're asked to fire someone to make space for the new person. I'd offer a mutual termination to the coach I'd want to part ways with. As soon as you confirm that, the new coach's contract is confirmed as well.

This way I wouldn't spend one day with less coaches than the limit.

5 hours ago, MrPompey said:

as an aside whilst no good for your save is there a case that the existing Coventry staff are better than their attributes? Can you check if any have recently undergone training for coaching badges in real life?

Thanks, I will check.  By the way, how do I send coaches to training?  Do I have to wait until it is offered or can I click on a coach and send them to training?

3 hours ago, kokafalasi said:

What I'd do: approach the new coach and offer him/her a contract.

Ask the board for more coaches in the meantime (if possible). If yes, great.

If they decline, wait until the new coach agrees and is ready to sign. Then you're asked to fire someone to make space for the new person. I'd offer a mutual termination to the coach I'd want to part ways with. As soon as you confirm that, the new coach's contract is confirmed as well.

This way I wouldn't spend one day with less coaches than the limit.

Is there always the option to fire someone to make space for the new person?  I have not seen that option when signing a new coach and you are at the limit.

in previous version the Board would jsut cancel a transfer of coach that was not in budget. now the game gives u a warning and an option to replace the exiting person in that position. found this yesterday and it was head coach under23s. so that was only one person in position. i don't know how it would work if it was potion that there were multiple candidates already working for like coaches. i maybe wrong but i think the DOF tries to arrange a mutual termination. in my case the existing employee had finished his contract and was on a monthly rolling contract so no much loss.