AI barely cares about role suitability

I occasionally look at my assistant's suggestions for team selection. But a lot of the time, they just do not at all make sense.

This is what I would probably call my best 11 (it's hard to pinpoint one, I like to rotate a lot)

image.thumb.png.43d994f425695274f472ed7c6b33631b.png

In the mean time, if I use the best XI option in the pick menu, I get this:

image.thumb.png.01d63b00e404872557dbe6d62f275406.png

So this is what the AI thinks my best XI is. Amick for Haddouche I don't mind, they're both good players. Amick is just in better form. Barraud starting I don't mind either, he's good and has a lot of potential. And Bernal is normally good as well, he's just having a terrible season, so he's not getting selected.

My main problem lies in the defence. Bento Smith is one of my best CBs, but my assistant decides to put him at RB. 

image.thumb.png.a6fd0e9ae4bd5d51fe87f0ef6892778f.png

My problem is: he is a left-footer with 6 crossing , 7 dribbling and  6 off the ball. His passing, first touch and teamwork aren't great either. Even as in Inverted Wing-Back, his suggested role, he's not that good, compared to his suitability as a centre back. But he is a natural left back, he's one of my better players. So he has to be in the team, the AI just doesn't care where he is, as long as he can play the position, his suitability doesn't seem to matter.

Well who is playing at centre back then? Someone better right? Well, Sadick is a solid centre back yes. But there is no sight of my other good centre back Vujaklija.

image.thumb.png.6aebe7662e3622e54c50e4d0246a9f6e.png

Instead he starts Vestergaard:

image.thumb.png.c91b46596c8be7cf9e96e298a30e88a5.png

Vestergaard is a great player and I paid a large fee to get him. But surely he's not the best choice at centre back?! He is a good passer. But his marking, tackling and positioning are very average and worse than Vujaklija and Smith. BUT he is a good player and natural at CB so the AI wants him in the team at any cost. I suppose the reason he doesn't start ahead of Barraud at the DLP spot is because he's 'only' accomplished there. But I feel that the AI should be able to see that a player is more suited to a different role and position, even if they are not a natural there. How will the AI ever retrain a player otherwise anyways?

This doesn't just happend to my players either:
In a different save Wolves had a very solid looking young RB. He was even quite competent going foward (which is still very rare for newgen fullbacks, despite attacking fullbacks having been the norm in football for years now). 

image.thumb.png.59ead27996d3633d5017ec47d71f992b.png

image.thumb.png.878ee42cc4ee731215bd3977afcd0d92.png

But the AI constantly played him at CB. Despite being only 170 cm! I played wolves and my 196 cm striker obviously destroyed the poor kid. 

The reason for this seems to that the Wolves manager at the time didn't play with wingbacks. And instead used wide midfielders. But I feel like the AI should in this situation show the intelligence to instead retrain him to play MR. But no, they just play him in a role he is unsuitable for, because he is already a natural there. 

Also the next season they did play with wingbacks and he did play there. But most of the time he still played centre back.

image.thumb.png.4a683099f4d225b90a9e31cc644f8c60.png

(I do see that his average rating that season was better at CB than in his few games at WB. But with how rare well rounded fullback are when all real players are gone. Seeing one of the few got put at CB did annoy me.)

I don't have full documentation for some other problems. But I do also see world class strikers start one the wing with their best foot on the outside. But then again, Mbappe also plays like that for PSG at times, so that kind of makes sense. The CB at full back is my biggest gripe, especially if they have terrible attacking stats and are playing an attacking role.

I uploaded two saves. One with my Genk example and one with the Wolves example:

• Matthias Heymans - KRC Genk 2031.02.23.fm
  • Matthias Heymans - Southampton 2044.04.12.fm

( I didn't upload the June file for the Wolves example, because I figured you need to actually analyse team selection, which is hard at the end of the season.)

I also saw this post from a couple of months ago, which kind of talks about the same issue. But it didn't get a response.