My star man lacks initiative.

It is very hard to see someone take the initiative and dribble past the ai defenders than just past it to the nearest player.

For my star man I have tried a lot of AMC roles so he can unlock defence using his dribbling and flair. However a lot of the time he doesn't even take the players on and will rather make an intelligent pass than a dribble even when he has the time and space to dribble he moves rather gingerly.

I not sure whether I should take off the team express yourself instruction or increase/decrease his mentality.

I have contemplated on making him more selfish like adding shoot more often but i worry if that will take a toll on his already great decision making.

8 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Best is to provide info.

Post over in the tactics forum with how you're setting up, your situation, the player in question and what your issue(s) are.

I am playing a 4312 with wing backs, balanced mentality, structured, cm on defend, two carrileros, and two AF. Usually play short or balanced passing.

The problem doesn't reside with the 10 being disfunctional there is space for him to dribble, he has time to make the play but he would rather pass; he doesn't have any traits that cause this and despite all of this he still does well just not as flamboyant as I hoped.

2 minutes ago, De Nile said:

I am playing a 4312 with wing backs, balanced mentality, structured, cm on defend, two carrileros, and two AF. Usually play short or balanced passing.

The problem doesn't reside with the 10 being disfunctional there is space for him to dribble, he has time to make the play but he would rather pass; he doesn't have any traits that cause this and despite all of this he still does well just not as flamboyant as I hoped.

My point remains though. If you have tactical issues, it's going to be best detailing those issues along with how you have set up - basically providing as much info as possible is the key.

8 minutes ago, De Nile said:

Defending is fine, pressing is fine I'm very happy with it it is just how I want one person to play that is all. We still win all our games.

It's still going to be best providing as much info as possible in the tactics forum. They would be able to advise on your situation.

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

My point remains though. If you have tactical issues, it's going to be best detailing those issues along with how you have set up - basically providing as much info as possible is the key.

Uploading photos is a bit of problem at the moment. That aside I don't ask for my whole tactic to be examined all I ask is for thought and reason. If you check this forum a lot of questions like these have been asked and answered in older FM's. I don't know what to say but if you are talk about the player in question then he has all the required attributes to dribble and create. He's fairly professional. He has 16 flair/decisions/OTB/, 15 acceleration/pace/vision, 17 dribbling/first touch/ technique.

Edited by De Nile

6 minutes ago, De Nile said:

Uploading photos is a bit of problem at the moment. That aside I don't ask for my whole tactic to be examined all I ask is for thought and reason. If you check this forum a lot of questions like these have been asked and answered in older FM's. I don't know what to say but if you are talk about the player in question then he has all the required attributes to dribble and create. He's fairly professional. He has 16 flair/decisions/OTB/, 15 acceleration/pace/vision, 17 dribbling/first touch/ technique.

Ok. He sounds perfect for an AMC role that creates and takes initiative.  :thup:

If you want tactical advice, it's still going to be best to ask in the tactics section. They can advise on how to use this player best, but again, it's going to be best to provide the full picture.

6 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Ok. He sounds perfect for an AMC role that creates and takes initiative.  :thup:

If you want tactical advice, it's still going to be best to ask in the tactics section. They can advise on how to use this player best, but again, it's going to be best to provide the full picture.

I understand what your saying but the photos aren't really loading up. Tbh I should have explained from the start. Don't you have the power to reallocate this question to the tactics section?

Edited by De Nile

1 hour ago, De Nile said:

For my star man I have tried a lot of AMC roles so he can unlock defence using his dribbling and flair. However a lot of the time he doesn't even take the players on and will rather make an intelligent pass than a dribble even when he has the time and space to dribble he moves rather gingerly.

I am playing a 4312 with wing backs, balanced mentality, structured, cm on defend, two carrileros, and two AF.

Your issue isn't with your AMC.  Your issue is you don't have anyone pulling opposition players out of position to give your AMC the opportunity to use his dribbling and flair.  Two advanced forwards are just looking to push back defenders, hoping to latch onto through balls or crosses (or dribble themselves); two Carrileros are going to hang back deeper rather than making incisive runs to drag defenders away.

When you set up a tactic try to think in terms of the whole rather than individuals and consider variety of play.

However, those comments are aimed at your specific issue but you have a successful team already.  So if you do tinker be careful you don't break a winning formula.

That aside I don't ask for my whole tactic to be examined all I ask is for thought and reason.

That's the thing though - as mentioned above the whole tactic needs to be considered because sometimes the issue may have a different cause (such as here where I don't think the "problem" lies with your AMC).  That's why @HUNT3R recommends you post in the Tactics forum :thup:.

13 minutes ago, herne79 said:

That's the thing though - as mentioned above the whole tactic needs to be considered because sometimes the issue may have a different cause (such as here where I don't think the "problem" lies with your AMC).  That's why @HUNT3R recommends you post in the Tactics forum :thup:.

I thought mods have the power to move questions into different forums if they don't belong here. Because I am not keen on retyping everything.

Edited by De Nile

I have found that training the "Runs with ball" trait makes them really want to go at it with their dribbling skills much more. Of course, the extent of his attributes determines how successful and perhaps how often he does try it. 

But that learning the trait is IMO the biggest factor to whether he's trying to dribble a lot. Then, choosing the right role modifies the behavior. And then his attributes and other tactical settings finetune it even more.

What @samuelawachiesays, the trait helps out quite a lot 

Players need space to accelerate into (more so than in real life IMO), the further up the pitch & central you go the harder it is to find that yard

Have a look at players in your team that do dribble, they probably receive the ball facing up-field normally & have a fair bit of space to run into to get up to speed, your chap won't have that luxury so runs are rarer 

Edited by Johnny Ace