Replacing Oceania national teams

RexEverything

Hi all, looking for some advice on a big project I'd like to do.

I want to create ten new nations, replacing teams in the Oceania confederation. I'd also like to set it so that the remaining Oceania teams functionally don't exist - they would no longer take part in any competitions or qualifiers, if that is possible? I guess I can't remove them completely, but it wouldn't matter if they're just there in the background

In addition, I want to swap New Zealand for East Timor, so NZ would join Australia in the Asian WC qualifiers etc, and East Timor would then be replaced by one of my new teams.

Club teams from my ten new nations would compete in one continent-wide league and cup competitions

Is this doable, or am I only kidding myself?

This is doable, although there might be more to it than you realise.

Also, extincting nations so they don't exist, is possible. I have the USSR, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia without issue. It takes a bit of work.

Currently at work, so will explain a bit more later.

In the meantime, can you tell which new nations and what plans you have exactly? Then I have extra info to add to my explanation.

So essentially I want to create the continent of Westeros from Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire.

The ten nations would be The North, Dorne, Riverlands etc. from the books and show

All club teams would compete in the Westeros football league, but each region would compete seperately for World Cup and Olympics qualification, and hopefully in some sort of Westeros Nations Cup.

I want to use:
American Samoa  
Kiribati
Papua New Guinea 
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tahiti
Timor Leste (switched with NZ)
Tonga
Vanuatu

New Caledonia,  Cook Islands, Fiji, Micronesia and Tuvalu would hopefully be removed entirely, or at least sidelined so they don't pop up in game.

Understand it will involve a lot of data input, which I'm fine with, but I haven't attempted anything this big in the editor before. (I previously replaced Northern Ireland with Westeros as one country and managed that ok, but think I'll need some guidance on this one)

thanks!

Cool. Sounds like a tough bit of work. but a challenge is fun. A few more questions to make sure we have all the details (high level) and some notes of things I have seen in the data for you to consider.

• Do you also want to have a Continental club Cup (currently Oceania Champions League)? Since your national competition is played in one nation it is not necessar and would be a bit more complicated. But just checking to be sure.
  • You will have to take into account that players from outside Westeros will pop up on occassion. At this moment FM21 it can't be blocked as newgens can have primary or secondary nationalities outside your realm

On the editing part

You have several blocks of work.

• National competition and changes needed in the other 9 countries to have them play in your 'main' nation. This will probably also include things like renaming teams, cities and such.
  • International competitions and qualifiers (this is a tough one....)
  • Extincting and moving nations (this is one is dependent on the international competitions and cannot be done before doing the those)

Step 1, the national competition is the easy one and the best one to start. I think the best one would be to keep the countries apart and NOT move all teams to your main nation. You 'swansea' them all, where your nation becomes the nation where the Westeros Football League is in, the Based Nation remains the original nation so refers to the 'true nation'. Continental Cup Nation is only relevant when a team plays in a continental club competition. It is easiest to keep them to their original country at first.

image.png.022be6c6ba3c98542795561312d12d90.png

After that it is just building, testing and working out your competition and the team, local region and city name changes.

You end up here with a working Westeros Football League and if everything is OK, also a working OFC Champions League (that's why I said, keep the continental cup nation to their original country at first)

Step 2 is the tough one, as here is more going on than you would realise. Reason is because competitions are connected and if you edit/remove one, other competitions will fall.

The World Cup, Olympic Games and World Club Cup Championship are examples of this. Setting this up would ultimately involve advanced rules and that's something different.

So here plan ahead and decide

• which competitions you want to keep (example, World Cup, Olympics, Asian Nations Cup, Oceania Nations Cup)
  • which competitions you no longer need (example, Pacific Nations Cup, OFC Champions League, World Club Cup Championship)

You can set those things up basic rules, but basic rules have limitations unfortunately. Advanced rules have limitations as well, but there is a lot more possible there.

I think when you are working on step 1 we have more than enough time to discuss step 2. I have done a complete world rebuild with removing nations and creating new nations, and on top of that have redone all those international competitions and international club competitions, so I can help with that, but it is obviously your project and your idea, so I merely want to hand the information out and not send in a specific direction.

Thanks for the advice so far, very much appreciated! I think I wouldn't keep the Oceania Champions League or Pacific Nations Cups. Hopefully the World Cup, Olympics and Asian Nations would stay. I'd want a competition for the Westeros National Teams, and I'd want Westeros teams to be eligible for the World Club Championship

One thing you could test is when you switch East Timor and New Zealand and see if the game accepts that. If it does and New Zealand would take every place East Timor was in before, it would be much easier.

2 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

One thing you could test is when you switch East Timor and New Zealand and see if the game accepts that. If it does and New Zealand would take every place East Timor was in before, it would be much easier.

I do this with the resource archiver, is that right? Haven't tried it yet but hope to have time tomorrow to have a play.

Might leave the other teams in, and just rename them to something in keeping with the theme if that will be much easier in the long run

You have to change the continent of those two teams and to be able to edit those you need to extract the comp editor file with the resource archiver.

If the East Timor- New Zealand switch works, it means you wouldn't have to redo some of the Asian competition, that would be a big win in terms of less work. In Oceania you can delete those nations as you go wild there anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I would use Fiji and The Cook Islands instead of American Samoa and Tahiti as American Samoa will have players come through with American as a second nationality and Tahiti will add French as a second. Also, those nations will only ever play each other in friendlies no matter how high they rank unless something has changed since I last used oceania nations as a balkanised Australia.

Edited by Jolanthustrel
additional

I wanted to say, check the FIFA checkbox, but that's already checked. In this case, make sure they are included in your Oceanic Cup system and potentially think of a Melanesia/Polynesia Cup. That used be played.

• 1 month later...

You would want something like this. Just ignore the Europe for a moment, that's on me.

You want to set the nations in the nations tab when creating club continental rules. Next you want to add the teams per nations where the numbers of first and last nations correspond with the numbering on the nations screen. Hope the screenshot help.

image.png.c9c5bd97a158d39437e0d4008ec08750.png

image.thumb.png.49ca597def21f4b7e989dee4852be0aa.png

Just to say, that some nations is impossible to make swansea (a club from outside the nation and qualifying to the any club contienental competition). This is because the nation is hardcoded that makes impossible for this to happen, case in point USA.

20 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

You would want something like this. Just ignore the Europe for a moment, that's on me.

You want to set the nations in the nations tab when creating club continental rules. Next you want to add the teams per nations where the numbers of first and last nations correspond with the numbering on the nations screen. Hope the screenshot help.

image.png.c9c5bd97a158d39437e0d4008ec08750.png

image.thumb.png.49ca597def21f4b7e989dee4852be0aa.png

That's great, thanks very much!

17 hours ago, grade said:

Just to say, that some nations is impossible to make swansea (a club from outside the nation and qualifying to the any club contienental competition). This is because the nation is hardcoded that makes impossible for this to happen, case in point USA.

Thanks, I will look out for that - hopefully doesn't apply to any of the nations I'm planning to use